New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: thinking of an electric filet knife  (Read 1876 times)

Offline hardwaterB

• Team IceShanty Regular
thinking of an electric filet knife
« on: Nov 21, 2011, 06:47 PM »
I want to get an electric filet knife,is there any one better than another? ???

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: thinking of an electric filet knife
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2011, 08:18 PM »
I was wondering the same thing.

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2011, 08:26 PM »
get a mister twister. Ive used mine for 5 plus years. Hasnt burned out. Best 20 somethin dollars you can spend
It'll eat.

Offline Lunch_Box

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • S.L.A.M. ICE TEAM
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2011, 10:49 PM »
Find an older mister twister, the new ones are garbage.  Rapala makes a couple have no experience with them but they look pretty nice.

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2011, 07:34 AM »
I have a 110 volt Rapala. I love it I've had it 10 years or so and it's still going strong.

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2011, 07:44 AM »
I have the Berkley 12 V with adapter for indoor use. I love it.  The secret is to let the knife do the work and not push it or you'll shred the fish.  I cut the sides off and skin with the electric and then lift the ribs out with a reg. filet knife.

Offline MAJOBER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Live Free & Die Hard
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2011, 09:22 AM »
i have a rapala.... AWESOME!!!!... cuts time way in half..... i think there all about the same.... no matter what its better then a the old school way when ya got a limit!!!!!
" There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and dark of night, And if you go no one may follow, That path is for your steps alone.  Ripple in still water,When there is no pebble tossed,Nor wind to blow.  You who choose to lead must follow, But if you fall you fall alone, If you stand then who's to guide you? If I knew the way then I would take you home."  Robert Hunter & Jerry Garcia

Offline Buckeye John

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2011, 09:29 AM »
Hands down on the Mister Twister, I hate to think how many fish that thing has cleaned !!!!

Offline walleyemagic1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2011, 09:40 AM »
The best one I ever owned was the one my mom gave me that carved the Thanksgiving day turkey for years. It finally died and I don't know what brand it was .....Mister twister knife is  good. Rapala Knife seems to have a slower motor,burnt it up in one year.The motor always seemed to struggle.  I like the Rapala blades better so I modified the blades and now I can use them in the twister knife so all is not lost.   I really abuse the knifes on buckets of fish and the mister twister won the race. I burnt the Rapala knife out on 5 gallon bucket full of Whitebass  The twister knife has lasted for a few seasons now.  Which ever one you choose ,make sure you like how it feels in your hands . If its uncomfortable  you won't use it and usually you'll do a bad job on the filet .

Offline jekross42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2011, 09:41 AM »
ive got a rapala 110 v too, 2 yrs now taking care of probably thousands of perch and crappies and a few bass would buy another for 45 bucks and the amount of fish its filleted im pretty happy. and like others have said let the knife do the work and youll have no probs.

Offline icedauber

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2011, 01:06 PM »
Going on 30 yrs on my Mister Twister.   ;D ;D
Flag Up!!!

Offline sluggo / ny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 22, 2011, 02:17 PM »
For perch or small walleyes.. any of them work well and last. For Lake Erie walleyes.. American Angler is the only one we've found that holds up. I've gone through lots of different brands over the years! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #12 on: Nov 22, 2011, 02:36 PM »
I like MISTER TWISTER use mine for over 5 years
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 22, 2011, 02:38 PM »
I have nothing to compare it to as it is the only knife I've used, but the Mr Twister has done fine by me... Used it again last night on a few crappie  ;D

Offline wolfpak3770

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spike Em Joey!!!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 22, 2011, 03:24 PM »
ive got a rapala 110 v too, 2 yrs now taking care of probably thousands of perch and crappies and a few bass would buy another for 45 bucks and the amount of fish its filleted im pretty happy. and like others have said let the knife do the work and youll have no probs.
Ditto
👮👮👮

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Nov 22, 2011, 04:45 PM »
I'm on my 10th year with my Hamilton Beach from Target.....$19.95. Don't waste your money on a fishing name. My Partner cleans 100 fish every 2 days with the same knife. It just works.
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Nov 22, 2011, 05:27 PM »
i have a Black and Decker bought a spare for 10.00 bucks the old 1 is about 10 years old and still doing the job and i due clean a few eyes and perch  ;)

luv2fish2

« Reply #17 on: Nov 22, 2011, 06:59 PM »
i bought an old electric carving knife hamilton beach i think from the salvation army store  used works  going on 8 years best $4.00 i ever spent  ;D ;)

Fishmon

« Reply #18 on: Nov 22, 2011, 07:44 PM »
My rappala electric is 6 years old and still going strong despite some serious abuse on perch, crappies, walleyes, and lake trout which are particularly tough on the equipment.  Got some new blades last year and it works as well as the day I got it.  Would never go back to my old fillet knife.

