Author Topic: Creamy Turkey Minnesota Wild Rice Soup  (Read 1865 times)

servocam

Creamy Turkey Minnesota Wild Rice Soup
« on: Dec 11, 2011, 11:10 PM »
Another one of my kids favorites that I make...will make this tomorrow

Creamy Turkey Minnesota Wild Rice Soup

Ingredients:
  • (1) left over Turkey carcass from Sunday nights dinner along with all of the drippings
  • (1) bag of yellow onions
  • (1) small bag of celery
  • (2) green peppers
  • minced garlic (buy a jar of pre-minced)
  • (1) small bag of Carrots
  • (1) package of Minnesota Wild Rice
  • (1) 12 - 16 oz of nitrate free, MSG free smoked or peppered bacon
  • (2) Tbsp of unsalted butter
  • (2) Tbsp of olive oil
  • (2) Tbsp of Sugar
  • Sea Salt & fresh ground pepper
  • 1/2 cup of Spiced Rum + 1 shot
  • 1 cup of cream or milk
  • 1/2 cup of Corn Starch

• Directions:
    Preparing the Stock:  This recipe is set for making with a left over turkey that you had for dinner.  If you do not have a turkey and want to make, then purchase (1) quart of organic chicken broth and (1) quart of organic vegetable broth. and skip to the next step.  Remove excess turkey and keep for later.  Take left over turkey carcass and all the left over drippings and anything else left in the roasting pan.  I usually make my turkey with onion, garlic, celery, so there is that.  If you skin your turkey, leave the skin the the roasting pan when you cook the turkey.  Put all in stock pot and add 8 cups of water.  If you did not use onion when you made your turkey, chop one up and add to stock.  Slice up two carrots; add to pot.  Slice up 3 stalks of celery; add to pot.  Take a heaping table spoon scoop of the minced garlic; add to pot.  Gently boil for 2 hours, turn off and let cool. Put large bowl in sink with strainer.  Strain stock.  Add ~2 cups of water back in stock pot, swirl around and pour in to strainer.  Let strainer drip and then discard all from the strainer.  We are just keeping the liquid stock.  Let stock cool and put in fridge for the night.

Preparing the Soup:  The first think you will want to do is get the Minnesota Wild Rice cooking.  Follow the directions on the package (1 cup of rice to 2 cups of water typical); takes about an hour.  Next is start the bacon and cook to nice crispiness.  While rice and bacon are cooking, chop up two medium size onions, three stalks of celery, and three medium carrots.  Heat soup pot on medium-high and add onion, butter, olive oil, few dashes of salt, cover in pepper, and add sugar. Saute for 5 minutes then add rum. Be careful when adding rum; if you ignite it, you can lose your eyebrows.  When rum is nearly gone, add green peppers, celery, carrots, and 1 cup of the refrigerated soup stock.  For the stock, scrape up and throw away the top fat if any thicker than 1/4 inch. Turn down to medium heat and continue to cook / saute vegetable for ~10-15 minutes, adding a little more stock if getting dry.  Goal here is to get the veggies soft.  Add in a heaping scoop of minced garlic.  Dump all the stock in to the pot, turn down to low-medium and cover.

Take left over turkey and cut up on to small ~1/4 inch chunks.  Chop up the crispy cooked bacon.  Add turkey and bacon to the soup; cover.  When rice is soft, even if there is still some water in the pot, dump in to soup pot and turn to medium-high.  In a measuring cup, add 1 cup of cold milk (or cream) and whisk in 1/2 cup of corn starch to remove clumps.  Slowly pour and whisk in to the soup as you bring it to boil.  The soup will begin to thicken.  Once it has thickened, turn down to low and let simmer.

At this point, the soup is ready to serve or you can let simmer for hours, stirring occasionally.  Many times I will start at noon and let simmer all afternoon for supper around 5 or 6pm.  I don't really ever measure, but this all sounds about right.  I just made my stock tonight, so will adjust the above tomorrow if need be when I make the soup.  I'll snap a few pics as well.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
    • Team IceshantyInsanity
    Re: Creamy Turkey Minnesota Wild Rice Soup
    « Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2011, 02:30 AM »
    Nice recipe! I'm going to try that with a leftover chicken (on a smaller scale).

I love making soups this time of year. I work outdoors nearly all the time. They're my lunch most days. Nothing like a hearty soup for lunch.

Sausage Lentil Soup

1/2 lb sweet Italian Sausage
    1/4 c. finely sliced bacon
    1c. chopped onion
    1 c. chopped celery
    1 c. chopped carrot
    1 heaping helping of fresh chopped garlic
    1 c. lentils
    1 qt. chicken stock (low sodium if you buy it)
    2 bay leaves
    1 tblsp. cracked pepper
    1 tsp. sea salt

Brown sausage in a pot and drain
    add vegetables and saute' til tender
    add garlic and bacon and saute' a bit longer
    add seasonings and chicken stock. Bring to a slow boil and reduce heat
    add lentils and simmer covered for about an hour.

Taste and adjust seasonings.

You can substitute a bottle of Heineken for 1/2 the stock or just drink the Heineken while you're cooking grin

Enjoy,
    RG
    "Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
    • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
    « Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2011, 06:11 AM »
    Both sound like good receipes.

servocam

« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2011, 07:44 AM »
    Nice recipe! I'm going to try that with a leftover chicken (on a smaller scale).

I love making soups this time of year. I work outdoors nearly all the time. They're my lunch most days. Nothing like a hearty soup for lunch.

This sounds good.  I usually do Chicken Noodle.  We should add Beer Can Chicken!

• 1 pint of good Beer (sorry, bud does not count).  Drink 1/2 the can, let rest warm to room temp
  • Fill beer can with orange, garlic, onion
  • Dry rub chicken with salt, pepper, garlic, maybe some lemon or your other favorites
  • Put beer can up chickens rear and grill until done!

• Offline Todd_NE

• Team IceShanty Regular
    « Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2011, 09:54 AM »
    Great post! Love wild rice soup, my recipe

1 lb of bacon chopped up and cooked just shy of crisp
    2 large Yellow Onions chopped
    2 stalks of Celery Chopped
    1 stick of butter
    1 gallon of milk
    1 pint of cream
    8-16 oz of cheddar
    salt & pepper to taste
    4 T flour
    1 lb of cooked wild rice (5 quarts cooked?)

Saute onions and celery in butter and , add flour for thickening and continue to cook a few minutes on low.
    Add the rest of the ingredients

Save the cheese and cream to add before serving

Use a big pot.  It will taste better if cooked, then cooled, then served the next day.

servocam

« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2011, 01:13 PM »
      It will taste better if cooked, then cooled, then served the next day.

Exactly right there.  Any soup, stew, sauce, or chilli is better if you can let cool and refrigerate over night.  My soup is in the pot right now!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
    • Team IceshantyInsanity
    « Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2011, 05:25 PM »
    Ahhhh, the drunken chicken

RG
    "Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

servocam

« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2011, 06:20 PM »
     :thumbsup:

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
    • Team IceshantyInsanity
    « Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2011, 01:48 AM »
    Love your George of The Jungle quote.....must be cooking and a warped sense of humor go hand in hand ;D

When I was running a hotel/restaurant I always said "I gotta be nuts to do this". I was pretty much right.

RG

servocam

« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2011, 03:39 PM »
    That is why we are good cooks!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
    Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
    © 1996- Iceshanty.com
    All Rights Reserved.