Author Topic: fish chowder  (Read 1795 times)

Offline aacosta

• Team IceShanty Addict
fish chowder
« on: Dec 09, 2011, 02:36 PM »
anyone have a good recipe? i know some are online but wanted to see if anyone had something special

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: fish chowder
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2011, 02:39 PM »
There was a good one on here last year called "Knutson's Fish Chowder". I have it printed and making some tonight for dinner.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2011, 03:22 PM »
Bet there are a few in here...or do a search.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=58.0
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Snakehunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2011, 07:48 PM »
I can't find the recipe I posted a few years ago. My best tip is to use good solid fish and cut into chunks - pike and ling are my favourite.
Do some searching and find any basic chowder recipe. The best one I ever made we labelled "Thing O'Ling Soup". I used a basic recipe and messed around with the ingredients a bit. Chowder is a simple thing. The more you complicate it the more chances of screwing it up!
Sorry I can't be of more help. If I find my recipe I will post it later.
Glen

Offline ajb05854

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2011, 12:57 AM »
Start with a good stock.  I only started making it 2 years ago, so I don't have it perfected yet, but it's good.  Keep in mind, I cook a lot, don't eat processed foods,  and enjoy doing it.  Sorry, I don't have exact amounts.  I can repost this with some measurements if you're interested after I catch some fish.  I cook by sight and taste.

For the stock, when I clean all my fish, I fillet them out and save everything but the guts and gills.  I take all the normal "waste" and throw it in a big pot.  I add some thyme, a bayleaf or 2, and peppercorns.  I also add in some celery, parsley, a carrot and an onion.  Some fresh lovage would be great as well, but that's pretty obscure...but delicious.  Cover all that with water and boil.  Yeah, it's going to smell like a lake in your house.  That smell will go away after a while and it will smell great.  After an hour or two, I strain it though a fine strainer.  Throw out everything else.  Yes, even the veggies.  If you try and eat them, they don't taste like anything after making a stock. 

Now comes the goodness.  I'll take a little pork fat...bacon, salt pork (my favorite), panchetta, it doesn't matter.  I'll render a little of that down and add in some onion and celery.  I'll sweat those down.  Then I add in a bunch of potatoes diced finely...like 1/2 inch, and the broth.  Cook that down until the potatoes are done.  Stir in some fish fillets and let it steep for a bit.  If you're using bluegill, they're pretty much done after a minute, but if you have huge chunks I'll wait.  I usually turn it off when I add the fish.  Sometimes I'll also add in a little chopped or dried tarragon.  Not much, you can overdo it easily.  I always salt things when I eat them.  The broth won't taste like anything until you add salt to it.  Just add it a little bit by a little bit until it's magical. 

I made this when I was visiting my parents last winter.  I went out to my dad's pond and caught a bunch of gills.  My dad came home as I was boiling it and was completely grossed out by it.  I mean grossed out by it!  After I finished it, I wanted him to try a bite.  He has a very meat and potatoes diet, but knows that if I make something and claim it's good it's probably good.  I ended up betting him something and he tried it.  He ended up eating the whole batch.  I was not happy about it.  It's worth the effort.  I also like how I don't waste any of the fish outside of a few edible organs.

Offline rudder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2011, 01:53 PM »
That sounds pretty good ajb05854. Last year I made alot of fishcakes (crabcakes)  that came out great. This year I'll give the chowder a try.

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2011, 03:03 PM »
I cheat a bit.  Start with a package of Knorr cream of potato soup.  increase water by 50%. chop up a carrot and add a cup of frozen corn kernels and 2 potatoes diced to 1/2 inch bits.  Simmer that until the potato and carrot are done.  Add the fish and return to boil. 2 minutes it's done.   ;D

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2011, 04:24 PM »
I first put this recipe up in '03. Lot's of members have enjoyed it. Simple and delish!

Perch Chowder (or Chowdah)
1 cup each diced (about 1/4" cube)
*potato
*carrot
*celery
*onion
1 can whole kernal corn (drained)
1 can chopped tomatoes
3 cups cubed perch fillets (or more)
3 whole bay leaves
2 Knorr vegetable boullion cubes (extra large cubes)
4-6 cups hot water or fish stock

Put vegetables in pot with bay leaves and boullion cubes, cover with water and bring to a boil...reduce heat and simmer 1 hour (minimum)
Season to taste with: Sea or Kosher salt, black pepper, pinch of Rosemary, dash of Old Bay ( We like lots of pepper...BAM!)

When vegetables are tender add perch and simmer 1/2 hour more

Serve with a topping of grated Romano cheese and a side of Garlic Toast

Substitutes;
*replace perch with any white flesh fish
*replace part of water with canned clam juice, fish or vegetable stock...chicken stock will work as well
*chopped scallions or leeks for onions

DELISH!
RGFIXIT
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.