The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: hungray horse res  (Read 2644 times)

Offline cjg20232

• IceShanty Rookie
hungray horse res
« on: Feb 14, 2013, 10:59 PM »
Does any one no if this is good ice fishing? An if so were ?

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
Re: hungray horse res
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2013, 05:43 AM »
That is the most dangerous ice in the State.  The water level is too erratic for the ice to be stable.  I have checked it a couple of times and even called the people at the Corp of Engineers at the Dam.  They also say the same about the water level fluctuations creating a real life hazard.

Yet again, you may venture out, catch a load of fish and nothing bad happens.
wish you many hook-ups

Offline cjg20232

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2013, 10:02 AM »
i always wanted to try it i fish alot back in spotted bear in the summer.  So i dont think i will walk out on it

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2013, 10:51 AM »
I heard tell a tale about a guy who went fishing on Hungry Horse one very cold winter and he walked out from shore about 50 yards on what was apparently very thick ice proceeded to drill a hole with his power auger and he drilled for a fair bit of time to make through about 24" of ice and then his auger dropped!  He removed to auger from the hole and looked down the hole only to realize that there was 15 feet between the bottom of the ice and the top of the water!  Now like I said I heard tell a tale, but it doesn't instill any confidence when going to fish that body of water during hardwater season!

If you go be very cautious!  and Good Fishing :tipup:

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2013, 01:25 PM »
I heard tell a tale about a guy who went fishing on Hungry Horse one very cold winter and he walked out from shore about 50 yards on what was apparently very thick ice proceeded to drill a hole with his power auger and he drilled for a fair bit of time to make through about 24" of ice and then his auger dropped!  He removed to auger from the hole and looked down the hole only to realize that there was 15 feet between the bottom of the ice and the top of the water!  Now like I said I heard tell a tale, but it doesn't instill any confidence when going to fish that body of water during hardwater season!

Uh no one would be dumb enough to go to Abbott Boat launch and do that. ::)

DanDanthefisherman and I, back in the early 80's at Green Mountain Reservoir in Colorado, also used a hand auger, spoon type, took a while to get the hole cut because we used a very dull spoon auger.  Air came up when we busted open the hole and there was no water at all for about (estimate) 4 to 8 feet, didn't really take time to look it over & measure it.  Talk about puckering up, wetting your trousers, grabbing gear and running.

Then later during that decade DanDanthefisherman and I were on Lake Granby, Colorado for a derby.  It was early morning about 4:30am, dark, strolling in 14'' of wet snow on the lake, pulling a very heavy shack then I sink to the arm pits in quick sand type slush, snow and water.  Wetting my trousers from the inside helped keep me warm that time.  The shock was so horrific I don't recall all the details or how much crying I did but I am sure Dan does.

I am not stating it would happen to everyone although it won't happen to me ever again.  Ask Dan, I chickened out a few weeks ago from fishing some prime areas at Hell Creek because I was being cautious.
wish you many hook-ups

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2013, 01:39 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D :unsure: :unsure: :woot: :woot:

Offline cjg20232

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2013, 02:08 PM »
Jus talked to my aunt that worked for the forest service in hungray horse for over 30 years an said that is very true about the ice seperating from the water.  So weird i bet it would be good fishing too

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2013, 09:43 AM »

lol, I was going to tell the same story about HH. I heard it at least 30 years ago. With all the cracks I see on the ice it seems hard to believe the ice wouldn't fall, but who knows!

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2013, 03:26 PM »
Just from an engineering perspective, the ice can't support itself in a sheet that size. If the water drops a couple inches or a foot, the ice goes down with it and a shore slope to the sheet should  be noticeable with much of a drop. Certainly would be possible to not notice the slope to the ice from the shore and venture out a ways, drill a hole, and not see any water. Talk about rectal puckers!

Offline hardwater81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2013, 10:26 PM »
Now I ain't saying I believe it but I heard that some guys would cut ice from the shoreline out to where they could get under the ice then walk down to the edge of the water and spinfish. sounds pretty hard to believe to me but that's what i heard

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2013, 10:38 PM »
Just from an engineering perspective, the ice can't support itself in a sheet that size. If the water drops a couple inches or a foot, the ice goes down with it and a shore slope to the sheet should  be noticeable with much of a drop. Certainly would be possible to not notice the slope to the ice from the shore and venture out a ways, drill a hole, and not see any water. Talk about rectal puckers!

Exactly, I've heard this story many times, on  many different lakes, lots claiming first hand experience.... they all claimed they rode out, drilled and seen the water 8' below, buncha BSers.   ::) ::)

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2013, 10:57 PM »

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #12 on: Feb 16, 2013, 11:43 PM »
I do love mussels! :tipup:

Bullelk34

« Reply #13 on: Feb 16, 2013, 11:46 PM »
Like this ;D
http://youtu.be/Z0qGvC3vqaA

Exactly- That video was filmed on the northwest shore of Hungry Horse!!!            ;D     

Offline wingnutty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2013, 09:43 AM »
Like this ;D
http://youtu.be/Z0qGvC3vqaA

Screw that!  I wouldn't go down there if it was filled with $100 bills!  Getting trapped by rising water and waiting to die has got to be a rough way to go.

