New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: WD-40 Anybody ever hear of this?  (Read 5089 times)

Offline mmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "What do you do with all the ice you catch?"
Re: WD-40 Anybody ever hear of this?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 07, 2007, 09:32 PM »
I'm not calling you a hypocrite, I just do not see the difference in riding a snowmobile,or a boat all day long on/in the water in the adks and someone putting a squirt of wd 40 on a couple jigs, I read the comment of the possibilty of 10,000 fisherman spraying their lures with the stuff, Well what about the probably 50,000 plus motor boats that run on the lakes all summer long in the the hundreds of adks lakes ? You could look at that as intentionly and repeatdly putting chemicals in our water. Boats are a tool that can increase your chances of catching fish, correct ? If wd-40 can improve your chances of catching fish then the point is moot. Are you gonna tell fisherman on a boat to get off the lake, no because that would end up going over like a fart in church.

Dynamite will also increase you chances of catching fish.  Dumping tires for structure will help you increase your catch of fish.

Just because it could help you catch fish doesn't mean it is a good idea.  There is already enough garbage and pollutants in our lakes, why add more?  And as to your argument about boat motors causing pollution, you are right.  And in Michigan, the state makes some lakes non-motor boating only.

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Feb 08, 2007, 05:38 AM »
I don't use it for fishing unless it is on a reel or something like that.  But, I think there are much bigger worries than spraying a little WD-40 on your bait.  As was stated above, cars, trucks, atvs, etc, etc, etc. add WAY more pollution to our waters than a little shot of WD-40!  And what about the state's policy of salting the roadways by the ton?  I've seen the state trucks out salting the highways when it was 40degrees out!  I gotta believe that can't be good for our lakes and waters.  No one seems too upset about that!  And unless you are willing to give up all the amenities , like your power auger, truck, snowmobile and on and on and on, I would not be too worried about a little shot of WD-40.  Take a look at the big picture!  Wait till spring gets here and look at all the puddles on the roadways and gas stations.  See all those rainbow effects?  That is going into our waters and is a MUCH bigger problem!
Mike

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #32 on: Feb 08, 2007, 06:00 AM »
The old timers around here used to use wd-40 all the time. Serves two purposes, attracts fish and that oily sheen in the hole makes it a little bit harder to freeze up when fishing all night.
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #33 on: Feb 08, 2007, 06:52 AM »
Well you could dump WD-40 down your well to keep that from freezing in the winter. Let me know how the water tastes afterwords.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Feb 08, 2007, 07:10 AM »
I agree that the world is an imperfect place. I concure that things humans do everday impact our planet. Some more so than others.  My point is why add more? We will never stop the cars, boats, plows etc. but we can make small impacts where we can. For instance using WD-40 as intended and not spraying it into our lakes.

Along the lines of what Roy just posted why not spray a little WD-40 on your Venison Steaks. cant hurt right? Why not just toss our garbage in the lake too? Its only a little bit if garbage it cant hurt? Why not dump our used motor oil down the sink drain.. its just one person it cant hurt right?
One person makes only a slight impact but when lots of morons follow it becomes a serious issue!

You all can argue till the cows come home, and I will still say you are an ignorant polluter if you put WD40 in a lake.

Offline aquaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • This is what we do and when we do it.
« Reply #35 on: Feb 08, 2007, 07:19 AM »
The old timers around here used to use wd-40 all the time. Serves two purposes, attracts fish and that oily sheen in the hole makes it a little bit harder to freeze up when fishing all night.
[/quot  years ago fishing the dunkirk discharge in feb. i was side by side with an "old timer" who was slaughtering them.Big rainbows.out fishing me three to one identical three ways identical jointed rapalas no rod action. let em sit in the current till a bow smacked it.Inbetween fish hed sneak into the box and spray W-d on. Caught him after fish #10.
I remember  EVERY DAY  I Hunted or Fished, .......The other days I...uh....umm.....must a did somethin, else.

Offline Budbucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "NIP"?? OHH YEA!
« Reply #36 on: Feb 08, 2007, 08:08 AM »
they changed the formula some years ago this new stuff does`nt work but if you can find an old can your in business ;D
"MONGO'S"

Offline BlindSquirrel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 08, 2007, 03:21 PM »
Sorry, seemed like pot stirring to me. ;)

Anyhoo, back to the topic at hand.  For as much as I know using a little WD on lures will never make any difference in the scheme of things.  I can’t find any good reason to do it.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.

Offline fiddlehead322

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Night time is the right time!
« Reply #38 on: Feb 08, 2007, 03:25 PM »
I've heard of lobster fisherman spraying it on the bricks in their traps.  FH :sick:
Looking forward to some "crappie" nights!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.