The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: East Bay, Flathead Lake  (Read 8877 times)

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: East Bay, Flathead Lake
« Reply #60 on: Dec 11, 2013, 07:37 PM »
would imagine there is a solid foot of snow in the east bay....soft fluffy snow...but with the warmer temps...it could get a little sticky.....the ice in east bay will be solid for a long time......if you are are thinking of making a  vacation...make sure you fish lmr.....east bay can be hit and miss....sometimes you hike out a mile to the middle of the bay...with varying results.....and catch a hog or two in 2 ft of water on the way back....it is a beautiful place to fish.....but I don't know if I would recommend it as a destination.....it gets better if you have side fish outings to places like lmr...etc... and if you are in area when the bird refuges are open fishin... then yes....good destination spot.....I have caught 12 pound lake trout in 2 feet of water in east bay.. I have also spent 6 hrs catching nothing but 6 inch perch in the same area.....good luck!!!!!

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #61 on: Dec 11, 2013, 07:48 PM »
They are swimming stomachs, you are over thinking it. I've never seen them not hit anything you put in fron of their faces in east bay. I can think of several times I have had a Mac come in and inhale a jig, I set the hook and since the water is so shallow they pop right up to the ice and come off. I've put the jig right back down the hole and they will hit once and sometimes a couple more time.
As far as ice....just keep an eye on the weather and the reports page. All the ice gained last week could be gone by next week.....
[I am really impressed how you catch those hogs in such shallow water.....your pics are amazizing...whenever I hook a fish over 5 lbs in less than four feet of water... I'm screwed...somehow you still seem to land em.....quite impressive m fish..maybe someday I will figure out how to get those hogs out in shallow water!!!!/quote]

Offline PJB_Montana

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Ice Baby
« Reply #62 on: Dec 19, 2013, 04:31 PM »
Any ice updates on East bay or Polson bay? Thanks guys.
PJB

Offline pablodt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Dec 20, 2013, 06:04 AM »
Any ice updates on East bay or Polson bay? Thanks guys.
There were a few guys on East Bay yesterday. Polson Bay needs another cold snap so you can fish out in front of the Resort.

Offline PJB_Montana

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Ice Baby
« Reply #64 on: Dec 20, 2013, 08:13 PM »
thank you very much!
PJB

Offline PJB_Montana

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Ice Baby
« Reply #65 on: Dec 20, 2013, 08:48 PM »
Do you know what road to take to get access to East Bay? I was just going to head down tomorrow morning and hope it's posted.  :-\
PJB

Offline The Rezerend

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Dec 20, 2013, 09:39 PM »
ducharme lane on the south end of the bay off 35 not sure bout any others
A bad day fishing is better than a good day working.

Offline Hydro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Dec 20, 2013, 10:07 PM »
Do you know what road to take to get access to East Bay? I was just going to head down tomorrow morning and hope it's posted.  :-\

Just look for the Ducharme Fishing Access Site sign, it is a mile or two east of Polson.  If you find yourself traveling north, you have gone too far.

Offline PJB_Montana

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Ice Baby
« Reply #68 on: Dec 23, 2013, 01:04 PM »
Thanks a lot for the info. Fished it this past weekend. A few other peoples were out there but no one got into any lake trout on saturday. Ice was 12' thick though and a few atvs were out there.  :)
PJB

Offline Cold toes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Dec 23, 2013, 01:22 PM »
12"!! Holy cow. Most i've ever seen was 5"

Offline PJB_Montana

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Ice Baby
« Reply #70 on: Dec 23, 2013, 03:20 PM »
It was my first time there...no one mentioned I had to hoof a mile out into the bay. Haha! My first hole I thought I struck oil.  :o
PJB

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Dec 23, 2013, 03:32 PM »
Been there done that.

Offline Hydro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Dec 23, 2013, 07:33 PM »
12"!! Holy cow. Most i've ever seen was 5"

I was out there on Sunday and the ice was about 7 inches thick, I drilled a lot of holes and the thickness was very consistent.  Lake trout fishing was very slooooow.