Offline PJB_Montana

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Ice Baby
« Reply #15 on: Feb 18, 2013, 06:55 PM »
cjg20232,

Emery Bay would be a cool area to try out. Please stay away from fishing by the dam itself. The ice is not safe near there. Reservoir levels have been fairly consistent but as anytime you venture out onto the ice...be careful. BTW the corps of engineers know nothing about the dam. It is a bureau of reclamation dam. If you have any questions feel free to call 406-387-5241. Ask about reservoir levels over the past few weeks. We have ramped down generation lately so definitely call us at the dam before you make the trip. Good luck and be safe.

PJB
PJB

Offline cjg20232

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 18, 2013, 09:17 PM »
is that on the east or west side of the res.  an how far up.  an thanks for the number i will call for sure

Offline PJB_Montana

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Ice Baby
« Reply #17 on: Feb 18, 2013, 10:00 PM »
You can also use this link to follow reservoir elevation levels. It is the bottom listing. Or you can just message me if you like as sometimes it is pretty busy at work and you may not always get through. Emery is on the east side of the reservoir, I do not know how road conditions are on that side of the res though. It's not very far back so it might be reachable. Probably want to check out first before you commit to anything. You get int from Martin city and is probably 4 or 5 miles up the road.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/mt/nwis/current/?type=lake&group_key=huc_cd

This is the link for river data..you can find NF, SF, MF and main stem data for the flathead if you wanna fish the river and see what levels are doing.
http://mt.water.usgs.gov/
PJB

Offline cjg20232

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 18, 2013, 11:08 PM »
ya thats interesting  i dont wanna be out on it if nobody else is going out there

Offline DoogieMT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 19, 2013, 12:19 AM »
Funny how no one thinks twice about going out on Tiber, TRR, Frances, Cannon Ferry, Flathead, Fort Peck or any other reservior in the state. But some one mentions Hungry Horse and everyone gets the heeby jeebes.

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #20 on: Feb 19, 2013, 03:58 AM »
I trust PJB_Montana would not lead us wrong and into danger so I will go to Emery today.  This URL will send you to Google Maps for this location.  http://goo.gl/maps/ZZ0kX

I fish this area a few times a summer and we have friends that dry camp there in June and July.  They have to move spot to spot every 14 days or so to be able to stay. 

The screen shots below are of Emery Bay area.  The banks in that area are somewhat steep except toward the boat launch.  If I remember correctly the launch has the same concrete cross ties as Abbott.  Steep but walkable with a Smitty sled I think.

wish you many hook-ups

Offline YETI_MILK

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 19, 2013, 06:52 AM »
Does any one no if this is good ice fishing? An if so were ?

i would also like to no if this is good icefisching and also where to go fish if it is. i would prefer areas where others a\ have caught lots of big fish in the past is there an area specifically where other have caught lots of big fish in the past?
Whats do you drink on the ice? I like beer. any advise is greatly appreciated

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 19, 2013, 11:50 PM »
i would also like to no if this is good icefisching and also where to go fish if it is. i would prefer areas where others a\ have caught lots of big fish in the past is there an area specifically where other have caught lots of big fish in the past?

In the water!  Trolling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...................... ......
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Offline Firetrap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 20, 2013, 04:31 AM »
That same BS tale of the air pocket is told about Yellowtail.

Ft Peck scares the hell out of me but I ice fish it every year.

Offline PJB_Montana

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Ice Baby
« Reply #24 on: Feb 20, 2013, 07:52 AM »
I hear Emery is great during the summer that's why I suggested it. As for ice conditions, I can tell you I've never seen anyone ice fish and I look into the reservoir everyday. Not to say people arent snowcatting back in there to reach certain spots as well as various other mountain lakes above the res. I definitely would not go out alone and I would have a backup destination ready in case the ice isn't trust worthy. I tip toe out on the ice with safety picks and no gear first when on a new body of water I've never ice fished. I don't want to scare anybody away as I would love to ice fish this place...I've just never seen anyone out doing it. You might want to look into whether the east side road is maintained enough to reach emery bay without an atv. I know the state only plows up to the dam and we plow the top of the dam itself to allow snowmobilers to access the west side of the reservoir. Hope this helps and good luck...more importantly be safe. BTW just got back from Ft. Peck with a 15 lb pike =) Highly recommend it! Awesome body of water.
PJB

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 21, 2013, 04:19 PM »
That's 100% correct. At Fort Peck they have lowered the level 2 feet in January. You could see it in the sloped ice leading down to the current level. I think most people don't notice it.

Offline griz901

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Dang - lost my bait!"
« Reply #26 on: Feb 22, 2013, 12:52 AM »
Personally - I say stay off HH Res during winter

Take a good pair of binocs up to the dam and spy out there and see if anyone is fishing. I doubt it. I camp several times a year over 40 miles in and I can say from personal experience the water level changes are dramatic for such a large lake. I've heard the stories too.

my 2 cents

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.