New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: thinking of an electric filet knife  (Read 1877 times)

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: thinking of an electric filet knife
« Reply #30 on: Dec 14, 2011, 09:27 AM »
Those old GE's were great! Keep an eye out for them at garage sales...
I know I posted this before... but Tank rigged his electric knife to run off a sewing machine pedal. It is slicker than frozen snot!
A few reasons - Those knifes were not designed to turn on an off thousands upon thousands of times like a pedal is. Eventually the triggers burn out.
But the main reason was hand cramp and fatigue from holding the trigger. Now you just rest your foot on the pedal and it controlls the blades...  @) @)
If anybody has access to a pedal and feels crafty, it is quite nice...

I agree on GE also and yes the triggers do burn out. I was lucky enough to work with a kid whose father worked at GE on those knives/switches so I have a supply of them (now where did I put them?). Now to catch some fish through the ice to use them on!!   Cya....

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Dec 14, 2011, 10:06 AM »
Black and Decker, $8 at Wal-Mart.
Friends don't let Friends use Tip-Ups

Offline fishing mechanic

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Dec 14, 2011, 10:50 AM »
I think that I like them all!!!!! One of these days I will learn how to filet a fish though.

Offline jiggingshad11

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #33 on: Dec 14, 2011, 10:59 AM »
I agree, go with the $10.00 one from Wal-mart or K-mart, just make sure the trigger or on/off is on the under side.  The ones with it on top you have to hold it on with your thumb and it's not handy.  Always used the Mister Twister but the on/off switch goes bad real quick.  Get 2 so you have one for backup or when you have a limit of perch.  They all get hot after awhile.  good luck 

Offline Trakndwg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 14, 2011, 05:14 PM »
Mine is an American Angler Ultra  ???. I think it is an inexpensive Wal-Mart knife. It has cleaned hundreds, maybe thousands of fish without a problem. I've asked Santa for one of the new cordless Berkley Knives with the LIon battery. I could not bring myself to spring $100.00 for it but I had no problem askig Santa  ;D
TRAKNDWG; women love him, fish fear him.

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Dec 16, 2011, 07:41 AM »
Mine is an American Angler Ultra  ???. I think it is an inexpensive Wal-Mart knife. It has cleaned hundreds, maybe thousands of fish without a problem. I've asked Santa for one of the new cordless Berkley Knives with the LIon battery. I could not bring myself to spring $100.00 for it but I had no problem askig Santa  ;D.
I've seen Santa cleaning fish at your place.............. ;D

Offline flukeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 16, 2011, 08:52 AM »
I have the American Angler 31600 - 110 volts. I got it before I moved out here to the lake so we are talking over 10 years now. I think that thing will cut through cinder blocks. I used my buddies Mister Twister a couple of weeks ago and it does not even compare to the power of mine. Plus I like the blades on mine much better as well.

I think they will all work, all of them will have some lemons, some will have more power, some will feel better on your hands when cleaning a ton of fish. I would not recommend the rechargeable variety if it is going to be your only one. Many friends have them, and none of them use them anymore!

Offline Neversink Jimmy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish 'Till Ya' Puke...
« Reply #37 on: Dec 16, 2011, 01:18 PM »
As mentioned, American Angler is inexpensive but hold up just fine (at least mine has) for the past four years, even being used a few times a week.  Living on a lake means the knife gets a workout  ;D
"Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right" 

Offline wnybassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Double Stuff Oreos! . . . . . . Got Cookies?
« Reply #38 on: Dec 16, 2011, 06:54 PM »
I bought a Rapala 110v electric knife about 8 or 10 years ago.  Must have been before the safety switch generation.  Still going strong and only on the second set of blades.   The cord on it is good and long.  I can plug it in at home and it would probably reach to the lake   :whistle:   ;D

Couldn't imagine cleaning fish without an electric anymore.
"'I ain't broke, but brother, I'm badly bent"- Stiff Dead Cat

MySpace

Offline fishing mechanic

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 17, 2011, 06:36 PM »
I bought a Rapala 110v electric knife about 8 or 10 years ago.  Must have been before the safety switch generation.  Still going strong and only on the second set of blades.   The cord on it is good and long.  I can plug it in at home and it would probably reach to the lake   :whistle:   ;D

Couldn't imagine cleaning fish without an electric anymore.

I ground the safety "detent" down on mine, it works like an older one now. Those things get in the way when ya got a limit of pans and perch to rip through, slow ya down alot.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.