Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Fishing Transportation

Reliability of Arctic Cat, Can-Am and Polaris ATVs

<< < (2/5) > >>

Skipper:
The truth is, with all honesty, there is not a bad machine on the market right now.

My Polaris Sportsman 500 HO has been rock solid. It always starts and runs, no matter what. I had a little carburetor problem when I first got it, but most of the problem was the idiot dealership that would not just tear the carb down and fix it. It had a manufacturing defect in the carb that caused a valve to stick and flood the engine. It was an intermittent problem and the dealership would not fix it unless I brought it too them flooded. I finally brought it to them totally flooded, and they let it sit on their lot for 6 weeks before the brought it in to "fix" me for arguing with their mechanical expertise. I finally threatened to haul it to Roseau to get it fixed, and they got scared of the wrath of corporate Polaris and said they fixed it. Of course the engine was no longer flooded after 6 weeks of sitting, so it started right up and I drove it on my trailer. It did it again two weeks later, and it was then off of warranty. They told me to get bent. I brought it to a shade tree mechanic who fixed it for $50 and I have never had a problem with it since. And yes, what I told the dealership to fix was exactly what was wrong with it. I would recommend you go dealer shopping, and buy from the one who will give you the best deal and makes you feel comfortable. Don't buy from arrogant jerks just because they will give you a deal, you will pay for it in the end.

Everyone I know with a newer Arctic Cat or Polaris ATV is very happy with it.

jmayo:
I coul not agree more that with what skipper is saying I myself am a "shadetree small engine guy and have woked on a number of these machines no matter which one you get just remeber maintenance is your friend any of them will preform well in all conditions as long as you take care of it

John

--- Quote from: Skipper on Oct 25, 2009, 12:06 PM ---The truth is, with all honesty, there is not a bad machine on the market right now.

My Polaris Sportsman 500 HO has been rock solid. It always starts and runs, no matter what. I had a little carburetor problem when I first got it, but most of the problem was the idiot dealership that would not just tear the carb down and fix it. It had a manufacturing defect in the carb that caused a valve to stick and flood the engine. It was an intermittent problem and the dealership would not fix it unless I brought it too them flooded. I finally brought it to them totally flooded, and they let it sit on their lot for 6 weeks before the brought it in to "fix" me for arguing with their mechanical expertise. I finally threatened to haul it to Roseau to get it fixed, and they got scared of the wrath of corporate Polaris and said they fixed it. Of course the engine was no longer flooded after 6 weeks of sitting, so it started right up and I drove it on my trailer. It did it again two weeks later, and it was then off of warranty. They told me to get bent. I brought it to a shade tree mechanic who fixed it for $50 and I have never had a problem with it since. And yes, what I told the dealership to fix was exactly what was wrong with it. I would recommend you go dealer shopping, and buy from the one who will give you the best deal and makes you feel comfortable. Don't buy from arrogant jerks just because they will give you a deal, you will pay for it in the end.

Everyone I know with a newer Arctic Cat or Polaris ATV is very happy with it.

--- End quote ---

Skipper:
If anyone wants to know where NOT to buy an ATV in the central MN area, shoot me a PM. These guys are USDA prime horses butt.

USMarine2001:
I got a 2008, Polaris X2 500 HO, 2 trips to dearship for warranty stuff, nothing cause the machine to not perform correctly, it's got EFI so it has all sorts of sensors, relays, etc, I had check engine light on and it was over a air temp sonsor, they changed it out in 2 days(had to order part) it went back the second time cause the mech bent a prong which caused it not to get correct voltage, it was fixed in 5 mins, human error. So basiclly its been up there once, but the machine worked just fine.

ice dawg:

--- Quote from: Lostboy on Oct 25, 2009, 11:26 AM ---That's what I'm looking for...
I don't want a machine that will spend half its time in the shop... or has inherent problems. A dealer will always tell you their machines are the best... I want to know from the riders if they have problems or I should avoid a certain make.

--- End quote ---
I went to all the dealers in my area and got brochures for every brand of machine except Can Am which doesn't have a dealer here. I studied the information, went back to the dealers and asked questions that I had about the different machines. I liked the features of the brand that I bought and and there were three different models of the 400 cc machine. I bought the model that had the features that I wanted. One thing that I liked was that it had a wet clutch which runs in engine oil and the belt is always tight. I also wanted independent suspension, automatic tranny, locking front differential and a gauge pod which was an add on on some other brands. I have had great luck with this machine, but I think I would have been happy if I had bought one of the other brands also. All I'm saying is study their specifications and buy the one that YOU want.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version