Author Topic: SMALL BLACK MARABOU JIGS  (Read 1696 times)

Offline JIGMAN21

• Team IceShanty Regular
SMALL BLACK MARABOU JIGS
« on: May 07, 2019, 11:41 AM »
WHERE CAN I FIND SOME GOOD ONES ?

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: SMALL BLACK MARABOU JIGS
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 12:18 PM »
Make your own.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 12:46 PM »
Voodoo Jigs are my go-to for Steelhead.  They have the strongest hooks out there from what I've found.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 01:00 PM »
Voodoo Jigs are my go-to for Steelhead.  They have the strongest hooks out there from what I've found.
How do they hold up? Most of the ones I used to buy fall apart rather quickly.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 01:08 PM »
I pour,powdercoat and tie my own for steelhead and kings.i use 32388 mustad 2x hooks.strongest jig hook ive ever used.sorry to hijack i like areojig nip nip jigs for small presentations.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 01:51 PM »
How do they hold up? Most of the ones I used to buy fall apart rather quickly.
  They hold up great.  I buy the painted 1/32oz jigs from them and tie on my own marabou, but I have purchased their pre-tied ones as well.  When I tie my own, I give the heads a quick coating of Helly Hansen Hard as Nails that I buy at Walgreens.  Adds an extra layer of protection when bouncing off the rocks in the river.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 02:52 PM »
I'll have to try that, I paint my own jigs and the powder paint holds up well in the rocks. When I tied mine I used a water based epoxy on the thread.

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 11:32 PM »
I remember the first marabou jigs I ever used was in the early 60's.  The best ones were made by a company called Allens.  The head was shaped lightly triangular.  They were excellent jigs with fine sharp hooks.  My favourites were all black or yellow with a black stripe.  I think there were even black with a bright green stripe.  Pike would rip off some of the marabou.  Rubber was not used for jigs in those days but within a few years, jigs called "beetle bug" with a rubber body came out and I think they are still available.  I never had much luck with those jigs.  I think I still have a couple of Allens Marabou jigs.  Now a days, I make my own marabou jigs.  Marabou jigs work great....after they have been soaked in the water for a while.  The marabou is just long enough to cover the hook.  Even when motionless, the marabou fibers move in the water.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.