Author Topic: New Members to Team Alaska, introduce yourselves here!  (Read 117204 times)

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: New Members to Team Alaska, introduce yourselves here!
« Reply #210 on: Dec 27, 2010, 08:59 PM »
A big welcome to the latest members! Have a happy and safe New Year!

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #211 on: Dec 28, 2010, 12:53 AM »
Welcome People! Be sure to put your area into your profile so we can tell what area of the state you are in please!

Offline AKCarnivore

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #212 on: Dec 29, 2010, 07:21 PM »
I live in Wasilla and came to Alaska in 1986.  I have done my best to enjoy all sorts of outdoor activities, especially hiking and hunting.  It is just over the last few years that I have really spent much time ice fishing, but really have the bug now.  I've posted quite a bit on another forum and registered with iceshanty last year but only lurked.  I even had to change my password to post this since I had no idea what the old one was.  Just got back from a couple days up at Lake Louise.  It was real cold, but we managed to get out a couple days and I caught my first lake trout of any decent size...    est. 10 - 12 pounds.  Too much fun.  Nothing better than that first sight of a good "fish on" just below the ice.

Offline critter_catcher74

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #213 on: Jan 01, 2011, 10:27 AM »
New to the board. I have been in Alaska since mid October. I haven't ice fished since I was a young kid. I have been out twice this winter, once to Birch and the second time to Chena Lake. I have only caught one fish that was about 7" long. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Probably going out to Chena again this morning. Wish me luck! I will be deploying in about four weeks so I have to catch some fish soon.

Offline evilsnipe

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Well, it's all over but the cryin'.
« Reply #214 on: Jan 02, 2011, 03:55 AM »
First of all. What a great site. Born and raised Alaskan. Been ice fishing on and off for the last 20 years give or take. Have lived here in Sterling for the past ten years. Work month on month off for the State of Alaska. Fish "The River" from shore and skiff every day I'm not at work in the warmer months. Have been slacking on fishing the hard water due to Ol' Lady restrictions. Those restriction's just "ended". Have a couple snowmachines, nice sled and a new gas auger. Live right on the boundary of the KNWR. Mile 77 of the Sterling Hwy. Looking forward to fishing the surrounding lakes. However REALLY looking for info on fishing Skilak. Everyone I've met who's been fishing it for years have pretty tight lips about when, where , and how on that great lake. PM me with info if your willing to part with it and don't want it out there for the general public. Love the winter, fishing on the ice, and getting outdoors.........will fish.......anytime, anywhere! Hope to see you out there!

Offline ret25yo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #215 on: Jan 08, 2011, 10:48 PM »
New to Ice fishing, so new I haven't done it yet. I live out on a lake that is next to many lakes that are great fishing. I just recently received a snowmobile so am now looking to acquire the fishing items needed to get under the ice. Just joined to learn primarily and meet new people.. -Kyle

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #216 on: Jan 08, 2011, 11:24 PM »
New to Ice fishing, so new I haven't done it yet. I live out on a lake that is next to many lakes that are great fishing. I just recently received a snowmobile so am now looking to acquire the fishing items needed to get under the ice. Just joined to learn primarily and meet new people.. -Kyle
Welcome Kyle!
There goes the neighborhood!
Mike
P.S. I have the gear..... will let you know when the weather is nice enough for an old goat like me.

Offline FishHuntress

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #217 on: Jan 30, 2011, 04:36 PM »
My name is Gabi, new to this site but, have been fishing all my life.  Been living in Eagle River, AK for almost 3 years and moved here from Eagle River, WI.  Grew up fishing walleye, northeren and musky primarily. Looking to find some good friends and maybe there secret fishing tricks and spots up here.  It's definitely much different than back home..... trout... in a lake... ????  Main hot spots I enjoy are Long Lake (Glenn Hwy) and up north in the Trappers Creek area where I own a chunk of land.  Any and all advice is welcome!  Go Team AK!!!! :flex:

Offline catchumall

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • God bless the USA and Canada!
« Reply #218 on: Jan 30, 2011, 04:43 PM »
Welcome Gabi, this is a great site, I am sure you won't be disappointed.   :tipup:
Bob

