Author Topic: The warmest ice fishing boots  (Read 55371 times)

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re:The warmest ice fishing boots
« Reply #60 on: Jan 01, 2004, 10:14 AM »
The best I've found are Acton boots made for the Canadian Armed Forces..  They're tall white nylon mukluks with a real wool duffel made by the Raber glove mfg.co.  There's a model in green with black trim made for the U.S. armed forces and they have a different duffel but they're just as good.  I wear a felt insole on the bottom and an anti-moisture insole beneath the duffel.  Way back, these were the only good ones other than those WW2 fleece lined bomber crew boots.  I believe Sorels are basically derived from these Actons, with felt duffels to make them more affordable.  It takes a little surfing to find the army mukluk, but then go to your surplus outlets and you'll know what to look for.  They retail new in Canada for around $200 and used for 60-90 Can.  They're low in arch support, but a heavy duty pair of strap on creepers helps.  They are rated for 8 hours at -65F  
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Knife2sharp

« Reply #61 on: Jan 02, 2004, 08:33 AM »
Nothing beats Steger Mukluks.  I've got a pair on right now since I'll be leaving for Mille Lacs right after work.  Yep you can wear them indoors because they breath so well and they're so light it's almost like wearing mocasins.  Mine are made out of moose hide and I've used the Snoseal to treat them, but if the ice has a lot of water on it I'll use my Mickey boots.  

Alaska

« Reply #62 on: Jan 08, 2004, 02:27 PM »
I know it has been said, but I had to get my two cents into the discussion!  Trans Alaska's from Cabela's (rated to -135F).  I got my pair in 1996 or so and have NEVER had any cold feet.  I used them to trap, ice fish and get out in temperatures routinely at -20 to -30 and dropping to -50 (or so).  My friend also has these boots and loves them.  A bit bulky, but WARM!

Alaska

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Jan 15, 2004, 08:39 PM »
i got a pair of Kamik snow squal boots from campmor for $45 good to -40 F tried true and tested the hard way

Offline smoker9000

• IceShanty Rookie
  • can't wait for good ice
« Reply #64 on: Jan 16, 2004, 07:55 PM »
What about those mickey mouse millitary boots?
Tip Ups*
Jiggin Poles*
Sled*
Bucket*
Ice...
 Wheres the ICE!!!!!!

Offline GILLCRAZY

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #65 on: Jan 18, 2004, 04:37 PM »
I used the old Mickey Mouse boots when I got out of the ARMY. Your feet can sweat bad but will still stay warm. About 50 bucks and you can find them at the SPORTSMANSGUIDE.com

I have LaCrosse Iceman for the warmer days, but Ice Kings are KING for the coldest days. Be sure NOT to buy them tight. Good rule of thumb, if you're not walking alot, two sizes big and then add another felt insole. Hope this helps?
GILLCRAZY

Arctickat

« Reply #66 on: Jan 23, 2004, 05:59 PM »
I am in Barrow Alaska.  The warmest boots are. made by Northern Outfitters.  they are lined foam with a nylon outer shell. and rubber bottoms.. They are like walking on pillows but they breath and your feet dont get wet. I wouldnt pour water on them. but if you did  they would keep you warm. They seem to be much better than Bunny Boots. They are big and bulky but very light and comfy..

Bunny boots are ok.. if you are working in them and change your socks.  Your feet dont breath at all in Bunny boots. The key to warm feet is..    No tight socks.. Nothing tight at all.. and as dry as you can keep things. Often I get by with tennis shoes and dry wool socks.. unless I am going out in the snow. You should think about dry and loose fitting.. and not letting your feet sweat.  
I have impaired circulation also.. and the northern outfitters boots are better than anything out there.. Only the bottoms are water proof. but for truely cold weather you dont have puddles to wade thru.. just a little slush.
Some of you mentioned alot of the shoe pac sorts of boots.. they work too.. but we have found if you make up mouton socks.. ie sheepskin booties.. they work well..  

Offline Switzersland

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Big City turn me loose and set me free...
« Reply #67 on: Jan 27, 2004, 12:38 PM »
Check out sportsman'sguide.com for mickey mouse boots $65 apporx.

My vote is for Rockey boots.
ah yeah...we caught'em on...... salmon eggs..........

