The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice up-date chart  (Read 7456 times)

Offline montanahardwater

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice up-date chart
« on: Nov 22, 2011, 09:27 PM »
Does this site have excel spread sheet or a similar chart to look at for current ice thickness of lakes? Or do we need one? That way we can open up to it and see in alphabetical order how much ice there is, where and when. What do you think? Please, I would like some feed back.

Offline flyfishbowhunticefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice up-date chart
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2011, 10:00 PM »
Sorry. But ice fishing shouldn't be that complicated.   Either go see for yourself or check the threads here or in the reports and conditions section
Y'all catchin?

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2011, 10:01 PM »
Check the General Ice Fishing Chit Chat subboard.  There is a sticky with a current ice map.

Offline digity

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2011, 11:42 AM »
Its like anything else do it your self than you know.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2011, 10:35 PM »
I like the idea...tough to amass the data though...but would definately be useful.

Offline MTviking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2011, 01:17 PM »
It would be nice for the simple fact that if people are claiming only a few inches or less on a body of water, I'm not going to spend the time or gas driving to that lake.  When I do make the trip I'm going to use my own judgement once I get there regardless of how thick somebody else is claiming.  But I guess you don't really need a spreadsheet for that info, plus it would be pretty tough to keep it current anyhow as most people are much more willing to seek out reports than provide reports after their outing.

Bullelk34

« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2011, 05:45 PM »
I like that idea, too. With today's gas prices, driving a few hours to check ice is too costly. I agree sifting through the individual lakes on the conditions forum stinks, and talking about conditions in the general forum seems to be taboo. A spreadsheet would be great, and could be used as a trip planner.

Offline TJet Apprentice45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2011, 07:38 AM »
That's a great Idea MT HardWater, and if you'd like I can help get it set up.  Spend way to much time on Excel at work so a little Ice Fishing updates would be a nice way to break up the day.
Shoot me a PM with some Ideas if you'd like and we can see what we can put together.
Slugs "N" Sinkers Jet Boating

Offline snakeyes_981984

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2011, 08:36 AM »
That is a great idea i think the info would help people that cant get out that often to check conditions and not only that but like a comment made before you may go do it your self but it would help to know just if a lake had ice on it so you could go check it but that is just me.

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2011, 11:37 AM »
have the date the ice was checked along with the thickness, in case they dont get updated for a while.

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2011, 12:54 PM »
Here let's try this. Anyone with this link can go update this spreadsheet with info. I have it done by week so just enter the thickness under the appropriate week and add whatever lakes you want and the county it is in as well so we can discern between lakes with identical names. I will leave this up until it starts getting abused and if that happens I will have to lock it down to only certain people can edit but if that doesn't happen we should be good to go. I'll archive the data once a week or at least I will try to so if somebody goes and deletes it we don't loose all the entered info: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArS0US9mIvixdDFFNDRqc2s3Q2N2VzlfWV9IZ09UX3c

Offline TJet Apprentice45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 28, 2011, 01:33 PM »
Thanks Cornbread, that looks awesome.  Should be a great tool this season.
Slugs "N" Sinkers Jet Boating

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 28, 2011, 03:49 PM »
No problem. I added in all the lakes and their counties from our Montana lake reports here on iceshanty so most of the lakes we all fish are in there. I have them listed alphabetically by lake name so if you don't see the lake you want please add it at the bottom and when I update the sorting order it will go into whatever place it should be.

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 28, 2011, 04:01 PM »
Here let's try this. Anyone with this link can go update this spreadsheet with info. I have it done by week so just enter the thickness under the appropriate week and add whatever lakes you want and the county it is in as well so we can discern between lakes with identical names. I will leave this up until it starts getting abused and if that happens I will have to lock it down to only certain people can edit but if that doesn't happen we should be good to go. I'll archive the data once a week or at least I will try to so if somebody goes and deletes it we don't loose all the entered info: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArS0US9mIvixdDFFNDRqc2s3Q2N2VzlfWV9IZ09UX3c

Not from MT but this is great. I wish NY/NJ forum would have that.

Offline gblomquist

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 28, 2011, 05:26 PM »
Cornbread, thank you! This really is something that will be very useful/helpful. Great work

Offline Aaron072

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 28, 2011, 05:52 PM »
Cornbread, thank you! This really is something that will be very useful/helpful. Great work

x2 ;D
is it wrong to be turned on by an icehole?

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 28, 2011, 07:03 PM »
Nice work!

Now lets see some lakes with ice  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 28, 2011, 07:08 PM »
 ;D NOAA produces an ice map if thats what your lookin for. Last I checked it was starting to come down in the northernest parts of Canada's provinces. Good idea, but I would hate to have that job. lol.
I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there. -Robert Altman

Offline IceDipper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If the hat is missin'....I've gone fishin'
« Reply #18 on: Nov 28, 2011, 07:32 PM »
Awesome, good job! About time we had something like this!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #19 on: Nov 28, 2011, 09:26 PM »
Nice job CB:) Very generous of you to take this on, good fish karma will be with you.

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 28, 2011, 09:30 PM »
Too Cool..........if updated and kept current this will be invaluable information........Tha nks for your time and effort Cornbread........

Offline Jberg440

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Nov 28, 2011, 09:59 PM »
Dang Cornbread! You da man!! Let me know if you make it to Bozeman I'll take ya out fishin' or atleast buy you a beer!  :icefish:
The man banging on the door yelled "Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms"... I just assumed it was more supplies.

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 28, 2011, 10:14 PM »
It is really no problem guys, just glad I can be useful in some way. I will keep it updated for the lakes I fish, I hope you guys will do the same so we can all collectively make it a great resource for planning our respective trips to various places about our great state.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 28, 2011, 10:18 PM »
i'll be updating as well, love to report ice conditions, not so big on fishig reports   :whistle:

Offline snakeyes_981984

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 29, 2011, 09:12 AM »
It is great that you took this project on and i will help any way i can but we will have to get together and do some fishing this year. CORNBREAD RULES.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #25 on: Nov 29, 2011, 11:33 AM »
Very nice Cornbread! 

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #26 on: Nov 29, 2011, 04:16 PM »
Now all we need is for Icholer to get off his lazy ass and finish his "perch being caught" map with GPS quads and bait/time reference chart we will be in buisness!

Offline montanahardwater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 30, 2011, 12:14 PM »
Sir, CORNBREAD, From: Montana hardwater. I would personally like to shake your hand. This is exactly like the format I have on my home computer that I use to keep my own personal record. It’s simple. And what I wanted to share with everyone. To many negative responses really pushed me away and really, made me so mad that I have not been on the web for almost a week. Your personal action, taking this Simple format, building a web access to it “which I would have not known how to do” was beyond spectacular!!! I should hope that everything you do has and will turn in to gold for you.  You personally have changed my attitude to the responses at the beginning of this post. CORNBREAD,”WELL DONE” !!!!!

Offline MatCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Nov 30, 2011, 02:38 PM »
Right on.

Offline iceholer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Nov 30, 2011, 08:43 PM »
Now all we need is for Icholer to get off his lazy ass and finish his "perch being caught" map with GPS quads and bait/time reference chart we will be in buisness!
the map is almost done but I'm having a hard time with the gps quads i was going to bring it over so you can prof read it  maybe take a look at your hand held gps with all those muley hot spots ;D ;D
when hell freezes over ill ice fish there to

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.