Author Topic: Republic area Squaw lake questions.  (Read 1769 times)

Offline Trapper906

• IceShanty Rookie
Republic area Squaw lake questions.
« on: Jan 08, 2021, 08:09 PM »
Hey all took a break from here but I'm back. We are heading to squaw lake tomorrow morning. This is the first time I have ever fished it and jist wondering what the ice thickness is like and what fish live in the lake.

Any tips or tricks to ice some fish there. I tend to turn all back that I catch.

Offline blacknoise

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Republic area Squaw lake questions.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2021, 08:17 PM »
Squaw has a little of everything. They plant rainbows in there every year. There's some monster bluegill, pike and bass as well. I'm not sure on where to fish in the winter, but it's a fairly deep lake.

Offline Trapper906

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2021, 08:28 PM »
Yea I was surprised on how deep it is I know the navioncs app shows up to like 80 feet deep.

I would love to hook in to a rainbow or even some big gills.

I see that there is a couple fish shelters  that look like they are just off the boat landing does that sound about correct?

Offline hoopers1992

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2021, 09:22 PM »
I haven't fished it but I deer hunt out that way. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the DNR discontinued stocking rainbows there after 2018...it isn't on their list of designated trout lakes anymore. They did the same thing with Perch Lake right in the town of Republic.
"And, finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant – and not nearly so much fun."
-John Voelker, 'Testament of a Fisherman'

Offline blacknoise

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2021, 10:19 PM »
When i was a kid, we'd night fish off the boat launch and to the left. I'd imagine that's still where people catch them if there's still any left.

Offline Teggs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2021, 01:57 PM »
yes. it is no longer a trout lake and is no longer stocked with rainbows. that being said 2021 will be the last time you see a trout in the lake as they dont live very long or reproduce naturally. The lake has small perch, big bluegill, big rock asss, smallmouth and good size largemouth, and big pike. the boat launch is the shalow end of the lake and usually holds mostly northerns and rockbass. far end of the lake is usually better for bluegills and largemouth. The ice was 8 inches this last weekend and snowmobiles were used to get around.

Offline blacknoise

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2021, 04:57 PM »
yes. it is no longer a trout lake and is no longer stocked with rainbows. that being said 2021 will be the last time you see a trout in the lake as they dont live very long or reproduce naturally. The lake has small perch, big bluegill, big rock asss, smallmouth and good size largemouth, and big pike. the boat launch is the shalow end of the lake and usually holds mostly northerns and rockbass. far end of the lake is usually better for bluegills and largemouth. The ice was 8 inches this last weekend and snowmobiles were used to get around.

Thats a shame, because it's such a nice lake, i loved catching trout out there as a kid.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.