Author Topic: Eskimo Keeper  (Read 549 times)

Offline KLIKBANGTHUD

• IceShanty Rookie
Eskimo Keeper
« on: Jan 17, 2024, 05:28 PM »
The wife and kids knocked it out of the park this year for Christmas! No ties, socks or underwear, but they did get me a set of Keeper Bibs and Parka. Finally was able to test them out over the last 2 days.

I am about 6' even and bounce a couple over & under 200 pounds. Typically I wear a set of merino underlayers,  a pair of jeans (38x32), and a wool long sleeve shirt. It is almost impossible for me to find a coat anymore that I can bend my arms and keep the cuffs on my wrists, or bend forward and keep my lower back covered. I went with the Keeper XL for both pieces. When wearing both, the fit is perfect for me, but the parka would probably be a little baggy in the body if I was just wearing it alone. The sleeve and back length is awesome for me (long), and the gusseting makes movement unrestricted. There are so many pockets on these things you could almost leave the sled at home.

I was finally able to hit the ice in it over the last 2 days. Day 1 was temps of -27f when we left the house. The winds were pretty calm but the suit definitely stopped those infrequent gusts. Insulation wise, you will want to upgrade if you are routinely out in those temps.  Day 2 was temps of -4 to 12f but the winds were howling at 25-30mph. I had a walk of almost a mile once I hit the ice , dragging my sled with gear and 40ish pound puppy, and had my small pop up shelter on my back. Again the Keepers kept the wind blocked, and the warmer temps were a better match for the insulation. Hole hopping was very comfortable, and I only sweat them up a little on the mile and a half drag back to the truck. So far, I am impressed with the Keepers. Will see how they hold up through the season.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Eskimo Keeper
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2024, 07:12 AM »
I recently purchased the Keeper bibs ...they may get their christening later today ...they seem fine construction wise .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2024, 07:10 AM »
Got to do a test run with the Keeper bibs . Fit is nice ..I like the oversized chest pocket for my Smart phone . The upper chest pockets are nice as well. I bought them for the warmer conditions at first and last ice . These bib will fit the bill nicely with 80G insulation .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline KLIKBANGTHUD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2024, 11:12 PM »
That chest pocket is is perfect for your phone! Keeping mine in there with the parka over the top worked out nicely. First time in a long time that my phone wasn't dead at the end of the day. Usuallly the cold weather sucks the battery to almost empty in a few hours.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.