New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Franklin Falls Pond  (Read 5672 times)

Offline Burning Beard

• IceShanty Rookie
Franklin Falls Pond
« on: Feb 16, 2010, 10:33 AM »
I am a NJ resident and I have a camp on Franklin Falls Pond in Bloomingdale, Franklin County.  This camp has been in my family for three generations now.  Although it is a great secluded get away the fishing has not been all that great and most specifically in the winter.  Not more than a handful of fish have been caught during a handful of trips.  I am scheduled to be there this weekend and I ask if anyone first knows the ice condition as far as presence and depth of snow and thickness of ice and also any fishing tips for this particular place.  Any and all help is greatly appeciated!

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Franklin Falls Pond
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2010, 10:44 AM »
I am a NJ resident and I have a camp on Franklin Falls Pond in Bloomingdale, Franklin County.  This camp has been in my family for three generations now.  Although it is a great secluded get away the fishing has not been all that great and most specifically in the winter.  Not more than a handful of fish have been caught during a handful of trips.  I am scheduled to be there this weekend and I ask if anyone first knows the ice condition as far as presence and depth of snow and thickness of ice and also any fishing tips for this particular place.  Any and all help is greatly appeciated!

Plenty of Ice...  A tip I can give you is Yeah fish somewhere else.  We didn't get a single fish the other day .  We fished from 1pm until 7:30pm.   Had 15 tip ups out and 3 of us jigging 2 poles each and like I said not a single fish!!!

70 mile trip 1 way to catch nothing!

Offline Burning Beard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2010, 11:45 AM »
What was the snow cover on the ice and where abouts were you fishing so I know not to try that spot.  :P

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2010, 12:59 PM »
What was the snow cover on the ice and where abouts were you fishing so I know not to try that spot.  :P

Snow cover was not to bad.  We have fished up from the boat launch towards the Shanty that is out there and we have fished near the Island past where the Shanty is towards the Dam....  I am wondering if going up closer to where the river comes into the flow-age if that would be more productive!

Offline Burning Beard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2010, 04:05 PM »
Ok I'll be sure not to fish down there.  Thanks for the info.

Anyone else?

Offline adkwiley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2010, 05:16 PM »
Fishing is supposed to be better closer to the river, but the ice is also thinner and spotty over that way too due to the strong current so be careful.  Ive tried  fishing the falls and usually spend my time else wheres. Places that are more productive and also more so  because i like to eat my catches and your not supposed to eat any fish out of Franklin falls sue to the high mercury levels.  then again I'm pretty sure I'm a walking thermometer by now...

Offline Laker Taker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2010, 08:17 PM »
I few years ago my family and I had a decent trip there.  We fished the channel (20ish feet) between a point and a few small islands.  It was maybe half a mile downstream from the access.  We caught 3-4 little walleyes and 5ish pike, one was around ten pounds, the rest small.  Perch action was slow though.  Almost all fish were caught in the morning too.

Offline Burning Beard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2010, 08:23 AM »
Great info guys thanks!  We actually fished that area last year and caught one cigar sized pike all day.  At the end of the day a local told us we were about 50 yds from the channel and decent fish.  This year we will have to move and spread out some more.

Question though, when fishing a 20' + channel for pike is it best to fish the bottom of it or top?  Actually what is the best depth anywhere for pike top or bottom?

Offline Burning Beard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2010, 01:03 PM »
Ok so we are all packed for the trip north and leaving 3 am.  Anyone know the snow depth on the lake or other lakes in Franklin County like Colby or Saranac?

Offline adkwiley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2010, 01:51 PM »
Ok so we are all packed for the trip north and leaving 3 am.  Anyone know the snow depth on the lake or other lakes in Franklin County like Colby or Saranac?

Not much, few inches maybe, its  been pretty slow winter here, not much snow out there, Well as much as ususal.

Offline Laker Taker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2010, 07:39 PM »
I would fish close to the bottom.  Maybe suspend one or two if you are feeling creative but most fish will orient to the bottom.  Good luck.  And you better tell us how you do!!

Offline Burning Beard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2011, 03:01 PM »
It's that time again!  My brother is heading up to camp this weekend and I am going two weeks after that.

Any help with ice thickness, snow depth, and of course fishing tips for this area would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

PS: Last year we had two pike in two two days of fishing.  We mainly camped in the large cove to the left of the two smaller islands when looking from the street.  Wind was too brutal to fish in the open.  It felt 15 degrees warmer tucked in the cove out of the wind.  Regardless we were happy and lucky to ge the two fish.  Any and ALL help with fishing tips again is much appreciated!

Offline Burning Beard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2011, 08:25 AM »
I understand that this place isn't a popular fishing hole so even conditions of neighboring lakes and ponds in Franklin County would be helpful.  We'd like to get an idea of what we are in for prior to taking the 6 hour drive north.  Thanks!

