Author Topic: Polypropalyne vs. Fleece  (Read 6879 times)

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Polypropalyne vs. Fleece
« on: Dec 12, 2005, 12:19 PM »
Ok, I was in a local outdoor shop today looking to buy some new clothes...I was looking for a balaclava and some under protection. They had body suits in both Polypropalyne and fleece...the poly suits were nearly twice as much as the fleece outfits..now I have been using fleece the last few years and I like it, so my question is...is  it worth paying extra cash to pick up the poly suit?

CSP88

Re: Polypropalyne vs. Fleece
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2005, 01:48 PM »
Poly is used for its moisture/perspiration wicking capabilities where as fleece is used for its warmth factor.

Chad

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicks dig blaze orange!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2005, 11:52 AM »
Poly is used for its moisture/perspiration wicking capabilities where as fleece is used for its warmth factor.

Chad
Ditto, CSP88.  We're talking apples and oranges here.  I wear polypro long johns, then expidition weight union suit, then fleece pants/crew, then wool.  The polypro is for moisture control and the rest is for insulation.
High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement .

Seattle Seven Member #000003

Offline BillB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2005, 09:37 PM »
Check out the balaclava made by Outdoor Research. Best one I've found so far. Oh, and Hilton Tent City has an excellent price. ;D

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2006, 08:01 AM »

Chad  they make heavy ones fleeced lined i altough my mid weights are w/o fleece and there warmer. if your dry you'll be warm.

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline fishingonly2002

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 1st in State
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2006, 01:34 PM »
poly-pew. I hate poly, unless you plan on sweating ( skiing, jogging, etc. ) go with fleece.

I would put down a couple extra bucks on hot chillies though. warmest longjohns out there.

~Neal
Life is an art designed by those who live it.

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Aug 16, 2006, 10:00 AM »
poly-pew. I hate poly, unless you plan on sweating ( skiing, jogging, etc. ) go with fleece.

I would put down a couple extra bucks on hot chillies though. warmest longjohns out there.

~Neal

you wouldnt catch me in hot chilies :tipup:
theres no reason for poly if your on a 4wheeler to your stand then climb your stand and sit all day in 20 and lower degree weather, then hop on your 4 wheeler to track your deer and use the 4 wheeler to drag your deer out, yeah, why buy poly ??? but for those who walk or stalk and drag your deer poly is great :tipup:

CSP88

« Reply #7 on: Sep 01, 2006, 02:39 PM »
theres no reason for poly if your on a 4wheeler to your stand then climb your stand and sit all day in 20 and lower degree weather, then hop on your 4 wheeler to track your deer and use the 4 wheeler to drag your deer out, yeah, why buy poly ??? but for those who walk or stalk and drag your deer poly is great :tipup:

Same could be said for the person who pulls his sled by hand out onto the ice.  Its nice to have the poly to wick away the moisture, which in turn keeps you dryer and warmer.

Chad

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 01, 2006, 04:53 PM »

Same could be said for the person who pulls his sled by hand out onto the ice.  Its nice to have the poly to wick away the moisture, which in turn keeps you dryer and warmer.

Chad

lol, i must have thought i was posting over on MHF :D thats what i meant :tipup:

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #9 on: Sep 23, 2006, 02:09 PM »
I used the poly for a few years while in the service (and after), but I found myself going back to, believe it or not, thick cotton (dressing in layers of course).  I personally am more comfortable and warm in cotton.  The trick is not to sweat too much or get wet.  If it's windy or seriously cold (-10 or colder usually) I will wear oversized rain gear over my coveralls.  It cuts the wind and retains much of the heat that would otherwise be lost.  As for boots- I always wear bunny boots (I don't know the actual name) that I've had since being in the service.  They are WARM and waterproof!  The only problem is finding a cleat harness big enough to fit over the boot.

Offline Redbeard1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Sep 23, 2006, 09:05 PM »
I personally am more comfortable and warm in cotton.  The trick is not to sweat too much or get wet. 

Yeah, that's the trick alright! ::)  You're still better off with a wicking layer first!  That ain't cotton.

I started with the polypro for a couple years, switched to Coldgear(by Under Armor), WILL NOT GO BACK!  Yeah, I know they're expensive, but, c'mon- who doesn't spend good money on the good stuff!
PATRICK

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Sep 23, 2006, 11:46 PM »
i love my poly. i have 2 sets one is fleece lined

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 24, 2006, 08:30 AM »
Two words, Under Armour.  The best underprotection ever made.
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #13 on: Sep 24, 2006, 06:52 PM »
Underarmour looks great...but the price....I can add two or three more rods to my arsenal

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Sep 25, 2006, 08:43 AM »
Underarmour looks great...but the price....I can add two or three more rods to my arsenal

very true, but i have them and man, im glad i spent the money, they will last along time, plus not only for icefishing, but you can use them for hunting and fall/spring stream fishing, etc...

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 25, 2006, 12:40 PM »
very true, but i have them and man, im glad i spent the money, they will last along time, plus not only for icefishing, but you can use them for hunting and fall/spring stream fishing, etc...

I was a little hesitant on the price also, but it was money well spent.  There is nothing on the market that will wick away moisture like these and keep you dry.
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Sep 25, 2006, 12:41 PM »
I was a little hesitant on the price also, but it was money well spent.  There is nothing on the market that will wick away moisture like these and keep you dry.

plus my wife tells me i look sexy in them :woot: :roflmao:

Offline Redbeard1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Sep 25, 2006, 01:25 PM »
My wife told me I looked like Homer Simpson meets Batman!!!  DOH!!!
PATRICK

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Sep 25, 2006, 03:30 PM »
My wife told me I looked like Homer Simpson meets Batman!!!  DOH!!!

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline BAZOOKAJOE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 02, 2006, 05:36 PM »
Polypro does it's job but can be a little itchy.  I might have to switch over to the underarmour.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.