Author Topic: Head to Toe- What Are You Wearing?  (Read 13069 times)

Offline Heartland

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Enjoying The Great Outdoors in America's Heartland
Head to Toe- What Are You Wearing?
« on: Nov 22, 2005, 05:52 PM »
A seminar I attended last year (by Todd Berg) mentioned an important tip-
If you are the least bit cold, you're done.

Are you investing your money in the best possible gear to ward off the chill?

If so- what are you wearing out there?

Offline UncleFluffy

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Head to Toe- What Are You Wearing?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2005, 07:02 PM »
Well, I don't have to tell you that layers are the key.  The trick is to find good quality layers without having bulk.  The last thing you need to have out there is to look like Ralphie's little brother from the movie A Christmas story.  Anyway, I start with a good set of wicking thermals, then add fleece pants and a fleece zip down top.  If I get too warm, I can zip down a bit to cool down.  If I know it's going to be miserably cold out, I add a pair of waterproof (but breathable) bib overalls.  I'll also put on an insulated vest in very low temps.  Over all of this goes Cabela's Snowy Range Suit.  It's meant for snowmobilers, but with all the reinforcement on the knees, elbows, etc. it makes for a great ice fishing suit as well (and much cheaper than a Trans-Alaska suit). 

On top goes a fleece neck gaiter that can cover from my neck to the bridge of my nose and around my ears if need be.  I also use a polar fleece stocking cap, but again if the conditions are miserable I can trade this out for a furry Mad Bomber hat. 

On the bottom, I start with a thin poly sock, and then a fitted wool sock that has elastic not only on the calf area, but around the mid section of the foot as well.  This keeps the sock from shifting in the boot.  The boots are a size 15 Browning pac with 800 grams of Thinsulate.  I probably would have preferred more, but when a budget prevails and your feet are as large as mine, it tends to limit your options. 

On the fingers, I usually keep a set of Thinsulate lined fingerless wool gloves.  Over that I wear a heavy mitt that will easily slip over the woolies so that I warm the fingers back up in a hurry if need be. 

I guess if I had to change anything, I would probably try some of the new Under Armor, but maybe Santa will bring that for me. ;)
Kent Vanderploeg

Put Them Back...Put Them All Back.

Offline tarbot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2005, 08:27 PM »
Wool socks
Webfoot body sock (Polarstrech fleece union suit, moisture wicking and warm)
Fleece shirt
Fleece pants
GMax snowmobile jacket
Snowmobile bibs (do not have yet) currently have Sorel downpour pants and Columbia Titanium bibs
Snowmobile gloves (do not have yet) currently have last years Columbia mitts
Cabelas Glacier Point boots (bulky but warm)
Windstopper Fleece hat with built in face mask (Might get a Mad bomber hat?)

For the really cold stuff... Stearns I570 flotation suit

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2005, 04:56 AM »
Nothing fancy for me (I'm a thrift store kinda guy).  Cotton socks, then wool socks, then my Lacrosse pac boots.  Plain jane long johns, blue jeans, and Insulated Carhartt bibs.  Long john shirt, sweater, hooded sweatshirt, Carhartt coat.  Stocking cap and a face scarf.  Insulated Gloves.  I work outside all day, everyday, and I wear the same clothes to work as I do when I go fishing, (except for the hard hat) and this combination works well for me.  The biggest thing is to do what works best for you, and don't be afraid to wear too many layers as you can always strip a layer off.
Darkhouse

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2005, 06:00 AM »
Starting at the bottom  Sorel Glacier boots, no socks. Jeans, waterproof uninsulated bibs. turtleneck, chamois shirt, thin sweatshirt, hoodie, waterproof uninsulated jacket. I can sit outside on a bucket all day like this.
Pete Lewis

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2005, 06:53 AM »
In Minnesota, we wear a tee shirt, jeans, and a ball cap until it gets around -30, then we break out a wind breaker.  HA

