The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Catch and release  (Read 3554 times)

Offline BobberdownMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Catch and release
« Reply #30 on: Nov 19, 2020, 09:15 PM »
Why is the deer hunting bad? It can’t be lack of deer right? There’s some management that’s off here on both sides. I don’t blame out of staters coming here to hunt because it’s literally a deer free for all. I’m going to write a letter to the commission . They need to change mule deer management in this state. I want my child whose months from being born to have the opportunities I had when I was 12 but on the current path it won’t be close. Not even close. We will have to take reservations to hunt because of the numbers of deer and hunters

Offline BobberdownMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Nov 19, 2020, 09:18 PM »
I know things change in the world. I get it. But these dynamics in play are not a change for the good. The only thing benefiting are the hotel and bar owners.

Offline highlakelunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 14, 2020, 08:04 PM »
I hate to contribute to the thread creep but can’t help myself... They dropped the mule deer permit requirement for a bunch of the areas here around Helena. Not sure what the rationale was, other than there finally being some bigger bucks around. I would guess they were getting complaints from people seeing big bucks and mad because they couldn’t shoot it. We’ll be back down to only two pointers again in no time.

I grew up outside Gardiner and that area was always hammered by all the out of district elk hunters who settled for a dink buck instead. The mulie’s instinct to freeze and watch works well against their historical predators but not so great against frustrated elk hunters with high powered rifles and an A tag to burn.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 14, 2020, 08:12 PM »
I hate to contribute to the thread creep but can’t help myself... They dropped the mule deer permit requirement for a bunch of the areas here around Helena. Not sure what the rationale was, other than there finally being some bigger bucks around. I would guess they were getting complaints from people seeing big bucks and mad because they couldn’t shoot it. We’ll be back down to only two pointers again in no time.

I grew up outside Gardiner and that area was always hammered by all the out of district elk hunters who settled for a dink buck instead. The mulie’s instinct to freeze and watch works well against their historical predators but not so great against frustrated elk hunters with high powered rifles and an A tag to burn.

Yea, they also dropped the pick what hunting area you wanted to hunt deer in, I'm guessing that was from complaints also.

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Dec 14, 2020, 10:40 PM »
Hey guys, this is nothing more than the on going bunch of bulls--t about what is perfectly legal and whatever you choose to do. Gimme a break here. Don't we have better things to discuss? I like fillets and I leave a bunch return to the water as I so choose. Tell me I'm wrong and you are an egotist, in my opinion.  I've only been at this for 65 years so I don't need a lecture from someone who thinks he has a better rationail for moral being. Get off your high horse and let us enjoy the outdoors God has given us while staying within the boundaries of FWP and we are still alive . I love ice fishermen and enjoy meeting you Dudes on the ice, but this cow has been milked dry.... really dry.

Offline Walted

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 14, 2020, 11:03 PM »
Hey guys, this is nothing more than the on going bunch of bulls--t about what is perfectly legal and whatever you choose to do. Gimme a break here. Don't we have better things to discuss? I like fillets and I leave a bunch return to the water as I so choose. Tell me I'm wrong and you are an egotist, in my opinion.  I've only been at this for 65 years so I don't need a lecture from someone who thinks he has a better rationail for moral being. Get off your high horse and let us enjoy the outdoors God has given us while staying within the boundaries of FWP and we are still alive . I love ice fishermen and enjoy meeting you Dudes on the ice, but this cow has been milked dry.... really dry.

You're not saying that you don't do it exactly the same way that I do are you? That would be absurd since I have been an amateur biologist since I got my first fishing license.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 15, 2020, 05:08 AM »
I like to catch but don't really care to eat so unless I'm taking a few home to the folks, I rarely keep anything unless its messed up and bleeding bad and likely wouldn't make it.

Exact same here. I love to fish, but I'm not much of a fish eater at all. Once in a while the old man asks me to bring him a few, or if I royally gill hook something, I'll take it home. Other than that, everything goes right back in, both open water and ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.