Author Topic: Flx20?  (Read 2360 times)

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Flx20?
« on: Oct 30, 2022, 08:17 AM »
Hey there folks. I can almost hear the ice singing. Another month of good wader time til purgatory and not being on the water or walking on the water.
After many years retired the old-school vexilar slt..lol. Gonna upgrade. I kinda want the option to fish deeper water but who knows how often I will use it. The flat screen seems nice for viewing and the auto zoom on the flx20 seems great. Anyone rock the 20? Just wondering if it's worth the extra money?
Gonna get to tying some bugs. Hope to have a few hundred made before ice season.
Tight lines.
Chad
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Flx20?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 01, 2022, 11:39 PM »
Hey there folks. I can almost hear the ice singing. Another month of good wader time til purgatory and not being on the water or walking on the water.
After many years retired the old-school vexilar slt..lol. Gonna upgrade. I kinda want the option to fish deeper water but who knows how often I will use it. The flat screen seems nice for viewing and the auto zoom on the flx20 seems great. Anyone rock the 20? Just wondering if it's worth the extra money?
Gonna get to tying some bugs. Hope to have a few hundred made before ice season.
Tight lines.
Chad
Are you wanting to stay with the Vexilar brand only or are you open to other options? I had a "flasher" style sonar when I bought my first electronics but then switched to Humminbird Helix (which I also use in my boat). You can get a Humminbird Ice Helix 5 with shuttle and transducer for $371 online. Lot more options than a Vexilar. You can still use flasher mode on the Helix as well as graph mode. Once I started using the graph mode, I never went back to flasher mode. Just another option to consider.

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2022, 08:17 AM »
I use that unit , great target separation,performs flawlessly , for ice fishing would recommend it.

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2022, 08:23 AM »
Thanks. I will stay with vexilar for reliability and simplicity. I had a marcum for short period of time and had so many issues. I have a Garmin striker ice package and use that for my kid and partner..also on kayak. I like the vexilar target separation and I heard good things on the 20

Offline BH2

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont wish your life away!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2022, 08:29 AM »
I have a FLX20, been using it for 4 seasons now. Great unit been rock solid. Worth every penny IMO.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 02, 2022, 09:46 AM »
I have a FL8SLT and also a FLX28. The screen on the FLX series is going to be a huge difference between that SLT. When I bought my 28, the 20 wasn't available, or else that was the one I would have bought, 100%. The only real advantage, for me anyway, with the 28 is the auto range. Nice feature but not really necessary. Otherwise the FLX20 is more than enough, and comes with a transducer that works better for me where I fish, usually under 20ft.
The FL18 is pretty close in features, but again, that FLX screen, I think, is worth the extra $$. Especially with something like a Vexilar, I mean, you can run it forever, realistically 10+ seasons, you'll forget about spending the extra $$ after about season 3, I did

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #6 on: Nov 02, 2022, 10:00 AM »
After many years with the FL8slt, I went with the FL18. Same style of screen as the 8. I do use the magnifying plastic cover though. Easier to see and keeps the snow out of it.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline walleyeboater

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 02, 2022, 02:31 PM »
I just bought an FLX 12.
For what I do , I’m sure it will be more than enuff.

The main difference between mine and an 8, is anti glare screen.

Vexilar tech support talked me into the upgrade.

Just an FYI- you can buy reconditioned units directly from vexilar s website.
Save a few $$
I did.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Nov 02, 2022, 03:10 PM »
https://vexilar.com/comparison

basicly an FL18 bigger stronger brother

I would recomend the Ultra pack ...gets it higher off the ice ...better for your neck

the 12 Deg is a great all around transducer
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2022, 01:59 PM »
I have a 20 I got it when they first came out. I like the flat screen way better than my old fl8. If you are not interested in the zoom and the split screen a 12 would sure save you some money. It still has the flat screen. Does any one have any idea how much a used 20 is worth?
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2022, 07:46 PM »
I have a 20 I got it when they first came out. I like the flat screen way better than my old fl8. If you are not interested in the zoom and the split screen a 12 would sure save you some money. It still has the flat screen. Does any one have any idea how much a used 20 is worth?
My flx20 came in mail. Excited. I'm gonna use the zoom and spilt screen. I'm hoping to hit some deeper water this winter and scratch that laker itch

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2022, 03:20 PM »
Purchased the flx20 a couple years ago, has all the bells and whistles you need.  Awesome unit, you’ll love it.  I also have a marcum lx5 which is an outstanding unit performance wise but had quality issues with it.  Had to have motor replaced after 4 years of use due to the bottom bouncing and also had to replace my transducer.  It’s still working after the repair but if it ever fails me again I’ll be getting another vex.  Also I have the garmin striker 4 which isn’t too bad and my helix 9 from my boat that I convert over to a flasher during ice season.  The helix is nice with a lot of different options plus mapping which is huge for me but I still prefer an old school flasher over the humminbird.  For me I can still see the slightest delay in the digital units compared to a flasher.  I usually drag the helix and a flasher out with me.  Use the helix for mapping and use the flasher to fish.

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 20, 2022, 09:14 AM »
Chad,
Do you sell those bugs or do you lose a lot?? ;D ;D
I've been tying a few myself! ::)
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 20, 2022, 12:47 PM »
Chad,
Do you sell those bugs or do you lose a lot?? ;D ;D
I've been tying a few myself! ::)
Teach

I don't really sell much but do make handfuls for buddies. It's fun to see others get fish on your stuff.
I tend to misplace a jig box every season or so ..last one I dropped had like a 100 jigs in it 🥵

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 20, 2022, 01:12 PM »
Totally got off topic here.  Thought this thread was about the flx20.  ;D

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 20, 2022, 02:48 PM »
Anyone rock the 20? Just wondering if it's worth the extra money?   Yes and yes!

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 21, 2022, 07:40 PM »
Totally got off topic here.  Thought this thread was about the flx20.  ;D
Nobody ever gets off topic on this site 😂.
Gonna have to get my new toy out in kayak to play around with it before we get ice

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 21, 2022, 07:56 PM »
Nobody ever gets off topic on this site 😂.
Gonna have to get my new toy out in kayak to play around with it before we get ice
Lol, just making a simple statement here.  Don’t want to start a forum war. ;)  Take it easy.

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 21, 2022, 08:07 PM »
All in fun my friend. Tight lines and hopefully we will all be on the ice before we know it

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 21, 2022, 09:16 PM »
Same here sir, hoping to see some hardwater soon.  Tight lines and wishing you the best!  Let’s keep our fingers crossed for a cold blast.

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 22, 2022, 08:15 AM »
Whatever! Cheez! Maybe we need a topic cop??
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.