The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Hebgen ice fishing tournament  (Read 9551 times)

Offline Jason watts

• IceShanty Rookie
Hebgen ice fishing tournament
« on: Jan 21, 2012, 11:11 PM »
I was just wondering why out of all of the people that ice fish and post on ice shanty that there is only thirty teams or so signed up for the national ice fishing tournament coming ip on hebgen the first weekend of February.   It is the first time that the tour has come to Mt as far as I know. If there isn't a decent turnout I would assume that they will think twice about having it here again. It is two hundred dollars per team, two people per team. You can just type hebgen ice fishing tournament in on google and it will bring up a website that you can sign up on. I hope a few of you will think about making it over to hebgen and catching some of these nice fat bows and browns. There is also some seminars put on by the pros showing some of their techniques and fishing for kids with free gear for the kids to use and take home for future use. Should be a fun weekend

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
Re: Hebgen ice fishing tournament
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2012, 11:35 PM »
Boss said I have to get all my prep work done before My team can register ::). Look for me on the list the monday before.

IceCreeper

« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2012, 08:55 AM »
Maybe they should have chosen a central location like Canyon Ferry instead of Hegben.Too far for most derby semi-pros.

Offline MT Fysherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2012, 11:34 AM »
For me the $200 entry fee(team) is too much!

IceCreeper

« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2012, 10:27 AM »
$200 and Hegben?They didnt put a whole lot of thought into this one did they? :o

Offline bighof

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • have you seen me walk on water????
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2012, 10:41 AM »
IMO I think that everybody that can should show up and represent MT.   I know it is a long drive for alot of people, but if we want to see this type of big tournament coming back to the state then we need to support it.  I am sure that if this one is successfull they would be alot more likely to listen to other options for a walleye lake (Peck or Tiber maybe) where they could do a perch/ walleye tourney.  I didnt think long drives bothered us Montanans... seems like I would always see guys from Helena up at Tiber and we would travel south to canyon ferry/ holter or over to Ft Peck.  If you are from MT you should be used to driving alot to do anything!    (at least if you are from Conrad)
l

IceCreeper

« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2012, 11:53 AM »
I WOULDNT PAY THAT ENTRY FEE IF IT WAS NEXT TO MY HOUSE.

Offline bighof

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2012, 12:18 PM »
I guess it depends how confident you are in your skills.  If I were you I wouldnt pay it either knowing that I will be there! haha j/k.  Seriously though higher entry fees but also way better pay outs than any other MT tourneys. 

Anybody on the board going to be there besides myself and KirkwoodKyle?
l

IceCreeper

« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2012, 12:28 PM »
I could barly afford the fuel to get there $200 for an ice torney is way out of my pay grade.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2012, 12:51 PM »
I thought about it, but its quite a haul from Columbia Falls...I have never fished Hebgen through the ice...the cost is questionable for me...If it was at Canyon Ferry I'd be there...

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2012, 01:04 PM »
I'm excited about it. I'm also excited about the 2nd Perch Assault, which is a long haul for me and a entry fee of $150. It's something I've had to budget for, but its a good time and if folks don't travel here in Montana, the turnout/payout lacks and future events like these become harder and harder to find. The other thing I should mention is that this event, like it would be anywhere else, reguires a lot of community support and backing and it wasn't just someone throwing a dart at the map. West Yellowstone, I believe, has really stepped up here to get something like this to happen. If it goes to a different Montana/Western location the next coming years thats great! But what I think is really great, is that it has come west and now we've got the opportunity to make it a real good time like most ice tourneys, here in Montana, end up being.

IceCreeper

« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2012, 01:21 PM »
If they had it on CF they would probably increase the turnout by 10x

Offline TheGreenHornet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2012, 02:11 PM »
With all the negative talk about the location I figured I should Chime in with some positives.  I've ice fished hebgen alot over the years and had great success with good sized fish.  Now I can't vouch this for my self by I read an article that talked about TWO fish that FWP shocked this last summer that would break the state record brown trout mark.  Like I said the biggest fish I've seen come out was mid twenties (inches not pounds) and by no means a 30 lber but they are in there and people should be excited to go try something different.  Also the location isn't just for montana residents...I know for a fact that there will be several teams coming from Idaho and further.

Offline flylinemt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2012, 08:31 PM »
You said it well Greenhornet,was up there this weekend did pretty well on saturday caught  some real nice bows.I gladly paid & will be there feb.4&5

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2012, 09:28 PM »
1 day fishing for how many hours? Might give it a try. Would definitely be on it if it were a warm water species tourney.
Live Free Or Die.

Offline bighof

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2012, 10:48 PM »
5 hours.  from 8 am til 1pm.  Going to be a challenge to fill a limit for sure.  Should be fun though.
l

Offline Young Blood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2012, 10:13 AM »
Would be fun but thats Super Bowl Sunday!!!!!!! Wouldn't be home in time for the game
Keep the Faith

Offline Liprippa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2012, 10:56 PM »
5 Hrs of fishing and they require you to be there friday night saturday and sunday  so let me get this straight  entry fee $200   Gas (if you live anywhere outside of West) $200 Lodging $200 Food $150 and Extra $150  so a grand total for fishing for 5 hrs comes to about $900 I would love to fish the tournament but it is not even close to fesible for me good luck to all who do fish it

Offline Jason watts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2012, 07:10 AM »
Liprippa, actually you don't have to be there Friday and only one member of your team has to be there Saturday night for the rules meeting. That should cut your cost by quite a bit. Also top fifteen or twenty teams will win enough to at least pay for entry fee.