I start with -100 Lacross pack boots, with regular cotton socks.  I wear dual faced long johns , tops and bottoms (blue on the out side white on the inside) the only ones I have found not to somewhat suck, then I have flannel lined jeans and Carhartt bibs.  On top I usually wear a turtle neck or dickie, a wool pull over, Carhartt jacket, Jocka Polar gloves with skin tight rubberized gloves underneath them, and last but not least, the hat

Offline SleePac

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'd Rather Be Ice Fishing!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2005, 07:24 AM »
Leather Thong G-String....Lace Bra....Metal Studded Necklace....Shackels Around My Feet.....ahh...crap... .wrong website....sorry!

::)

Sorry for the visual, ya'll!

Just Kidding.... ;D

I have been thinking about that Under Armour stuff, though....just having a hard time justifying the $100+ it will cost to get top and bottom!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2005, 10:39 AM »
Staring at the head and going down...

IS Tougue
cotton Turtle neck (Toronto maple Leafs Logo...always)
Fleece top
Canadian Goose (Brand) Down jacket
Thermal underwear
Snowboarding pants (fleece lining)..perfect comfort
Dress Sock with wool sock over top
Wolverine Boots
......flip gloves for fishing comfort...this year I will be picking up the Ice Armor gloves

Offline gill

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2005, 12:19 PM »
Carhartt Gear is hard to beat ;D :tipup:

Offline tarbot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2005, 12:44 PM »
Here is a link to the body sock.  It's a little pricey, but well worth the $$$$$.  I love mine.
http://www.cdsportswear.com/index.html

Offline TackleTester

• IceShanty Rookie
  • sorry i'm late, fishing is more important
« Reply #10 on: Nov 25, 2005, 10:17 AM »
I start with a pair of Under Armor Cold Gear...(stuff is awesome)...then i put another pair of Under Armor over that (my bad bought it and it didnt fit him so he gave it to me :D).  Then I wear a hoodie and if it's really chilly i wear a big bulky winter jacket over that.  Gloves I just wear a couple cheap pairs and bring hand-warmers....it works for me....

On the other side of things, I wear a pair of long johns, with a pair of sweat pants over that and then a really nice insulated pair of snow pants.  Then I wear regular cotton socks under a pair of wool socks and then of coarse a decent pair of boots.  My feet always get freezing but everything else is nice and toasty.  Oh yea, I wear a Colt's hat....
CEO Tackle Testers International

Offline Turkeyhunter10ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 25, 2005, 04:27 PM »
Same as darkhouse , but without the hard hat , now that i work in an office. Not that i'm cheap or anything , but that is what works for me , especially when i was out on the highways towing broke down semi's.

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 27, 2005, 09:31 AM »
Wool toque with thinsulate and fleece lining
Polar fleece shirt.
Blue jeans.
Icelandic wool socks after applying Mitchum antiperspirant to feet.
Sorel feltpaks.
Helly Hanson fleece lined waterproof bibs.
Columbia Parka with removeable fleece liner.
Wool flip over mitts, thinsulate lined.
SUNGLASSES!!!!!!!!!

I put on the boots, bibs, & parka when I leave my pickup to avoid sweating in them on the way to the lake.  Makes a world of difference in staying warm for a lot longer time.

Offline tarbot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2005, 02:29 PM »
Wool toque with thinsulate and fleece lining
Polar fleece shirt.
Blue jeans.
Icelandic wool socks after applying Mitchum antiperspirant to feet.
Sorel feltpaks.
Helly Hanson fleece lined waterproof bibs.
Columbia Parka with removeable fleece liner.
Wool flip over mitts, thinsulate lined.
SUNGLASSES!!!!!!!!!

I put on the boots, bibs, & parka when I leave my pickup to avoid sweating in them on the way to the lake.  Makes a world of difference in staying warm for a lot longer time.

Ah...yes one of the most important things...SUNGLASSES!  I forgot about those!

