New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: 2 drowned  (Read 3415 times)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: 2 drowned
« Reply #30 on: Feb 03, 2016, 05:33 AM »
If an adult wants to go on thin ice and risk his life that is his business. For a parent to endanger the life of a minor child that has no say in the matter, well that just makes me so angry.  >:(

interesting statement ,and at face value I would agree , but in reality I am sure this father had no idea he was endangering his son , how many father son teams  have we had on the ice this year ,how many pictures of kids have we all praised? and without doubt this is the worse year I have ever seen for ice. right in the ice fishing new York section ,we had someone go threw the ice and what happens????  people defend the thickness of the ice and scream it was the fishermans fault he was to close to a pressure crack. truth is it's a crazy year  the ice sucks  it's dangerous and going out is dangerous ......I preach a lot ...I seen people drown and couldn't help them .I don't judge ,I tell people take a spud ice picks , floatation I also remind all you experts that spud gets you out there it's true but it's a bad feeling when that ice rots while your out and you can't find a safe way back .....I'm not angry someone  took a child out fishing ,i'm angry that they had no idea they were in danger .....use your heads and don't be scared to stand up and say ,that's stupid don't do that

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 03, 2016, 05:48 AM »
I can't imagine the sadness. Be careful out there folks.
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #32 on: Feb 03, 2016, 05:54 AM »
Very sad story....be safe out there people

Offline GenesCamp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Feb 03, 2016, 08:19 AM »
Very sad.  I hope the OP was referring to the Michigan incident and not a separate additional incident.  I would have loved to get my young kids out ice fishing this year, but I knew back in December this wasn't going to be the year for it.

Offline burtbomberz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 03, 2016, 11:40 AM »
I've only got wet once and it was neg 20 degress and I was fishing a small lake in the Adirondacks that was close to two foot thick...snow caused ice to crack, which in turn was hidden by all the snow...I only put one leg through, but it could have easily been worse...I always where a float suit and recently bought suits for my 6 and 10 year old daughters...can never be too safe...sad situation for those two and their family

Offline dullhook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Feb 03, 2016, 08:37 PM »
family fun gone bad......my prayers to all :'(

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 04, 2016, 08:35 AM »
Tragic story, and only 10' from shore.

In all my years ice fishing, this has to be one of the worst years I've seen. So many people falling in, many dying.
The one thing I always keep in mind is the ice that I walked out on in the morning may not be the same ice when walking out in the afternoon.

Offline GenesCamp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Feb 04, 2016, 08:50 AM »
Tragic story, and only 10' from shore.

In all my years ice fishing, this has to be one of the worst years I've seen. So many people falling in, many dying.
The one thing I always keep in mind is the ice that I walked out on in the morning may not be the same ice when walking out in the afternoon.

Very true.  And even if there is safe ice below, enough water can cover the top to make it dangerous.  I remember a few years back fishing all day in rainy crappy conditions on plenty of ice, but the walk back the water over the ice was up to my knees.  Not so dangerous for me, but would be for young children. 

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #38 on: Feb 06, 2016, 06:03 PM »
Very sad to hear
Master Laker taker.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #39 on: Feb 06, 2016, 06:07 PM »
You don't take kids on the ice we have like this, I know everyone wants to start them early, but once they are gone there is nothing you can do!!  Use common sense, you can take kids another day, or year!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.