Author Topic: The warmest ice fishing boots  (Read 55370 times)

Offline whitey

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bring on the slabs!!!!!!!!!
Re: The warmest ice fishing boots
« Reply #30 on: Jan 15, 2003, 01:52 PM »
Gary Olen has a catalog called "The Sportsman's Guide" where you can find comparable boots to "Mickeys". I think in his catalog he calls them "Siberian" boots. $50-$65 a pair. Another one in his catalog is the one from Itasca that's rated to -100 degrees. They are heavy, but warm feet are far too important to me to worry about a few pounds. They have the same price approximately. I'd say for the money and versatility, stick to Mickey's or something similarly made. Whitey.

Offline jdm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #31 on: Jan 15, 2003, 01:53 PM »
I bought a pair of LaCrosse outdoorsman boots when I was 18(20years ago) and am still wearing them. They have been to Northern wisconsin in 30 below, Devils lake in 10 below, and, every winter since then here in Indiana.All my fishing has been without a shanty, and they have done the job. I know our winters don't rival you lucky souls up north in god's country, But for me, I would buy LaCrosse again. I am going to replace these this year with the PFT models . It has been a good boot.

Ice_Spirit

« Reply #32 on: Jan 15, 2003, 02:26 PM »
Mickey Mouse and Bunny boots, I need not say anymore.

Offline kenelz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When the going gets tough, the tough go ice fishin
« Reply #33 on: Jan 15, 2003, 03:47 PM »
Whatever boot you use, if it has a liner, pull it out every couple days and dry them out. If you sweat a lot, pull them every use. You wont belive the difference.

fishfinder1

« Reply #34 on: Jan 15, 2003, 03:48 PM »
I wear Red Head thinsulated and my feet have never been cold. Micky Mouse is a good standing around boot. Better have a change of socks for sweaty feet though.

Offline RyGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 2005 Ice Shanty Tournament Winner - LargemouthBass
« Reply #35 on: Jan 15, 2003, 05:45 PM »
No one boot will keep your feet warmer than most of the tips put together fromt hese replies.  You need to figure out what is best for you but you can keep a few things in mind that will help.

Only dry boots keep your feet warm.

Insulate, stand on something between the ice and your feet, say carpet or wood

Keep dry, two pairs of socks, one to wick and one to warm and change them

Boots that aren't too tight, you aready have poor circulation don't make it worse

Keep the circultaion going, don't sit or stand toooo long, keep moving

Hydrate, a little water goes a long way

and if you smoke, quit it!  Pumping carbonmonoxide into your blood only thins it and makes you colder, no kidding.  
And the winner is>>>>

RyGuy

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 16, 2003, 04:22 AM »
Insulation between the ice and your feet is the key. Most good boots like the LaCrosse Ice have a generous amount of insulation in the sole. So they have the insulation between the ice and your feet already built-in.

BushMaster

« Reply #37 on: Jan 16, 2003, 04:38 AM »
Socks that wick moisture away from your feet will help a great deal as well. Make sure you have a good boot dryer to dry your boots out every night. I use a PEET dryer and love it!

Offline buck4dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing is life the rest is just details
« Reply #38 on: Jan 17, 2003, 11:52 AM »
The rocky extreme snowstalker the warmest bott on the planet. period!

rgfixit

« Reply #39 on: Jan 23, 2003, 01:58 PM »
Cabelas Trans Alaska Boots!...Bought them to replace my trusty Sorel Caribou boots..they sadly self-destructed...after 2 years hard water fishing in slush and sub zero temps I've found them to be the warmest thing I've ever put on my feet...waterproof...18"high...5.5lbs and near 2"layered insulation under the foot...I studded mine with #8 x 1/2" hex head sheet metal screws...They took a few trips to break in , but the rocker style sole makes them very easy to walk in... Do yourself a favor and get a Peet electric boot dryer to keep them ready for the next trip.

I can't endorse them enough...worth every penny!

Stay on the dry side!
RGFIXIT

Offline munchy71

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #40 on: Jan 23, 2003, 05:33 PM »
Sportsman's guide had a pretty good supply of gen-u-wine Mickey's in their catalog right after Christmas.  I just exchanged a pair of 11's for 10's.  Customer Service Rep. said they still had around 100 size 10's left, so there's probably at least a few left even now.  Look for them on their website.

RW
Rod Woten

Offline Steady_Eddie

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #41 on: Feb 05, 2003, 07:31 AM »
LaCrosse Ice King, warmest boot I've had so far !

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
« Reply #42 on: Feb 05, 2003, 11:05 AM »
I use Batas mickeys and they work well for me and I picked them up for 45 bucks off Ebay.

fish_slayer

« Reply #43 on: Feb 07, 2003, 07:02 PM »
I found a pair of boots that rates -135 for 70 bucks, and had built in ice cleats that flip down when you want to use them, they were A nice pair, bulky, but worth it, I think they may have been rockys, the best time to get boots is now, because they are all on sale(jan. feb.), and  are half price alot of places,  you should know however that pack boots from my experience are warmer than sport/hunting boots, it seems to be becauseof their bulkyness, a pair of 200 gram thinsulate hunting (leather or other material)/ sport boots are not as warm, because a pack boot with 200 grams will seem like a 400 gram hunting/sport boot. that is what I have found when fishing on very cold days, battery operated socks will help if you have cold boots, and can't get a new pair, I used my first pair this year, because I had an old pair that I was trying to make last the rest of the year. I got the pair that I talked about, but haven't tried them out yet.   Guess I won't be needing those battery operated socks