Offline bighof

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2012, 09:43 AM »
We are planning on being there Thurs.  so we will basically have 4 days to fish, 3 nights of hotel, and get to fish in a derby for about $900 split between two guys.  $450.  Its not free but I dont think it is bad for 4 days of fishing and the chance win alot more than that.  Also helps to have a partner that you have faith in their fishing skills and will split all the costs. 

I understand the people that dont think it is worth it... but it is to me.
l

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't ask...I can't tell.
« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2012, 09:57 AM »
My T-2 weeks pregnant wife says otherwise.  Enough said.
  BE THERE!

IceCreeper

« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2012, 10:20 AM »
It also helps that you dont have to take time off work without pay to be there.With lost wages from taking time off to travel,wouldnt even consider doing it without one day of prefishing,travel costs,lodging,ect.We'd be looking at a thousand dollar bill to do the torney,being completly unfamiliar with the body of water would make my odds of breaking even pretty slim.If they want a good turnout they planned poorly,extremly remote location with very little local population,very high entry fee,add super bowl sunday to the mix and they reallly limited themselves to a poor showing.Have it a week later next year on CF with a $100 entry fee,slots for perch,ling,eyes and trout and it would bring in TONS of people,the turnout would show them whats possible here in MT for a ig tourney.

Offline bighof

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 25, 2012, 11:36 AM »
I wouldnt be going if the Vikings were in the Superbowl... pretty much had this weekend slated as open since week 2 of the regular season >:(  oh well,  at least I still have the Twins.... oh, they are crapty too... damn it.   ;D
l

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2012, 11:47 AM »
Well here's the thing, this is part of a icefishing tourney circuit. Which means everyone at any event has the same entry fee so lowering it to 100 isn't an option. The timing being superbowl weekend goes to a lot of factors one being what else is going on in West yellowstone and another being what slots are there to fill on the circuit schedule, believe me this was the best option. The Remote location isn't really that remote when you consider that now 4 states are in the mix(even though I think Wyoming has the toughest travel unless your in Jackson). And this cicuit ha s a three year contract, with an escape clause Tim Allen knows nothing about, so unless this goes poorly or West's donors don't think it was worth it,....next year will be Hebgen again. Probably not the same weekend but the same lake. Why not just start another tourney if everything should be different? I'd probably go too. Why isn't there one like that alreday if it were so lucrative? Because it takes a lot of support and time and effort and WE just whine or have fun or go or don't go. I completely understand why people can't attend but I still think its a good opportunity and I kow it'll be a good time. anyone who wants to can watch the game with me afterwards! Who knows where that will be  ;D

IceCreeper

« Reply #24 on: Jan 25, 2012, 12:27 PM »
No need to start another one,there are plenty of them nearby that have reasonable entry fees,and are held on lakes that many ice fisherman are familiar with.I work year round so doing 2-3 tourneys a year is all the time I can afford to take off anyways,going to one with a $200 entry where I know absolutly nothing about the water its out of the question.If they want it to be a hit they didnt put much thought into it,if they want to attract a few hardcore tourney fisherman who can afford to play they will be happy.

Offline Jason watts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 25, 2012, 12:46 PM »
Ice creeper, we all know that you are too broke for the tourney as you have mentioned nearly a dozen times since I started this thread. I'm pretty sure that 95% of the people fishing this tourney aren't familiar with this lake. Maybe that's part of the game is improvising and catching fish no matter where you are. Maybe you should try fishing somewhere other than canyon ferry for a change. It Can't always be somewhere that you are obviously familiar with. I'm sure we won't miss you at hebgen.

Offline MatCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 25, 2012, 01:21 PM »
It's good to post and try to get a little publicity for new tournaments, however I think Mr. Watts started this thread on the wrong foot and could have handled it a little differently.  Instead of ridiculing all montana ice shanty members for not signing up you could have just said, hey there is a new derby down here at Hebgen, it would be cool if some of you guys would come check it out.  On the flip side everyone complaining about where and how expensive it is there is a simple solution, if you don't want to fish it don't.  There are obviously plenty of derby's around the state with different fish and different entry fees to fit just about anyone's budget.  It just seems to me that most of you are all arguing for the sake of it at this point.

Offline Jason watts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 25, 2012, 02:04 PM »
Matzah, I wasn't trying to ridicule ice shanty members, I was just surprised to see so few entries. I will definitely word my threads differently next time. I think this tourney is a good opportunity for ice shanty members as well as communities that host these events. Thanks for the feedback.

Offline Jason watts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 25, 2012, 02:30 PM »
Last comment was for matcat

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 25, 2012, 03:51 PM »
I've never seen so many people argue about why they can't go fishing!  I can't (currently) afford to fish the Pro Walleye Tournament series but I don't complain about the costs of it.  This is a big tournament for those of us that ice fish.  I haven't ever caught a fish on Hebgen but I would make the trip down to fish it if I wasn't 600 miles away at work.

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.