Author Topic: Laker/burbot rods.  (Read 1829 times)

Offline Trapper906

• IceShanty Rookie
Laker/burbot rods.
« on: Feb 24, 2021, 05:03 PM »
What all are you guys using out on the bay? It's time that I get a new rod I heard some cracks from mine last time out.

I would like to keep it some what cheaper maybe up to 50 bucks for a good one but 25 would be better.

Offline Flag UP

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Laker/burbot rods.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2021, 05:39 PM »
I use HT Ice Blue Heavy Action rods in 32" for Jigging and 24" for my set lines. I use a 2000 size spinning reel with 15# test spiderwire line on it. That is what I use for jigs from 1/4 oz up to 1 oz (the heaviest I use).  i also jig with a medium heavy action 32" rod that I bought it on E bay years ago but I don't remember any specifics about it.

Offline whiteymalone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2021, 11:04 PM »
A Jason Mitchell Mackinaw Big Fish Series Ice Rod is a perfect choice. The 38" MH spinning is a very good choice for $40. Other actions, lengths, and casting reel models are available. I was looking at them on the Thorne Bros. site.

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2021, 09:41 AM »
I have 2 laker rods picked out for this season that got the ultimate test a week ago.
My research lead me to the Clam "Mack" 38" MH, when it came on I thought it was way too  stiff.
I picked up a Fenwick elite 32". Which felt just right
After fishing for some big lakers, the mack is where it's at. Hook sets were good, handling at the hole was good.
Where  as the Fenwick was a little soft for driving the hook deep into the boney jaw of the fish. Lost a giant at the hole, watched my jig pop right out.
Both are nice rods, really depends on the class of fish  you are hunting

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2021, 09:44 AM »
I have 2 laker rods picked out for this season that got the ultimate test a week ago.
My research lead me to the Clam "Mack" 38" MH, when it came on I thought it was way too  stiff.
I picked up a Fenwick elite 32". Which felt just right
After fishing for some big lakers, the mack is where it's at. Hook sets were good, handling at the hole was good.
Where  as the Fenwick was a little soft for driving the hook deep into the boney jaw of the fish. Lost a giant at the hole, watched my jig pop right out.
Both are nice rods, really depends on the class of fish  you are hunting..on a side note, this was east coast so I cannot speak for your water..
This was from last week

Offline Graygills22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2021, 01:55 PM »
Nice fish!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.