Author Topic: Lake Mi Help  (Read 1734 times)

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Lake Mi Help
« on: Mar 01, 2021, 08:44 AM »
I know this is an ice fishing site but most haven't switched back yet to the other site and I know there's a lot of you that are experience early Southern Lake MI fishermen. My buddy and I are planning to try and do a lot more big lake fishing. Always been a goal of mine to learn more about the resource. Hoping to hear some of you can help me out with some basic how too's. What will we need as far as equipment, lures and expectations for early trolling. General locations and depths. Best launch is Mi City for us but can put in other locations. We hope to look at getting out starting anytime soon. What is the best time frame. We'll have to pick times when conditions are safe for 18ft deep V lund. Thanks   

Offline northrn-duck-assassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Lake Mi Help
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2021, 09:13 AM »
Send me p.m.'s with questions you have for specifics.

But early season trolling is easy. Biggest thing is safety on the lake. Knowing your winds/directions
Got one goin'!

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2021, 09:44 AM »
bigr,
I'm no expert and really not a big fan of The Big Lake but have fished it a number of times over the years for something to do. I live in Hobart only 5-6 miles from Portage ramp at Burns ditch.  I have a 1973  16' Starcraft Mariner and have had no problems. Just have to use your head and watch the wind and be safe. Have seen 12' Jon boats out there on a south wind???? Spring Cohos are often only a few hundred yards off shore when we get 70 degree March days. I have a couple of rod holders and I used a silver Hot-nTot with a black back. Runs 8'-10' deep no weight. Often times we'd come out of the Ditch, head west a quarter mile or so, turn around and troll east. Sometimes come in toward shore more. Often had a limit in an hour or so. I'm sure a lot  of guys on here  can give you good info. Key is to watch the wind and be safe!
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline Busman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2021, 11:26 AM »
Go to this website. They are very helpful. https://www.thesouthend.org/

Offline frog eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2021, 07:34 PM »
Plenty safe for your 18' Lund if you play it smart and watch the weather, South wind is best. North East will kick up the waves too much. The water is dirty this time of year so anything with a rattle and an orange color is good to strart. You'll hear people mention Stom Thin fins but those are the older ones and the new ones don't have a rattle so are not as good but everything catches. Upper 10 FOW. Flat line with shallow runners and dipsy divers are the cheapest way to get multiple poles in the water. When you see a pack of boats just follow the same direction and it's like a big circle to keep things civil.  The bite will last until about late April. Around May you'll see the reports picking up North near Waukegan then it's time to slip out deeper and use different presentation like lures and dodger / fly

Offline MC_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2021, 07:09 AM »

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2021, 08:35 AM »
Thanks guys for all the replies.

Offline chicagill34

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • They're biting by that guy over there!!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2021, 11:26 AM »
Hey!! I finally get to help you out for once Big R!! I get out to the southern tip on occasions but I don't go by boat,mostly off the piers. But I use shrimp,squid and nightcrawlers about 4ft down under a float.Some people like using the spawn sacs as well. You can cast or troll some Little Cleos (Orange/Chrome) Blue/Chrome or the Green/Chrome. The Krocodiles also come in them colors as well. It's up to you how heavy of a spoon you want. I know it's not tips for on the boat but I know the Coho's love them baits. Should be an interesting season since there wasn't alot of pressure on the fish last spring due to the pandemic. And I forgot to mention bring some white or chartreuse twister tails for fishing along walls and rocks.

Offline Tim Burr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2021, 01:18 AM »
This has been a hot topic on Facebook page. Fishing the Area NWI. Good luck Big R. If the shore bites are good, (im a shore guy) the fish are just outside those areas on the big lake
Looks Like a Good Spot

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.