Offline Cramshackle

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Simplicity and Sanity"
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2011, 08:41 AM »
I was out there last tuesday. There was around 12" of snow on the ice. Ice was running around 13", probably more now. We pulled out 4 Smaller pike in about 5 hours, they were all at the edge of the channel. We are gonna try a different area of the channel this coming week.

Offline Burning Beard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2011, 08:51 AM »
THANKS Cram!  Where abouts on the channel were you and when do you expect to be back?  Also is anyone driving vehicles onto the ice yet?

Offline Cramshackle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2011, 01:18 PM »
We had a late start so we went straight out from the boat launch and fished the northern point of the island there. Next week we are gonna head farther north. Other than snowmobiles and 4wheelers I've never seen anybody driving on Franklin Falls. We are gonna be back on monday.

Offline Burning Beard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2011, 08:21 AM »
Great info Clam.  Thanks.  My brother and his crew will be out of there by the time you arrive Monday.  Otherwise I'd have them say a hello.  I'll also advise them to fish the channel.  More than likely it'll be about midway by the smaller islands.  I'll give updates as to how their trip went.

As far as vehicles go, we do see cars or trucks on the ice ont he weekends when we have gone the past few years.  We'll have a sled so we'll not risk the trucks but I was just curious.

If anyone else has information regarding this area or tips I'd like to hear those as well.  Thanks!

Offline Burning Beard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 01, 2011, 10:47 AM »
So my brother's trip was a bust.  Three guys fished two days without a single fish.  They fished both sides of the small islands from shore to island with jigs and live bait.  The conditions were not great.  About 18" of snow, of which 8" was slush.  Getting around was not easy even with their snow mobiles.  No fish but plenty of good food and drink to apss the time. 

I'll be joining him and a few others the end of next week.  Hopefully there are better conditions.

Cram did you end up going yesterday?  If so, how did you make out?

Offline Cramshackle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 01, 2011, 11:10 AM »
I was out there all day yesterday. We iced 2 pike, neither were very big. We loss 2 fish when they hung us up on the bottom. Overall it was a pretty slow day, moving around was terrible because of the deep slush layer. Most likely the last trip there for me this year.

Offline Burning Beard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 01, 2011, 11:20 AM »
What were your conditions and where did you end up fishing?

Fishing here is never really that great whether it is through the ice or on a boat but you can't beat the atmosphere.

Offline Burning Beard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 09, 2012, 01:13 PM »
Hello all.  This is my annual "We are coming up in a few weeks and would like to know what the conditions are" but this time I'd like to share my experience from last year.

We arrived at the State landing about 9:30 am on Feb 11, 2011.  Our camp is landlocked and the only way to it is about a mile across the ice from the landing or 1/4 mile straight across from the plow turn around.  The landing was not plowed and a 4' high snow berm covered it’s entrance.  Three of us shoveled while the other three unloaded the snow mobile and gear.  15 minutes later the snow mobile was in the landing and sleds were attached and packed with fire wood and misc gear.  The SM (snow mobile) took off with two guys and three sleds.  The rest unloaded and prepared for the next SM trip.  The SM only made it 150 yards until it broke through the ice.  We discovered in that area there was 10" of snow, 3" of ice", 12" of water, and then the real ice.  It took all six of us to lift the back end of the SM out of the water.  The new plan was for one driver, my brother, to take the SM with a light load while two other guys began pulling the sleds and he would come back for them.  The other three loaded up the rest of the gear back into the trucks and headed to the plow turn around to take a couple trips straight across on foot.  The SM made it to the camp but as it slowed down he realized he would crack through if he stopped again.  He turned around without dropping anything off and headed back to landing.  On the way he passed the two on foot who were only 1/4 mile into the 1 mile trip and were confused why he didn't stop to get them as they are now crashing through the top layer into the icy water with each step.  The three with the trucks unloaded the rest of the gear and sleds and brought it all to the ice.  One has snowshoes and he heads out pulling a sled with no troubles.  The other two, I being one of them, set out and began crushing though into the water layer 100 yards out.  My one boot immediately fills up with icy water.  The other was my nephew who has higher boots and he is doing ok other than moving slowly.  About half way across the snowshoer is on his way back for a second trip and I can hear the SM up on the road headed towards the trucks.  The first two are now split up and do not appear to be halfway.  My foot is now aching awfully and I abandoned the sled but took the 30-pack and used it as a crutch every time I crashed through.  My nephew stopped about a 1/4 of the way left to take a breather and I reached him 10 minutes later.  By this time I know my foot is in serious condition and I need to get it out of the icy water filled boot.  I looked out and saw the furthest two still a ways away and knew they must be in similar condition as they are heavier and don’t have as good of boots as I have.  I told my nephew to leave his sled and get to the cabin as fast as he can and get the fire going because half of us will be in critical condition when we get there.  After he left I slumped down on his sled and took off my boot and peeled off my sock that was instantly freezing with air exposure.  My foot was deep red and numbing.  I put the foot inside my deer skin mitten as best as I could and began to rub it.  I then started screaming to the two furthest guys to abandon their sleds and get themselves to the cabin.  They finally heard me and did just that.  My brother and the snowshoer were just beginning their trip across from the trucks and I knew I wasn’t going to get any better just sitting there.  I took the frozen insert out of the boot and shoved half of my foot and mitten into the boot shell and then began running, limping, hobbling, and splashing the rest of the way.  I entered the cabin and immediately stripped off my wet clothes.  My nephew had the fire started but by no means was the stove hot yet so I put my foot up to the flames with the door open.  The snowshoer showed up 15 minutes later with my bag so I was able to put on dry pants and socks.  By this time the feeling was back and so was the immense pain.  10 minutes after that the first of the two with the longest journey came through the door and was in the same condition except with both feet.  I hopped around and helped him get out of his frozen/ wet clothes and but my socks on him.  My brother was the next one in and he came in scared of my condition as he saw me down on the ice from where he was and knows I don’t go down that easily.  After I assured him I was ok he went back out for scattered gear.  His boots and bibs where frozen but the water didn’t penetrate.  The last one out there was my brother-in-law who is the largest at close to 300 pounds and had the longest way to go.  About 2 hours into his trek we heard him yelling for help and the snowshoer and my brother ran with a sled around the corner to his aid.  They found him in shock and bibs frozen to his waist.  They told him to get in the sled and he had enough wits to tell them to go scratch but help him get there as he couldn’t find it from the angle he took.  He entered the cabin and I had to smash the ice off his bibs and boots to get him out of them.  I dressed him in my sweatpants and socks, even though they were way too small since his bag was still out there somewhere, and shoved him in a sleeping bag.  We attended to him as he shook for about 20 minutes until he regained composure and the pain diminished.  Thankfully we all survived and fully recovered within a short period.  Once everyone was safe we toasted and laughed about the disaster we just lived through.  From the time we got to the landing and until the toast it was over 3 hours.  We now all own snowshoes and will make sure we are ready for any condition.
With all of that said, I would appreciate any and all information you can give me regarding this lake or others in the area.  Thanks and I hope you enjoyed reading of our adventure.

