Author Topic: Preparation underway  (Read 2349 times)

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Preparation underway
« on: Oct 07, 2018, 10:48 AM »
Got the rig out and started preseasoning it. Got the bug very bad now!

Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Preparation underway
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2018, 07:02 AM »
 :thumbsup: Nice looking setup!  I am starting to evaluate the gear and replacing my stores.  I just ordered backup auger blades (10" Ion), I wanted to get them last year however they were not available after mid season.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 08, 2018, 07:17 AM »
:thumbsup: Nice looking setup!  I am starting to evaluate the gear and replacing my stores.  I just ordered backup auger blades (10" Ion), I wanted to get them last year however they were not available after mid season.

Yeah, that's good thinking, there is some stuff you can't get past January, good idea to try and get those items early.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2018, 08:37 AM »
Nice!

I am in the market for a snow machine but have zero knowledge about them. found some nice machines on craigslist but scared to pull the trigger.
Just add water.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 08, 2018, 10:34 AM »
Nice!

I am in the market for a snow machine but have zero knowledge about them. found some nice machines on craigslist but scared to pull the trigger.

You can buy my other machine if you want! 2013 Ski Doo 800 E-tec with about 8k miles on it. I'm selling it to buy a '19.

Offline whitewing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 08, 2018, 01:46 PM »
Doc you may want to think about some type of cover or pad on the end of that k-drill. If that bungee breaks you may get a big surprise (if the drill comes forward). Looks like you could be the tip of the spear. 

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 08, 2018, 02:57 PM »
Safety third!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 09, 2018, 11:42 AM »
Nice...
I just serviced my wheeler and went through the bearings on the trailer. ..gave the chassis a fresh coat of under coating. .now just waiting on the ice.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 09, 2018, 12:46 PM »
Nice...
I just serviced my wheeler and went through the bearings on the trailer. ..gave the chassis a fresh coat of under coating. .now just waiting on the ice.
Figured you'd be on top of this, Joe.  ;)
Curious, what you undercoat your chassis with?
Thanks in advance.

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 09, 2018, 12:50 PM »
I hit mine with fluid film in the spring and fall.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 10, 2018, 01:45 PM »
Thanks in advance.
[/quote
Spray under coat..works like a dream...I spray the inside of the trailer with truck bed liner...
Boats coming home tonight. ..winterizing this weekend.
Time to start trapping bait.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 10, 2018, 07:09 PM »
Thanks in advance.
[/quote
Spray under coat..works like a dream...I spray the inside of the trailer with truck bed liner...
Boats coming home tonight. ..winterizing this weekend.
Time to start trapping bait.
Thanks Nosaj and Roccus. I was thinking fluid film mixed with some light weight bar oil. Spray undercoat would be much easier and not as messy.  :) Wondered if you pulled your boat yet, Joe. Hope you had a good season.
I trapped some shiners a few weeks ago. I'll start again as soon as the beneficial bacteria is doing it's job.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 11, 2018, 09:57 AM »
After very little open water fishing this year I am really looking forward to the ice season this year. Just picked up a sled to tow the Bayrunner when conditions are a no go for the quad. Will fill the bait tank this weekend and toss in a few shiners and crawdads to get the tank stable and healthy for when the temps get low enough to start trapping. Still getting out here and there on the boat (fall smallies have been great this year)  so the ice gear is still on mothballs but it wont be long before summer stuff and ice stuff swaps locations. After some of the heat waves we saw this summer I'm definitely ready for a good ol New England winter...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 12, 2018, 10:29 AM »
I hit mine with fluid film in the spring and fall.

When I had my Toyota Tacoma I had it Fluid Filmed. Stuff is awesome but smells yucky

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 12, 2018, 06:30 PM »
When I had my Toyota Tacoma I had it Fluid Filmed. Stuff is awesome but smells yucky

Smelling yucky isn't always a bad thing if it works.

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 12, 2018, 07:46 PM »
I love your enthusiasm fella's!! I would caution getting it out and organized too early though. There should be a warning label on your gear that says note to self, don't touch me until 11/1. When I pull out my gear in October I literally drive myself bonkers. I rig every rod in my arsenal and change my mind and switch it out. I epoxy my jigging raps twice. I organize and reorganize my baits. And worst of all I jig my rods at absolutely nothing but my imagination, pulling on the line to load the rod. Entranced.  Be careful fellas pulling your gear out to early can drive a man crazy!

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 12, 2018, 09:13 PM »
Bass Pro has all the ice gear out, augers and all. I was surprised to see some Ifish Pro's too.
Tight Lines!

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 13, 2018, 01:53 AM »
Stuff is awesome but smells yucky

Smelling yucky isn't always a bad thing if it works.

True enough, Denny.  Smell follows function !!!   ;)
I'm not a fan of the smell either. But, it's made from lanolin (sheep grease) and works.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #18 on: Oct 15, 2018, 11:46 AM »
You can buy my other machine if you want! 2013 Ski Doo 800 E-tec with about 8k miles on it. I'm selling it to buy a '19.
(Image removed from quote.)

PM me some details and $$. 
Just add water.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 17, 2018, 12:32 PM »
PM me some details and $$. 

PM Sent.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #20 on: Oct 21, 2018, 06:35 AM »
Thanks Nosaj and Roccus. I was thinking fluid film mixed with some light weight bar oil. Spray undercoat would be much easier and not as messy.  :) Wondered if you pulled your boat yet, Joe. Hope you had a good season.
I trapped some shiners a few weeks ago. I'll start again as soon as the beneficial bacteria is doing it's job.

CD
Good to see your out trapping... and that everyone here is getting the itch to hit the ice it’s encouraging ....
Nice set up Doc  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: can’t go wrong there !!
I haven’t even started to pull my gear out...I’ll be plugging in my Vexilar, and waiting for rifle season in Maine to start
Till then guys if any of you are hunting good luck 👍🏻
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Oct 21, 2018, 05:06 PM »
CD
Good to see your out trapping... and that everyone here is getting the itch to hit the ice it’s encouraging ....
Nice set up Doc  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: can’t go wrong there !!
I haven’t even started to pull my gear out...I’ll be plugging in my Vexilar, and waiting for rifle season in Maine to start
Till then guys if any of you are hunting good luck 👍🏻
Thanks, PG.
Plenty of time before solid ice, I expect.
Good luck in the hunting Dept.
I'll be in touch.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Oct 21, 2018, 05:51 PM »
Good luck with the baitfish Richard.  Was out scouting a new lake today.
Salmonemia

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #23 on: Oct 21, 2018, 09:26 PM »
Glad to see everyone getting rigged up and excited for another season!
Every year I say Im going to get things for ice fishing ready earlier, but hunting season RULES my life this time of year... ;D Its my obsession worse than ice fishing.
So it always seems last minute getting things ready in December. Thanks guys...maybe looking at these early posts will get my butt in gear earlier.
I just need another one in the freezer, then full attention can go to fishing!
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Oct 22, 2018, 07:05 PM »
Good luck with the baitfish Richard.  Was out scouting a new lake today.
Hi Wayne.
We'll have to touch base. Curious to hear how you guys made out?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.