The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Giant Chubby Darter  (Read 1721 times)

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
Giant Chubby Darter
« on: Jan 23, 2015, 06:44 AM »
Has anyone tried a Salmo Giant Chubby Darter as a decoy?  You'd just have to take off the hooks for decoying.  I have a couple for musky/pike fishing that I've barely used, just because I typically cast shallow water or troll with plugs.  They are balanced nicely and anyone whose fished with the smaller ones knows their action.   
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline jasonmichalski

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Giant Chubby Darter
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2015, 01:37 PM »
I've used smaller ones years ago in no size limit lakes, and they work great the pike love them, I used a perch patterned one.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2015, 06:43 PM »
They work very well.

WS

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
The test of man is not how how far he will go to win, but how far he will go when he has already lost.

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2015, 12:00 PM »
Thanks for the info, I ordered 2.  That's a good price, since SalmoUSA sells them for $17.99 on their site.

Offline jasonmichalski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2015, 07:25 AM »
For that price you could have got regular decoys my basic start at $20, lol

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2015, 12:59 PM »
I went to Mille Lacs last Friday, no fish spotted, but the GCB worked awesome as a decoy.  I removed the hooks and put a swivel/willow leaf blade where the rear hook was.  I actually had much more control then I thought I would.  The GCB wobbles on the rise and fall, and it propels forward on the fall, and I was actually able to control it quite well.  I was also able to bounce it along the bottom and hear it landing in the sandy areas, which I think would be a great attractant. 

I always use a decoy in conjunction with a live minnow, in this case, an 8"-9" shiner.  I usually spear with a live presentation and a decoy, usually in a pike pattern, so I was using the fire tiger GCB. 

I'd also be tempted to jig the GCD next year during early ice when I go tip-up fishing for northerns, which I never thought of doing.  I guess I figured the GCB was more of a summer lure until now.  Using it in a spear hole really opened my eyes as to how well it actually works and looks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.