The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Anybody been out around Helena yet?  (Read 9976 times)

Offline Mogi

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Anybody been out around Helena yet?
« Reply #120 on: Dec 22, 2013, 01:01 PM »
Anything in the Helena area would be about the same drive as swan for me. Plenty of options there

Offline Houdy66

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Calm and Fish On!!!
« Reply #121 on: Dec 22, 2013, 07:06 PM »
All I know is that after the total lack of professionalism and the consistent immaturity of this so-called "guide" shown on this thread, I will never personally give him any business or references. There comes a point when you're trying to run a business that you have to grow up and not let petty comments on an ice fishing log site bother you. The reactions I've read on here are definitely not a good way to build a clientele base. 
To jig or not to jig... That is the question.

Offline MTwalleyehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #122 on: Dec 22, 2013, 07:46 PM »
All I know is that after the total lack of professionalism and the consistent immaturity of this so-called "guide" shown on this thread, I will never personally give him any business or references. There comes a point when you're trying to run a business that you have to grow up and not let petty comments on an ice fishing log site bother you. The reactions I've read on here are definitely not a good way to build a clientele base.
I dont come on here to plug the business.  Never have.  Dont need too.   Ive been attacked on here since joining.  Just came in to help out and share ideas, reports, and info.  Ive fished over 200 days a year mostly professionally for longer than I remember.   I live it eat it and breath it.  That is all.

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #123 on: Dec 22, 2013, 08:47 PM »
Complete nonsense.  If you think 35 feet of water is deep you dont get out of Montana much do you.  So here is a little trick.  Ive used this on everything from Black Rock Bass, Macs, Grouper in the Bahamas and of course trout and perch here.   So pay attention Hole Pounder I know its hard to get past your Canyon Ferry mastery, but listen grasshopper and you just might learn a little something.   I use a little bodkin but the reef captains in Florida and Alaska use the actual tool or make there own.  They swim away like happy little fishes back to happy little world. 
Heres said link. 
https://www.flseagrant.org/fisheries/venting/

I dont come on here to plug the business.  Never have.  Dont need too.   Ive been attacked on here since joining.  Just came in to help out and share ideas, reports, and info.  Ive fished over 200 days a year mostly professionally for longer than I remember.   I live it eat it and breath it.  That is all.

When I wrote my response I did not attack anyone.  I, like you, believe this site should be about sharing information.

some info on venting.....if you care to read it on not.  If you care about the resource then it pays to learn.  It's easy to get pissy with comments on this forum..believe me I get it.  I'm not trying to get anyone's undies in a bunch but this is useful information regarding some practices discussed above

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/story/dfg-rockfish-question/       
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline MTwalleyehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #124 on: Dec 22, 2013, 09:07 PM »
When I wrote my response I did not attack anyone. 

some info on venting.....if you care to read it on not.  I'm not trying to get anyone's undies in a bunch but this is useful information regarding some practices discussed above

Thats actually pretty cool.  I think a little modification would work good on little perch and walleye.  Here is my problem.  I dont really want to keep a 4-6" perch no matter what.  Like alot of you I have seen them left on the ice near old holes.  I realize that sometimes they are used for cut bait and for the eyes. And then left on the ice.    Or just thrown away. Especially back in the day when there were buckets of them to be had.  I know those on here who have fished perch or other fish in deep water have dealt with this.  Took those dinks home and then?    Because of the current state of the fishery at Canyon Ferry.  I dont really agree with this practice.  So I  vent em.    At least they have a percentage of survival.  And being left on the ice, or taken home and fed to the cats doesnt give them a real good chance.   Im not completely sold on it because as any intrusion it can cause infection, parasites or disease.  But Im always open to better conservation oriented ideas.  I make a living off of it.  So I dont want to see it trashed.   Sometimes in heated debate like this thread.  Good ideas and good info can come of it.  Hopefully this is one of those times. 

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #125 on: Dec 22, 2013, 09:11 PM »
The venting is an archaic way of just making fish disappear. Out of sight, out of mind and a band aid at best. If anyone is fishing at a depth that releasing fish unharmed is an issue, they should invest 10$ and have a descending device with them at all times.

Offline MTwalleyehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #126 on: Dec 22, 2013, 09:22 PM »
Yeah Im in.  Ill give it a try this season.   That is if I can find a perch. 

