Author Topic: Handmade Custom Knife Makers  (Read 1617 times)

Offline NorthNH603

• Team IceShanty Regular
Handmade Custom Knife Makers
« on: May 04, 2022, 08:49 AM »
Good Morning,

I would like to purchase a handmade custom knife to commemorate a big event I have coming up.

Id like to get a folder that I can wear and use everyday.

If anyone has a recommendation on a good reputable builder I’d appreciate it.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Handmade Custom Knife Makers
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2022, 10:20 AM »
I use a Swiss Army knife. By no means a “custom” knife but I carry this on my belt and use it all the time. I likely use the scissors and toothpick the most.

Offline NorthNH603

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2022, 10:29 AM »
Those are handy. I have a few leathermans I carry pretty consistently. Definitely looking for something a little more handmade though.

Offline Badder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2022, 11:30 AM »
Rapid River Knifeworks Inc. Delta County Michigan. They have some sweet knives. I have a beautiful folder and fixed blade. Both are well built and unique. They may seem a little pricey but worth every penny. Good luck in your search.
SPIN 2 WIN!

Offline NorthNH603

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2022, 12:03 PM »
Thank you.

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2022, 02:36 PM »
We have a local couple here that make knives and love their work, cannot get the Facebook web page on my work computer but Draper Knives in Wyoming to search for them.

Offline NorthNH603

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2022, 04:24 PM »
Oh man, I just looked at those! Very nice!

Offline SPIN 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2022, 04:37 PM »

More than 3 cars in my driveway when I get home ? Probably an intervention! I’m outta there!

Offline thepikepolice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2022, 07:39 PM »
Knives of Alaska and ESEE are also top tier

Offline NorthNH603

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2022, 08:16 PM »
Thank you all. Some very solid suggestions, going to reach out to a couple and see what they have time for.

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2022, 08:16 PM »
My EDC is an Opinel #6. It'll do most everything, save split wood. Next choice is my first knife, a BSA special with two blades, an awl and a bottle/can opener. I got the latter in 1973 when I was a Cub scout. Neither one is too fancy, and both fit readily in my hand. I've filleted fish, sliced apples, cheese and tomatoes, cut rope and flowers.

What kind of look are you going for? A folder like a Buck knife, or something more tactical? Something with two or three blades, like a Case knife? A Bowie knife? A fixed blade Canada special with the stack of leather rings for the handle?

Or something altogether different? I saw a guy take a generic knife blank, then made a silicone mold for the handle. He ended up embedding a fishing lure in epoxy, then buffed it to a clear glass finish. That could be adapted a bajillion ways.

Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline NorthNH603

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2022, 05:21 AM »
Looking for something like a buck knife. I’m making E7 in the Coast Guard which is a pretty big deal for me and want to get an heirloom quality knife that I can carry and actually use. I don’t want a knife that just sets in a box.

I have a bunch of nice benchmade knives already that I love, just looking for something nicer and “prettier”.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2022, 08:22 AM »
Could be another option...There are a lot of quality folding knives on the market these days. And with the EDC craze there are a lot of custom parts/accessories available also. There are also people selling full-blown customized knives that are amazing.

Just one example I have found: https://f2scustoms.com/   

This guy has some interesting videos on YouTube also: https://www.youtube.com/c/FittoSurvive/videos

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2022, 12:45 AM »
Looking for something like a buck knife. I’m making E7 in the Coast Guard which is a pretty big deal for me and want to get an heirloom quality knife that I can carry and actually use. I don’t want a knife that just sets in a box.

I have a bunch of nice benchmade knives already that I love, just looking for something nicer and “prettier”.

You want a Buck knife? Get a genuine, custom Buck knife then. https://www.buckknives.com/collections/custom-knives-and-engravable-gifts/
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.