Offline Zgills08

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2005, 06:49 PM »
Regular cotton socks
Long underwear
Fleece pants
T-shirt
Henley shirt
Flannel shirt
Fleece shirt
10x hunting coat(non waterproof)
Browning gore-tex  bibs
1000 gram Rocky Bear Claw boots
Browning gore-tex gloves
scarf
Carhart winter hat
sun glasses

Offline pizalm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Git-R-Done
« Reply #15 on: Dec 02, 2005, 08:56 PM »
Ankle socks
Wool Socks
Sorels
Whatever pants I was wearing when I decided to go
Snow Pants (Cheap from sears still work great)
T-shirt
Hoodie
Winter Jacket (Also from sears and it also is pretty warm)
Gloves are from Canadian Tire (Just insulated work gloves)
Sunglasses
and a Beanie Toque

I haven't been cold yet other than my fingers. I would like some better stuff like Carharrts but I'm pretty broke so this stuff will work I guess. The coldest I've fished like this would be about -15 Celsius and not tons of wind. And I lost my sunglasses when I went out yesterday so I need a new pair of them.
pour me another one, I'm finished with the other one

Offline Heartland

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Enjoying The Great Outdoors in America's Heartland
« Reply #16 on: Dec 04, 2005, 09:34 AM »
Actually, I do wear the Carhartts all day at work, but don't consider them the warmest clothing for ice fishing. They are durable, sure- but for warmth I'm still on the prowl for a good jacket for a day on the ice.

Offline pizalm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Git-R-Done
« Reply #17 on: Dec 04, 2005, 03:17 PM »
Yeah about the Carharrts warmth, I've wondered about the warmth and that. To clarify I guess I would like some carharrt pants as opposed to the jacket. I find the Jacket I have is surprisingly warm other than the sleeves being a bit on the short side. I'm 6'7 so that makes it a bit harder to find stuff long enough for me, I'm on the lean side so most stuff will fit around me no problem but lengthwise I have problems.
pour me another one, I'm finished with the other one

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicks dig blaze orange!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 05, 2005, 04:06 PM »
On the coldest outings:
Poly-pro socks
Fitted fleece socks
Irish Setter Deer Stalker boots (I'm lucky [and young] my feet don't get cold, yet :whistle:)
Silk weight wicking long johns
Expidition weight Poly union suit, sleeveless
Fleece Pants
Fleece zip-top crew
Fleece vest
Wool Bibs
Wool Jacket
Poly-pro liner gloves, finger cut off
Ragg wool mitts with the fold back finger piece
Outer shell mitts
Poly neck gaiter
Fleece gaiter
Poly cap
Mad Bomber Hat

No cotton should ever touch your skin.  Cotton kills, as they say.  If you like wool, check out Columbia's Gallatin Range wool bibs and jacket.  I'll never wear anything else on the well below zero days.
High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement .

Seattle Seven Member #000003

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 06, 2005, 04:29 PM »
poly liner socks w/ good pair of wool socks, lacrosse-100 pacs, 2 pairs expedition weight long johns w/ a pair of big bill waterproof insulated pants. top is ll beans river drivers shirt with a wool sweater or heavy sweatshirt  heavy fleece jacket w/ codet snowmobile jacket over that. thinsulate deerskin mittens and fleece bomber hat finishes it off. good to about-30 with no shelter.