Offline Cold toes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Dec 23, 2013, 08:58 PM »
I'll have to give it a shot later this week. Hopefully better fishing.

Offline JRJ3348

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Dec 27, 2013, 12:52 AM »
Headed to East Bay tomorrow...Zimmer said the ice is good & they've been catching more perch than in the past 2 years (but that's not saying much according to him), and seeing lots of macs, but fishing has been slow, macs pretty lethargic & not very cooperative.  Will update after.

Offline JRJ3348

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Dec 27, 2013, 04:36 PM »
Well, we hit east bay today. Got a late start thanks to our guests being hungover:) Had a solid 7"-8", no water on top, which was a plus. Fishing was awesome, catching, not so much:) Fun day, at least.

Offline TooLucky406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Dec 27, 2013, 10:37 PM »
Also fish East Bay today. Have full report on the Fishing Report and Ice condition page, but as JR mention ice is solid 8", but bring your cleats. No snow on top except for few patches here and there.

Offline Cold toes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Dec 31, 2013, 10:41 AM »
Too Lucky, What kind of tip ups are you using/prefer? Looking to add a few more to my arsenal and most of the time my tip ups get used for lakers.

Offline TooLucky406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Dec 31, 2013, 11:37 AM »
Cold toes,

I use the Frabill Pro-Thermal Tip-up (Orange). Main reason I use them is that they keep your hole from freezing up and they're inexpensive. Fit nicely in a five gallon bucket. Been using them for six season now and so far no issue. Only complaint is that if you set the tip-up really far apart, the flags are hard to see (not long/high enough). They do make an extended flag version, but not sold locally around here. FYI... Works better in a 10" hole and I use 50-80lb braided line too.

Offline Cold toes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Dec 31, 2013, 02:56 PM »
That's why I've gone with the HT thermals because they have an extendable flag. I too like to spread my tip ups out. I would get more but no one in town sells them. The short flag on the Frabills worry me. Do you have many drop the bait? I had a few the other day run 10-15ft then drop it.

oldschoolben

« Reply #80 on: Dec 31, 2013, 03:02 PM »
It was my first time there...no one mentioned I had to hoof a mile out into the bay. Haha! My first hole I thought I struck oil.  :o
lol ya it can be a long walk thats for sure can be worth it tho

Offline TooLucky406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Dec 31, 2013, 03:09 PM »
As far as drops, I'll say not many.  Maybe 1 every 20 flags this year so far. I make my own quick strike rig with size 2 treble hooks. Seem to stay on, when I notice my flag!  ;)

Offline Golden Trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Dec 31, 2013, 05:14 PM »
Hello everybody.  I have never ice fished Flathead at east bay before.  If I do what should I except to catch, also how far out does the ice go? 

To my best guess you are all going for lake trout?  Please do correct me if I am wrong. 

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
« Reply #83 on: Dec 31, 2013, 06:20 PM »
That's why I've gone with the HT thermals because they have an extendable flag. I too like to spread my tip ups out. I would get more but no one in town sells them. The short flag on the Frabills worry me. Do you have many drop the bait? I had a few the other day run 10-15ft then drop it.

I hate the HT thermals as I have had 4 of them and all of them snapped off the extendable flag.

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Offline Cold toes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Dec 31, 2013, 06:39 PM »
I hate the HT thermals as I have had 4 of them and all of them snapped off the extendable flag.

Jay

Huh, haven't had one snap yet. Where do they break at? What kind of tip ups do you like Jay?

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
« Reply #85 on: Dec 31, 2013, 09:52 PM »
Huh, haven't had one snap yet. Where do they break at? What kind of tip ups do you like Jay?
They have broken right on the last joint  then you've got no flag just a rod.  I rednecked a flag outta duct tape but I still don't like them.  My favorite are the pink HT ones.  Next would be the black Frabill thermal ones.

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.