Author Topic: Using science and common sense to stay warm.  (Read 1969 times)

Paradice

Using science and common sense to stay warm.
« on: Nov 30, 2005, 12:16 AM »
Some people from the Discovery Channel did a show on hypothermia and frostbite.  Here's the short version of what they had to say:

The key to staying warm and keeping your toes and fingers nose and ear from freezing up on you is a matter of taking care of your internal organs.  Your extremeties get cold because your body is diverting energy from those parts to keep your heart, lungs, liver, kidneys etc warm.  The body has a given amount of energy at any one time.  Those parts get priority over your extremeties (check spelling on that one).  So, to fix the problem, I layer up my chest.  A few sweat shirts with the sleeves cut off and a vest will keep your innerds warm, your sleeves unstuffed and your tips as warm as you need. 

Give it a shot.  It worked for me when we were sitting in the tree stands for 6 hours at a time when the temp was a high of 5.  Quality clothing is also essential, but when you keep your chest and stomach well insulated, you are going to multiply the benefits of the money you spent on your $100 boots and the other $$'s you sank into jackets, pants, hats and gloves. 

Keep your stick on the ice... 

-Red Green

Offline Tip-UpTommer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Using science and common sense to stay warm.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2005, 07:39 AM »
I think i saw that show too. they were testing it out on some guy and making him freeze haha. anyway i think that keeping your internal core warm helps keep your feet and hands warm but as soon as i take my hands out of my gloves when its really cold out they still get cold.

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2005, 08:23 AM »
another good thing to remember ( i know its been shared here a few times)

cotton sucks!
it holds sweat and well it sucks

it pays to spend a few extra tokens and get some clothes that will wick the sweat away when your out there chasin flags all day

Offline WartHog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2005, 11:58 AM »
I second that.  Stay dry and stay away from cotton!

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicks dig blaze orange!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2005, 02:41 PM »
Core body temp is the whole key to preventing hypothermia and feeling warm.  Before you bundle up your center, which I completely agree with, put some fuel in the furnace.  Stay away from sugar and processed carbs.  Think protien and "whole" carbs.  Trail mix, eggs, nuts, whole grains...etc.  Now layer up and keep all the heat from that long burning fire inside.
High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement .

Seattle Seven Member #000003

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.