The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Where should I fish near Belgrade?  (Read 3554 times)

Offline greener07

• Team IceShanty Regular
Where should I fish near Belgrade?
« on: Jan 15, 2015, 09:00 PM »
I grew up ice fishing in MN, and have lived in MT for a while now and am just getting back into ice fishing. Its tough with so few lake to choose from within driving distance of Belgrade.  I want to try Ruby Reservoir and Harrison lake soon since they are fairly close.  Anyone have any suggestions for these lakes, and or any others close by that would be good to try.  I would appreciate suggestions!

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
Re: Where should I fish near Belgrade?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2015, 01:28 AM »
If I lived in Belgrade, I'd definitely be hitting Hyalite a couple times a week. Ruby Reservoir has got to be quite the poke for ya, but hey, I'd like to make the drive & give it a try myself. If you'd make the Ruby drive, I'd suggest Delmoe Lake in the Pipestone/Homestake area west of Butte. Getting in there in a truck can sometimes be difficult this time of year, but if you've got an ATV/UTV/Snowmobile you'll for sure make it in & get some decent cutthroat action. If you really don't mind traveling, Georgetown Lake & Canyon Ferry are both great fisheries.  Good luck to ya & stay safe on the hardwater !!

Offline borntohunt365

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2015, 01:32 AM »
Lots of good places, if you like catching stocker in bozeman there's the east gallat in rec area, it's always fun to go out and catch some easy ones, hyalite and canyon ferry are solid bets for good eatin fish

Offline greener07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2015, 02:56 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions!  I have fished Hyalite and will again because of how close it is, but I've never done really well.  I also will try the local ponds, especially would like to take my daughter there, and hopefully catch enough to keep her attention.  I spend a lot of time in the Ruby Valley and look forward to trying the reservoir.  Was planning on going on Sunday, but not sure how the ice will be.

Offline Fishman Teters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2015, 08:20 AM »
What is it that you want to catch? That would help you. If you want walleye, Daileys and Canyon Ferry are the closest. If you want big cutts, I suggest Big Bear Lake which you will have to ski, snowshoe, or ride a sled in. Hyalite is good for brookies, bows, cutts, and some grayling. Harrison has got a lot of 2-3 lbs rainbows. Lots of the Bozeman ponds are multi species. It just really depends on your preference. Some areas are challenging, some areas the fish are suicidal and launch themselves on a hook.

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2015, 10:30 AM »
Make the trip to Canyon ferry
Dont ask

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2015, 11:37 AM »
Three pieces of advice are:
1) Read the general and lake-specific regulations before going anywhere. There's a lot of variability.
2) If you do go to Canyon Ferry, ditch any notion that you can catch walleyes and perch like you did using live minnows back in MN. Been down that road. It's a pretty different game here.
3) Trout can be a hoot thru the ice. Don't overlook them as a starting point.
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2015, 02:06 PM »
You can limit on perch in CF in a couple hours with plenty of walleye action before noon with maggots and crawlers
Dont ask

Offline greener07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2015, 03:04 PM »
I really appreciate the advice.  I don't really eat fish so I rarely keep any unless I am giving them to other people so I don't really care what I catch, I just like to catch fish.  That being said, all I have ever caught through the ice is panfish as a kid, and now some 12 inch trout out of Hyalite, so my goal is to catch something that fights a little.  I will definitely try Canyon Ferry at some point.  I was going to try Ruby Reservoir or maybe Harrison on Sunday, but not sure how the ice will be.  From the latest ice condition reports I have seen, and the warm, windy weather, not sure it will be a good idea.  Thanks again for the advice, and good luck fishing!

Offline CentralMT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2015, 08:59 AM »
Let us know how it goes. In the Bozeman area now hoping to get out on Monday to Harrison or ruby

Offline greener07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2015, 09:27 AM »
C MT, I will post my results, hoping to fish Sunday and Monday, depending on the ice conditions.  Was really hoping to hit the Ruby on Sunday, but I am hoping to get an ice report before driving down there.  Monday will probably hit local ponds or Hyalite.

Offline spedray

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2015, 03:22 PM »
Last time i was at big bear, which was a while ago, they had a big die off from lack of oxygen or too much ice. Did it get replanted?

Offline greener07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2015, 03:41 PM »
Im not sure where that is

Offline cutbow_07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2015, 12:06 PM »
The temps are pretty warm here and the wind was going but just stopped as I am writing this.  Quite a bit of water on the ice at Harrison and the wind has been howling the last 3days here.  Harrison is an odd lake in my experience with it cause it seems that after the beginning of January you are hard pressed to get into the fish.  I imagine there are others that do well the whole season there but I just don't tend to do that well there.  There are some very nice sized trout in there but they can sure be tight lipped and you usually need Ice cleats and all the anchors you can get to stay on the ice.  GL

Offline greener07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2015, 12:59 PM »
Due to the warm and windy conditions, gonna stay around Bozeman.  Headed out to egra, maybe see some of you out there.

Offline FishTrackster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2015, 01:16 PM »
Try Canyon Ferry or Daily Lake. Check the wind report at Emigrant if you go to Daily, it's been ripping lately.

Offline Icedeamon111

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 29, 2016, 11:35 PM »
Hey guys what kind of fish are in Dailey?

Rip a Lip!

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2016, 03:10 AM »
Hey guys what kind of fish are in Dailey?

Maybe check out the 1st post in the Dailey Lake thread in the "Reports & Conditions" section.

Offline Icedeamon111

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 31, 2016, 12:02 AM »
Maybe check out the 1st post in the Dailey Lake thread in the "Reports & Conditions" section.

I did i just don't think those accurately represent what people actually catch in the lakes. For instance canyon ferry says it has brook trout but in 4 years of fishing I have never caught one lol. I guess my question was more what is there good numbers of in Dailey Lake. I have fished it twice in the summer and got skunked both times.
Rip a Lip!

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2016, 01:53 AM »
I did i just don't think those accurately represent what people actually catch in the lakes. For instance canyon ferry says it has brook trout but in 4 years of fishing I have never caught one lol. I guess my question was more what is there good numbers of in Dailey Lake. I have fished it twice in the summer and got skunked both times.

I hear ya there ID111.....I've noticed that more than a few times when researching different bodies of water. Silver Lake just east of Georgetown Lake says LM Bass & Bluegill.....Nope, not present in it !!

Offline bpajalich

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 31, 2016, 06:51 PM »
The Bozeman ponds are good as well. Right next to the mall

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.