Offline musky-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 09, 2005, 12:24 PM »
4 layers of socks, 2 layers of pajamas, jeans, snow pants,  under amour crap,t shirt, 2 long sleeve shirts, 2 hoodies, and i bring a snowboarding jacket, gloves and mittens. i stay warm  ;D
if your not fishing, your not living

Fishmon

« Reply #21 on: Dec 09, 2005, 12:57 PM »
For really cold weather and iron man fishing (5 gallon bucket and jig rod) I start with  polar tech long underwear and fleece top.  I use a pair of light poly socks under a heavy wool sock.  I bought a Cabellas down parka and bib overalls at an end of year sale a few years ago that are really warm and are like a space suit.  The parka waist has a elastic cuff that keeps drafts out and the snorkle hood is also insulated.  Not much for peripheral vision, but warm.  I have been out on numerous occasions in ungodly cold weather on Lake George in upstate NY.  I use Sorel boots that I have had for years.  Just keep replacing liners when worn out.  I don't seem to have problems with hands so I can use just about any glove.  Now have fish trap and heater.  Parka goes off in trap and I am comfortable with bib overall and fleece top.  More like a tin man now. ;D

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 19, 2005, 01:41 PM »
Under Armour cold weather shirt
Coldwave jacket
Coldwave bibs
Coldwave gloves
LaCrosse Extreme PFT

Offline bladebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Your Line Wet And Your Noodles Warm!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 21, 2005, 08:15 PM »
I just wear the Stearns I-580 Worksuit which is a hypothermia survival suit.Underneath it I just wear jeans or sweat pants and a sweatshirt.Wind chill makes no difference because it does'nt penetrate the suit.When I'm done fishing I just zip off the suit and that's it.It's also a floatation device if you would happen to fall through.As with any sport safety should be first. I've had my suit for 2 years now and yet have been cold except for hands and face.Even my feet stay warmer because the pants zipper over the top part of my boots.Suit is a little stiff but nothing all that bad.I have about 6 friends who have these suits and all are very satisfied. Mustang Survival makes a good suit also.Can get some excellent deals on these suits on Ebay.Just type in"survival suit"
Some men fish real hard but only "real men" fish hardwater!

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 07, 2006, 08:08 AM »
helly hensen poly under  walls blizzard suit, lacrosse extreme  pft's,wool fingerless gloves with polar mittens, wool hat, heavy smart wool socks.                                                                         

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 20, 2006, 09:15 AM »
smart wool socks
Fleece pants
sweater
base ball cap
then over all the is the CLAM Ice Armor Fishing Suit
then the boots are rocky 1600 gram ..
Hard Ice

Offline RedWolfUSAF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 20, 2006, 10:32 AM »
Two things I will not be without... 1) A hand muff with some disposable heater packs stuffed inside... 2) A fleece neckgaiter.  Those two things make every clothing combination seem a bit warmer IMHO.
Don't Stand Outside too long......

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #27 on: Feb 21, 2006, 10:46 PM »
start form the feet up
>thin work socks
>wool socks
>my snowmobile boots which are rated for -50 and work great or my insulated workboots which are rate -70 and they stay warm at -60 thats the coldest its been this winter with the windchil
>jeans
>cotton boxers(nice and warm ;))
>t-shirt
>hoodie
>my McKinley snowboarding jacket or my grandpa's old wool jacket(extreamly warm)
>waterproof ice fishing gloves with big leather mittens to go over top when really cold out
>when its -15 and up just a touqe
>when its below -15 a balcava then a touqe
>below -25 i wear a fleece or wool face mask with a thinsulate touqe
>below -30 and when the wind is really cold i wear a face mask and my snomobile helmet  8)
>my rapala sunglasses

only time feet have been cold was when i didnt dry them out or when i wore them in the truck on the way to the lake. everything else has been toasty warm ;D.

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 28, 2006, 10:10 PM »
I wear a light jacket that comes off when the shack heats up...under a half hour...but it is hardly "iron man " fishing  ;D
I fish from an insulated 6x9 shanty...warmed with a small wood burning stove ....very comfy in my T-shirt and jeans .
I do however keep a heavy down parka in the truck in case of emergencies or if (horrors!) I hafta drill/check holes outside .
Been there done that .

Offline vermontgirl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Mar 09, 2006, 05:41 PM »
can't beat Johnson wools...thin underwear underneath and they are toasty.  Sorel boots are the best too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.