Offline outdoorwally

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Jan 28, 2004, 08:09 PM »
I started using a pair of Rocky Buckstalkers this year.
They are knee high rubber with 1000 gram thinsulate.
Great for keeping dry with the power auger punching through.
They double as hunting boots too.Camo and scentproof and great tread.

tomf

« Reply #69 on: Jan 29, 2004, 11:54 AM »
Mickey Mouse Boots!! Last week my buddy and I were fishing and the windchill was -14 below.  After 3-4 hours my buddy had to leave because his feet were frozen.  He was actually running around on the ice trying to keep his feet warm.  I smiled as I sat on my bucket jigging.  My feet were toasty warm and I could have sat there all day.  They are a little bulky but well worth it.

Offline alaskanman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice fishing rules!
« Reply #70 on: Jan 29, 2004, 02:39 PM »
mickey mouse or bunny boots for real cold temps, the Rocky's work great as long its not real cold or you're not traveling far.  Arctickat has a good point.

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
Re: The warmest ice fishing boots
« Reply #71 on: Feb 18, 2004, 02:16 PM »
 Mickey mouse are the absolute best boots out there!!!!!!!!!

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #72 on: Feb 22, 2004, 05:21 PM »
Micky Mouse boots get my vote. Then again, I have no experience with the other boots. So far, these boots have been great. One day, my feet got extremely cold in them. I thought it was the boots, but soon realized that water had got inside. I dried them out, and have never had cold feet. If you get these boots, put new laces on them, you'll get really sick and tired of the short, thin military issue laces.

-Zach

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #73 on: Feb 23, 2004, 05:15 AM »
I used to sit on a open tractor all day moving snow. I tried probably a half dozen different kinds of boots from Rocky to Sorel trying to keep my feet warm. I haven't tried Mickeys, but I ran across a pair of Lacrosse Ice Kings and the guy said to take them and try them for a week and if my feet got cold he would buy them back from me twice what I paid for them. I figured I would be back to collect that $200. That was 5 years ago. My feet have never been cold and I only wear a thin pair of regular socks. It doesn't matter if I am standing, sitting, walking, or buried to the top in snow and ice. In fact they work best buried in snow and ice. I don't have anything against Mickeys, but I am sold and will never buy anything else. Brian

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline 2 dogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #74 on: Feb 25, 2004, 08:39 AM »
Question    besides color what is the difference betwee Mickey Mouse and Bunny boots? ???
Good thing about prisons- they reduce the potential number of fisherman on the ice!

Offline tuckerdg1970

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Promisedland, Beltzville, Tobyhanna, NE Pa.
« Reply #75 on: Feb 25, 2004, 10:26 PM »
My vote goes to the Rocky Blizzard Stalkers never had cold feet.I got mine from Gander Mountain Payed 69.00 on sale. I think they are 100.00 now at most places.best boot for the money and comfortability. :'(
See ya on the ice. Sean Palmerton Pa.

Gillman

« Reply #76 on: Dec 02, 2004, 01:54 PM »
try Lacrosse Extreme PFT's, warmest boot out there

Basshuntah

« Reply #77 on: Feb 23, 2005, 02:47 PM »
just bought a pair of field and streams and i love'em, my feet stay so warm, and the boots fit very well. they even got camo on them. dang  ;D

Offline ice dude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Jul 29, 2005, 10:44 AM »
Cabelas Predetor Pac Boot $125 and its good to -135 sitting still.

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #79 on: Aug 19, 2005, 07:04 PM »
Cabelas Predator Extremes, the most comfortable and warmest pac boots going. I do a  lot of walking ice fishing and these boots are by far the best I have ever owned.

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Aug 30, 2005, 04:50 PM »
pretty much anything thats 800+ grams and waterproof, just find a pair that are comfortable to either walk or sit in, wichever you do most :tipup:

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Nov 19, 2005, 08:03 PM »
just bought a pair of-100 lacross pacs for $50 in sportsmans guide. almost i dentical to my old sorel glaciers that have served me well. for the money you cant go wrong.

Offline Woodguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #82 on: Nov 21, 2005, 07:14 AM »
Nothing has kept my feet warmer than the Trans-Alaska III Pac Boot from Cabelas. I have had Sorel, LaCrosse and various snowmobile boots. These boots are fairly large, but they are very light and you will get used to them real quick. No need to wear multiple layers of socks(I hate when they slide down in your boot). You will appreciate the lighter weight. The old felt lined Sorels were good in their day, but way too heavy and the Cabelas are way above them for warmth and comfort. I have had my feet on the ice for 12hrs. straight and not even a chill. Well worth the $169.00.