Offline jeep528

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 09, 2012, 08:09 PM »
Fish Lake Colby or Union Falls

Offline auger in

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 09, 2012, 10:16 PM »
I thought Union Falls and Franklin falls were the same place?

Offline Cramshackle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 10, 2012, 01:18 AM »
LoL. That is an ice fishing adventure. Franklin Falls was horrid last year. As a walker the only way I could make it anywhere out there was by following frozen snowmobile trails. The last time I fished it I was standing in 8" of water the whole time. The only area dry was the little plateu we made of wet snow that froze up. Haven't been out there yet this year. I was goin to the north end today, but had to change my plans.  I should get out there in the next few days though.

Offline Cramshackle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 10, 2012, 01:22 AM »
I thought Union Falls and Franklin falls were the same place?
Franklin and Union Falls are both made by dams in the Saranac River. They are similar and close to each other but different. Union is bigger and has more private land. Franklin is mostly state land with a few camps.

Offline Burning Beard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 10, 2012, 07:40 AM »
Franklin and Union Falls are both made by dams in the Saranac River. They are similar and close to each other but different. Union is bigger and has more private land. Franklin is mostly state land with a few camps.

Crams got the right of it.  Let me know what you find when you do go.

Also feel free to anyone else to share their near death or just completely ridiculous ice experience.

Offline Burning Beard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 23, 2012, 03:48 PM »
Ok this is the week we make the journey to the ice!  We have not been able to get out here in NJ.  We are hyper excited and anticipate a much better outcome as far as conditions go.  I spoke with a few of you via PM and I appreciate all the info you guys gave.  If there is anything else someone would like to offer as far as snow depth and ice thickness I'd appreciate it.

I'd also like to hear some other terrible conditions experiences.  I know we can't be the only knuckeheads out there. :whistle:

Offline adkgold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 23, 2012, 05:16 PM »
I was up to union last week and there was about 12" or so.  Some spots by the dam and public access were unsafe.  Not much for snow in the area 3" tops, and although we are having warm temps, it is still going to be cold at night.
Hope this helps.

Offline greenkeez

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 23, 2012, 09:28 PM »
I've always wanted to go on Union. Always heard that the walleye are plentiful there. I've caught good walleye farther down the Saranac and figured they came from there.

Offline Burning Beard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 17, 2013, 08:59 AM »
Us NJ'ers are heading up a week from today.  We are thankful the weather decided to cooperate and start making ice for us just in time.  I have been lurking on other threads to get conditions and Colby is the closest to Franklin but does anyone have any info specifically for Franklin Falls?  We'd be most interested in snow coverage and of course ice thickness.  Thanks!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.