Offline Crappie_Killer_54

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FLAG
« Reply #44 on: Feb 17, 2003, 03:36 PM »
my vote goes for mickey mouse also they are hard to find but last for ever if you take care of them :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Feb 17, 2003, 03:50 PM »
MICKEY MOUSE BOOTS , I just wore out a pair I had for 15 years. I went on line looking for new ones.They just came in the mail .$50.00 ,wore them out on the ice the other day.They are the best boot you can get to keep warm ,I woulden't own anything else! :'(
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

wormyy

« Reply #46 on: Feb 19, 2003, 02:03 PM »
for all you cold  feet guys i use styrafoam from package meat and make isoles out of it for my  fishig boots thanks and keep on fishing and it works fine for me  thanks and keepon fishing

RSQCAL

« Reply #47 on: Feb 20, 2003, 01:04 AM »
There is alot to be said about a good pair of boots, but I still think the preperation of the feet is most important. With this I mean a good thin poly sock against the foot, a wool sock over that (maybe 2), a good loose fitting boot. When in the service we used the antipersperant spray on our feet also, I think it works well. (When using an antipersperant do this daily for about a week before using it in the boonies. As with using it under your arms it is more effective after repetative use then the occasional use.) The whole foot care system is needed to have and keep warm comfortable feet. The boot you use isn't usually the lone answer to warm feet. A good pair of boot is essential but before spending big bucks or condeming your present boots look at your whole foot care system!  ;)

MAINEIAC

« Reply #48 on: Feb 24, 2003, 10:14 AM »
Hi
great site
I just bought a new pair of boots after years of cold wet feet and I think I have the answer for you..

lightweight , waterproof from top to bottom ,lifetime guarantee to not crack and man are they comfortable..
They are called muck boots I got the arctic sports model they come up to just below the knee and are good for 40 below..
check out the website    
http://www.muckbootcompany.com/

Offline BlackIce

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • R U Scared?
« Reply #49 on: Mar 05, 2003, 09:09 AM »
I believe I posted on this thread earlier in the year after I bought my Rocky Snow Stalkers.  I have been out probably 50 times wearing these boots.  I also wear a pair of wicking socks.  My feet have been cold 1 time this year.  That was the night I was in and out of a 85 degree shack for a couple hours then went outside a couple more hours after that.  I believe my feet sweated even with the wicking socks due to the extreme heat of the shanty.  I have been out in -20 and -30 windchills and my feet have been fine.  My feet stay dry after using the gas auger and having water get all over my boots.  Well worth every penny of the $100 I spent on them.
R.I.P. Grandpa D. 1-6-10

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Mar 05, 2003, 09:29 AM »
When I am just sitting in a shack I wear a pair of tennis shoes. I slip on my boots when I need to venture outside.

This may not be practical if you are in and out all the time but it keeps your feet from getting too warm in the shack.

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #51 on: Mar 24, 2003, 03:16 AM »
LaCross icemans with a quality pair of wool socks will do the trick
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Griswold Pete

Re:The warmest ice fishing boots
« Reply #52 on: Aug 12, 2003, 01:21 PM »
Hey guys, Looking for a real good pair of ice fishing boots, If not the best. Now that I'm getting older, I'm losing circulation in my feet, my old boots don't keep my feet warm anymore do to this condition. I don't want to give up ice fishing for this reason only. There must be some really good boots for standing on ice all day. They all reccomend there boots are good for 25-30 below, BUT only if you keep moving! How about a boot where your standing on ice all day. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all.

Fishinwilly  
;)

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Aug 12, 2003, 01:24 PM »
Try the Ice Kings from Lacrosse.

Whatever you use it might help to take a couple of hunks of carpet along to rest your feet on. If you need layer a few pieces of carpet to help insulate your feet from the ice.

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #54 on: Aug 13, 2003, 12:20 AM »
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Griswold Pete

« Reply #55 on: Aug 13, 2003, 07:03 AM »
Fishinwilly, I've found that Muck Boots work very well.  They are 100% waterproof with a liner that wicks away internal moisture.  They've got Arctic Sport boots and The Woody which has camo design on it, both good in extreme cold.  They are in sporting goods and farm stores or online at www.muckbootsonline.co m

;)

Offline wolverine-iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Nov 27, 2003, 02:15 PM »
I`m into my 2nd pair of laccrosse ice-man.Like them alot more now that I wear the wicking undersock,beneath a pair of those smart wools,very warm even @ sub-zero temps when the suns rising.Have heard the rocky snowstalker extremes were also good,and not so bulky? You need warm feet to stay the day.

Offline lawnguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #57 on: Dec 24, 2003, 04:52 PM »
I'm going to have to agree with the ice-mans.  I've always been a fan of larger pac boots when still hunting or fishin out on the ice.  
Saftey First!!

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #58 on: Dec 25, 2003, 05:02 PM »
I have the icemans and have been wearing them for almost 10 years now and they show no wear on the soles and the liners are still like new. this wisconsin goatboy endorses them 100%
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #59 on: Dec 26, 2003, 04:23 PM »
I saw some boots at GM about 2 weeks ago and forgot who the mfg. was. It was Rockey or Lacrosse, i think and they were called Icewalkers cause they had a spike-claw that you could flip down to grip the ice. They were $99.00 and good for -80 (I think).
My 20 year old sorrels are shot and my feet freeze after 5 or 6 hours.
If anyone knows about these please post info.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.