Canada > Ice Fishing Alberta CA

Spencer Lake Weekend

(1/1)

sco22:
I am headed up for our annual fishing trip to camp at Touchwood and fish Spencer (maybe Blackett & Kinnaird too).  For those of you that saw my pictures on the Fishing Alberta site, this is the annual gong show.  I will post some pictures and details when I get back.

Bushbunny, what is the travel on this ice like?  Lots of flood water?  Ice thickness?  Thanks.

Cheers.

bushbunny:
The overflow on Touchwood just before you hit the bush trail to Spencer is unreal.  Guys are getting hung up, stuck, and wrecking pickups trying to get through.  Even if you were to make it through in the early morning on the frost, you still have to get out.  I would suggest that you have either snowmobiles or quads to get around.  Spencer has some pretty nasty overflow too, especially just to the south of the access, where we have been fishing(and catching).  All in all, you are best to leave your pickup at the campsite at Touchwood and move around with snowmobile or quad.  Kinnaird & Blackett have been offering up some decent perch & pike with the odd walleye thrown in.  You can get around fairly good, but there is a fair bit of overflow on both of them as well.  You still do not need an extension for the auger, at least not where I have been.  It is however, getting close.  I usually carry one with me as a matter of course.  Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. ;D ;D

sco22:
Is it bad only at the entrance to the Spencer Lake trail?  I buddy of mine went across on Saturday of last week at about 5 at night and said it was okay.  Maybe he did not go all the way across Touchwood.  My concern was the trail across Touchwood, particularly over the 130 foot deep section. 

Nonetheless, we will be camping at Touchwood and going to Spencer and other lakes.  If you are in the area and see a group of 11 people, stop by and say hi!

Cheers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version