Author Topic: Snowdog compact or standard  (Read 2894 times)

Offline WYOBEAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
Snowdog compact or standard
« on: Feb 21, 2021, 06:25 PM »
Question for all you Snowdog guys.  I'm looking at purchasing a Snowdog this off season and was wondering what size?  Compact or standard?  They make both sizes with the 13.5 horse motor so power is the same but can the compact do everything the standard can?  Can you put a reverse kit on the compact?   Will the compact pull the same as the standard?  Looking to ice fish with it mostly but will pull an animal or two out of the woods as well.  Thanks for the help!

Offline Poco+loco

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Snowdog compact or standard
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2021, 08:41 PM »
I've owned the compact for three years. This past season I installed the reverse kit.Makes moving and storing it a lot easier.The compact is more manuverable than the standard , seeing that the compact is 8 inches shorter than the standard.

Offline WYOBEAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2021, 07:01 AM »
Thanks Poco+loco!  If you don't mind me asking how does it pull?  Do you ever need more power or traction?  Would the weight of the compact make a difference or track length?  Thanks again.

Offline Poco+loco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2021, 07:14 PM »
I use mine strictly for ice fishing. Halls two sleds with two people full of gear anywhere.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2021, 06:49 AM »
I think the big difference between compact and standard is the length of the overall unit and track. Not all that much difference in weight or width and no difference in HP with the 13.5 engine.
I suspect the compact will pull a decent load but the standard will pull more with the longer track and more rubber on the road so to speak. Both can get the reverse from the factory or as a DIY project but if you want reverse I suggest you buy the dog with it from the factory.
I just fished a local contest here with buddies and my standard dog. I pulled 2 very full 2 man pop up shanties and another very heavy sled loaded with lots of gear on a very messy lake with lots of snow and slush with no problems at all. Here is a picture of the train and the guy taking the photo stands in my sled behind me for the run. I will estimate easily 600 pounds and it never even felt it.

If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Poco+loco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2021, 07:04 PM »
Another difference between the Compact and Standard  is the reverse feature,if wanted. The Standard is the only one that you can purchase from the factory with reverse installed. With the Compact you can not get it factory installed. You need to buy the kit and install it yourself if your mechanically inclined , or have it done for you.

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2021, 11:52 AM »
I have the standard with reverse. Unless you need the smaller one to fit it in somewhere I would get the full size standard with reverse from factory. This has been a game changer for this old fat man. Reverse is useful for loading/ unloading ( I have a hitch hauler ) as well as just maneuvering in tight spaces etc.
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2021, 05:29 PM »
I have the standard with reverse. Unless you need the smaller one to fit it in somewhere I would get the full size standard with reverse from factory. This has been a game changer for this old fat man. Reverse is useful for loading/ unloading ( I have a hitch hauler ) as well as just maneuvering in tight spaces etc.

How easy is it to steer one of those snowdogs. I have been looking into one of them too.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Poco+loco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 09, 2021, 06:28 PM »
very easy.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 10, 2021, 03:38 AM »
In the past few weeks I have had occasion to use my Snowdog Standard for both ice fishing and on deep snow covered trails on our hunting property. I do agree with Poco & Loco the dog is rather simple to steer on the ice and even if there is deep snow to a point. If the snow is on top of slush that you break through the steering becomes more difficult as with any other mode of transportation. I was however very impressed at the towing ability my dog had in some real crap.
Out in the woods on old logging roads where I have 18 inches of snow and some with a heavy crust on top it became quite the workout. The dog powered through all I pointed it at and over but in just a few miles of travel my body felt it. I don't have the seat in my sled and honestly I think the seat would be worthless for trail travel while it would be fine on the ice. You definitely need your legs and upper body on full alert going through uneven terrain like what I went through. I laid it over twice on the trail because I was not paying attention to the off kilter track I was traveling.
I fished my local lake yesterday and used the dog to drag all my gear about a mile to my favorite spot. In the morning at 20 degrees the ice was solid glare ice with no snow or slush. My track has ice screw studs and my dogs sled has snowmobile carbide runners on the rear so everything stays straight behind me. In some smooth spots I could run at full speed, about 20 MPH towing a full load. That was the dog and it's sled and a 2 man flip shanty and another sled all in line. No issues whatsoever. It got pretty warm during the day and the top ice had an inch or two of water on top but still no slush. I could certainly run at speed but had to motor much slower to avoid getting soaked by the spray coming off the track. All in all I think the dog is a great mode of transportation, moreso on the ice than in the woods but amazingly powerful for towing a massive load on flat terrain even with a foot or more snow. As with any machines, slush will be the enemy so avoid it whenever possible and just stay out of the real deep stuff. I used the dog with a long rope to tow out an ATV that was severely stuck in deep slush but the dog was sitting on firm snow and ice away from the slushy section. It yanked the ATV out very easily with little effort.
This is my third season with the dog but the first one I ever had much seat time with it. Poor ice conditions the first and second seasons but this year we had enough ice to actually use it and still do for another week or so depending on how cold the nights stay. 12 inches of measured ice yesterday but with 50 degrees coming it will go quick and turn to crap pretty fast here.   

Offline WYOBEAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 10, 2021, 07:18 AM »
Great information guys!  I appreciate it very much.  I was set on getting a compact but in reality I think I will be happier with the standard.
 Thanks again!!!!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 10, 2021, 08:21 AM »
Great information guys!  I appreciate it very much.  I was set on getting a compact but in reality I think I will be happier with the standard.
 Thanks again!!!!

Just my opinion here! I would not buy a compact simply because they apparently DO NOT come with reverse. I would not buy a Standard without factory reverse. My Standard was not available here when I bought it with the reverse option, very few with reverse did reach NY back then. From all that I have read regarding the original reverse function on my model year I am glad I did NOT get it. Yes, I can update my unit with the updated and much improved reverse system but at a very high price and laborious DIY procedure. I understand the new reverse can also be installed on the compact models but it just makes more sense to buy the Standard reversing model from the get go. Truth be known, I have only ever NEEDED reverse just one time when I got routed unexpectedly into a number of small trees when the machine took it's own path. I did not hit any but I was surrounded and pretty deeply buried in snow and needed help getting the machine pulled around to drive out. Reverse would have gotten me out easily if I had it. Pulling the machine backwards out of my trailer is easy enough so in the field or on the ice/slush I suspect reverse will come in mighty handy if you do bury yourself and also if you store it in a shed where you have to back it out. I have learned it does roll backwards much easier when the engine is not running because there is no pressure on the clutch and belt. My dog lives in this trailer and drives into a tight spot very easily and pulls out just about as easily with the engine off.

Offline WYOBEAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 10, 2021, 08:31 AM »
Bad ass set up Gamalot!  I agree, reverse from the factory is the only way to go.  Thanks for the information.  It really does help!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.