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #127 on: Dec 22, 2013, 09:32 PM »
@ walleyehunter...

I see wonton waste of fish all the time and hate to see it.  I think perch are especially susceptible just because I don't think a lot of people really care about them, especially 4-6" fish like we're talking about.  There are a million reasons people do it and none of them really make sense.  For me, a descending device is just a huge pain in the a#% and I don't care enough to monkey around with one so I fish in areas I don't need them.  Again, not and attack, but if your in the business and your livelihood depends on the resource you have a vested interest in protecting the resource.  Educating people on techniques that may help keep the resource intact or minimize damage can help.  Conversely spreading the word on an internet forum of techniques that can damage fish and make people think it's okay to fish all day catch a ton of fish let a ton of them go to most likely die later can only help to deplete a resource that many people are concerned about. That's why I posted this.

Best of luck out there...

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #128 on: Dec 22, 2013, 09:49 PM »
Fantastic posts, nice work guys:)

Offline MTwalleyehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #129 on: Dec 22, 2013, 10:24 PM »
@ walleyehunter...

I see wonton waste of fish all the time and hate to see it.  I think perch are especially susceptible just because I don't think a lot of people really care about them, especially 4-6" fish like we're talking about.  There are a million reasons people do it and none of them really make sense.  For me, a descending device is just a huge pain in the a#% and I don't care enough to monkey around with one so I fish in areas I don't need them.  Again, not and attack, but if your in the business and your livelihood depends on the resource you have a vested interest in protecting the resource.  Educating people on techniques that may help keep the resource intact or minimize damage can help.  Conversely spreading the word on an internet forum of techniques that can damage fish and make people think it's okay to fish all day catch a ton of fish let a ton of them go to most likely die later can only help to deplete a resource that many people are concerned about. That's why I posted this.

Best of luck out there...
Yeah I can agree.  Hard to argue with knowledge   Dont pretend to know it all.  In fact I lurk and learn more than I post.  I dont guide ice fishing. I have had guides work for me in the past that do.  And I have toyed lately with idea of doing some birthday parties for the kids and beginners but this ice thing is kinda my time to play after a long season on the rivers and lakes.   Back in the day when we were pulling buckets off the lake.  Like all things plentiful we kinda took it for granted.  These days Im all about leaving something behind.   So if we can pass that along and educate I guess we have accomplished something.  Probably should of clarified that in the beginning.

Offline UncleFarm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #130 on: Dec 23, 2013, 10:48 AM »

Awesome link, fishingwithbrittanies! I like the milk crate idea, and envisioned an ice fishing version- cylindrical wire cage, weighted for going down ice holes.. In my mind I pictured half of a small minnow trap.. I dont know, it could work.. Just thinking out loud
:tipup: Helena Hand-Auger :tipup:

Offline HolePounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #131 on: Dec 23, 2013, 12:20 PM »
They make a really cool fish net/live well you can drop through a hole,my buddy has one.
Catch and release,into BACON GREASE!

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #132 on: Dec 23, 2013, 02:38 PM »

I like the milk crate idea, and envisioned an ice fishing version- cylindrical wire cage, weighted for going down ice holes.. In my mind I pictured half of a small minnow trap.. I dont know, it could work.. Just thinking out loud

I was thinking about it today and if a guy cut the bottom off of a two liter bottle, removed the cap and weighted the bottom heavily and tied a rope to the top that might work.  An idea.  Minnow trap idea I'd bet would work too.

Offline HolePounder

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline HolePounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #134 on: Dec 28, 2013, 04:31 PM »
Had a great morning on  CF,48 fow,some of them were real JUMBOS!

Offline Walleye cat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #135 on: Dec 28, 2013, 07:37 PM »
Where were you at cf was up there today could not find fish on my flasher

Offline Strippnthedream

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep ur knots tight and ur lines tighter!
« Reply #136 on: Dec 28, 2013, 07:41 PM »
Find the deeper water find the fish 45-50.
Luv2strip

So good with my rod I make fish come!

Offline HolePounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #137 on: Dec 29, 2013, 03:14 PM »
Todays limits,48.5 fow

Offline Houdy66

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Calm and Fish On!!!
« Reply #138 on: Dec 29, 2013, 03:33 PM »
Awesome catches! Looks like you've found the honey hole  :thumbsup:
To jig or not to jig... That is the question.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.