Offline madporider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Nov 21, 2005, 02:27 PM »
ive always loved rocky boot with 1200 grams of thinsulate although the lacrosse brand are excellent as well just a little bulky for my taste
give a man a fish and feed him for a day teach a man to fish and his wife will hate you for the rest of her life

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #84 on: Nov 28, 2005, 05:50 PM »
Once your feet get cold its amazing how much external heat it takes to warm them up! OK keeping the feet dry is a big help. Personally I won't use the antiperspirant deodorants. They work by having aluminum salts go into your skin and "freeze" the nerves that make your sweat glands work. A few neuroscientists think it also gets into the bloodstream and lodges in your brain for future Alzheimer’s. Anyway what I did so years ago is get those electric socks, the regular batteries are not very good and you burn them up pretty fast. So I cut those wires and soldered some flexible wires to them and to some smooth terminals, like the male plugs in type. . I then get a 12v security light battery from Home Depot (you can recharge them with your 12v battery charger) and I use clip-on terminals to connect them to the battery for xx # of SECONDS. You have to be careful here, lots more amperage and you could have flames coming out of your boots. Try a few experiments in timing them at home not on your feet BEFORE you go out. When you determine the time it takes to get a good amt of heat to the area. STICK to that time in the field...DO NOT get distracted or you may be able for the first time to do a good version of RiverDance! Again, it takes a LOT of heat to warm up toes that are already cold due to vasospasm. So time it, wait a few minutes and add the same again as many times as it takes to get those tootsies warm...don’t think that because they don't feel warm the first few tries that you should go any longer. You ARE putting a lot of heat in that boot, and eventually the whole boot will be very toasty and will stay that way for quite a while, once you get them warm. (Try not to let them get too cold in the first place and make sure your boot and socks are not at all tight) Also do the polypro 1st sock and get them long enough that they will wick out the top of the boot, also (as you probably know) never wear cotton socks. I roll up the wire and stuff them into the top of the sock, or you could glue a Velcro loop in the back and store the wire there. I put the battery in a cheap fishing/tool type box and have the wires from that and the clips well separated so they can't touch each other and short out (again be careful, you could start a fire transporting it if you don't)

Offline Woodguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Nov 28, 2005, 09:17 PM »
Hollis, no offense, but I think buying a good pair of boots is a much easier solution and surly alot more conveniant.

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #86 on: Nov 29, 2005, 06:40 AM »
Hey Wood, no offense taken, when I did this some 25 years ago I was inspecting loading of ships, long standing in very cold wind with nothing warm around me. In those day there wasn't or I wasn't aware of the great insulated boots of today.My fellow inspectors were always moaning about cold feet,..they DID laugh at my l motorcycle battery (best in those days) in a lunchpail. .. but I was the guy with warm feet and I got in a lot of overtime (big money in those days) because no one else could stand it out there. Some people that are smokers, impared circulation due to diabetes, Reynards disease,age etc still can get cold feet esp sitting for a while. I know guys that get cold feet in a 70+ degree house. I think I may have a touch of Raynards, I can be fine for a long time then all of a sudden my hands or feet can get very cold, it doesn't happen at all some days but when it does it can ruin your day. To me and these guys once vasospasm happens the amt of insulation doesn't seem to help. Generally you need to add heat to relax them and get good circulation again. Yeah ,..I understand it looks/sounds  like a lot of fuss and falderah,.. but actually it didn't take me long to do it. a few snips, solder, clips  and getting a battery (a back up for sonar, etc)  If you don't need the extra heat you don't know you have the socks/stuff on,..but if you need some warmth,..oh boy,..its REALLL NICE.

Offline Thor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Dec 01, 2005, 08:50 AM »
Cabelas Predetor Pac Boot $125 and its good to -135 sitting still.

At -135 sitting still, it wouldn't matter what boots you had on, because you would be dead in a short matter of time. ;D

hali-man

« Reply #88 on: Dec 01, 2005, 09:30 AM »
I just got Cabela's Pinnacle Zip boots with 800 gr of Thinsulate and Gore-Tex.
They're 15" tall and hopefully will solve the cold toe problem...

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #89 on: Dec 02, 2005, 06:21 AM »
OK,..I guess this is similar to my old invention,....probably cheaper then fooling around making one,......

http://www.neverbcold.com/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.