Offline TRP-1007

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Nov 27, 2011, 07:58 PM »
Hamilton Beach, I've cleaned 1000's of perch with the thing and it's still going strong.

Offline codewordcs1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 27, 2011, 08:05 PM »
I like my American Angler and it has done me well over the last 4 years. My dad has a mister twister and has had it for I don't know how long but it's probably close to me in age (32) if mine ever takes a dump I'll get a mister twister. Had a few rapalas and never cared much for them due to lack of power. Good luck

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #21 on: Nov 28, 2011, 07:04 AM »
I'm on my 10th year with my Hamilton Beach from Target.....$19.95. Don't waste your money on a fishing name. My Partner cleans 100 fish every 2 days with the same knife. It just works.
RG
x2
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline salmonella

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Nov 28, 2011, 10:42 AM »
Rapalla is slow on Lake Erie walleye and will burn out. Yes on the Mister Twister

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 28, 2011, 01:50 PM »
My only advice on this is DO NOT by a rechargeable one! Got one for christmas a few years ago. Worked great as long as the batteries lasted, which wasn't very long, and they aren't cheap to buy new ones, so it is now a paperweight!!!
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline AtlBraves12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 28, 2011, 02:13 PM »
Hands down on the Mister Twister, I hate to think how many fish that thing has cleaned !!!!

+1

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #25 on: Nov 28, 2011, 05:01 PM »
have had and used the Rapala now for almost 5 years. cleand thousands of fish with it and still going strong. Blades are easy to find also ;)
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 14, 2011, 03:19 AM »
RG
I always used old GE electric knives, gave my last one to a buddy and it's still going strong.  Tried a Rapala but the trigger safety is a pia till you remove it ::) and the handle gets pretty hot if you're doing a bunch of fish.  Picked up a vintage GE knife still in the box at a yard sale this fall.  I like the old ones but like RG said, you can get them new for half the cost of a fishing brand in any house wares at a big box.  I also find the fishing brand knives are more like saws.  I get better fillets from a kitchen brand knife.

Offline pondskipper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • AT THE SOUND OF MY NAME, FISH TREMBLE!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 14, 2011, 04:34 AM »
I have a proctor silex from the p&c its now tops. I paid 15.00 it works great. I wouldnt go and spend 50.00 on one. I would check you grocery store first. I think target might even have them.

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 14, 2011, 06:20 AM »
I have a proctor silex from the p&c its now tops. I paid 15.00 it works great. I wouldnt go and spend 50.00 on one. I would check you grocery store first. I think target might even have them.
X2  or Wally World.  I asked this same question last yr, I didn't go buy one.  I took the one out of the kitchen.  It's now permanently with my gear, which wasn't a problem until Turkey-day this year when Mrs. Bcons went looking for it.  :whistle: :whistle: :unsure: :unsure:

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 14, 2011, 07:18 AM »
I always used old GE electric knives, gave my last one to a buddy and it's still going strong.  Tried a Rapala but the trigger safety is a pia till you remove it ::) and the handle gets pretty hot if you're doing a bunch of fish.  Picked up a vintage GE knife still in the box at a yard sale this fall.  I like the old ones but like RG said, you can get them new for half the cost of a fishing brand in any house wares at a big box.  I also find the fishing brand knives are more like saws.  I get better fillets from a kitchen brand knife.

Those old GE's were great! Keep an eye out for them at garage sales...
I know I posted this before... but Tank rigged his electric knife to run off a sewing machine pedal. It is slicker than frozen snot!
A few reasons - Those knifes were not designed to turn on an off thousands upon thousands of times like a pedal is. Eventually the triggers burn out.
But the main reason was hand cramp and fatigue from holding the trigger. Now you just rest your foot on the pedal and it controlls the blades...  @) @)
If anybody has access to a pedal and feels crafty, it is quite nice...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.