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #219 on: Jan 30, 2011, 10:27 PM »
My name is Gabi, new to this site but, have been fishing all my life.  Been living in Eagle River, AK for almost 3 years and moved here from Eagle River, WI.  Grew up fishing walleye, northeren and musky primarily. Looking to find some good friends and maybe there secret fishing tricks and spots up here.  It's definitely much different than back home..... trout... in a lake... ????  Main hot spots I enjoy are Long Lake (Glenn Hwy) and up north in the Trappers Creek area where I own a chunk of land.  Any and all advice is welcome!  Go Team AK!!!! :flex:

If you are at Long Lake Friday night or Sunday late afternoon...... I am the jerk honking coming down the hill. Welcome to Ice Shanty!
Mike

Offline KenaiHardH2O

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #220 on: Jan 31, 2011, 11:39 PM »
Have lived in Alaska for 13 years, first 10 in Kodiak and last 3 three in Kenai. Ice fished a lot in Montana and Wyoming before moving to Alaska. Kodiak is too warm for good ice so only fished on the salt there. Have been exploring the lakes on the Kenai Peninsula and trying to figure things out since I moved here. Recently found this forum and look forward to sharing info.

Offline evilsnipe

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Well, it's all over but the cryin'.
« Reply #221 on: Feb 01, 2011, 09:35 AM »
Welcome to Team Alaska KenaiHardH20! This Ice Shanty and especially the Alaska forum is definitely helpful! I know once I found it I was hooked. It does make me jealous though sometimes of the boys a little farther north with their Lakers and Burbot. I work on the Tustumena and my girlfriend is from Kodiak so I know where your coming from. A little colder here on the K Pen. Welcome.

Offline slade

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #222 on: Feb 05, 2011, 07:53 PM »
hey iam new here love to fish looking for fishing buddy's its hard to meet people any more my kids are at that age they don't want to hang out any more iam retired and love to fish

Offline slade

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #223 on: Feb 05, 2011, 07:59 PM »
hey my name is slade i love to fish iam retired so lets go fishing been pike fishing in willow lately

Offline ICEO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #224 on: Feb 16, 2011, 03:19 PM »
KenaiHardH20
Are you the same guy that took on the power auger with a hand auger a few years back on Tongue River Res? You out drilled them 2+ holes to every 1 they drilled when I was watching. :o ;D ICEO

Offline KenaiHardH2O

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #225 on: Feb 16, 2011, 05:59 PM »
That would be me but I was a little younger then.  That was a good auger with some sweet blades!

Take care!

Offline makemhowell

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #226 on: Feb 24, 2011, 09:37 PM »
My name is Matt and I am in the USAF stationed at Eielson AFB in Fairbanks. I am an avid outdoorsman, growing up in Michigan I have a love for the Hardwater. First time fishing for trout through it though.

fbksmtnman

« Reply #227 on: Mar 12, 2011, 01:46 PM »
Well I live in fbks been fishing up here for about 10 years now.  Really enjoy it.  Glad I found this site and willing to share and learn with all users.  Burbot are my favorite fish to catch under the ice but go for anything that swims.  Hope to hear from everyone - Matt

Offline alwaysskunked

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #228 on: Mar 26, 2011, 05:56 PM »
Hello all, name is Tim, been here since May 2010, came up from Texas(FT Hood).  Am a diehard bass fisherman, trying to get into this ice fishing situation but to no avail!!  Seems that no matter where i am going here, only thing i am getting is chapped lips!!! Oh well right, its not called catching!!  Any advise anyone has hit me up please I'm all ears.  Good luck to all and happy fishin'---TIM---

Offline alcanron

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #229 on: Apr 11, 2011, 08:57 PM »
I know the season is almost over but better late than never. I go by the handle of alcanron and have lived in Alaska for almost 7 years now and really got into hardcore ice fishing this year. I have mainly filled my funnel with Harding Lake. I have had some decent success there this year as the pics speak for themselves. The two main reasons I fish this lake is it's close(gas ain't cheap) and it produces very large fish!
"There are many good fishermen and some great ones. But there is only one you." The Old Man and The Sea

Offline wild4ak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #230 on: Nov 02, 2011, 11:15 AM »
Hey all! New to the forum but not to the hard water. Been ice fishing for about 30yrs now mostly back in Wisconsin.  I have been in alaska for about 11 yrs now.  For the most part i have been just dinking arounf the Anchorage area lakes but this year I'm wanting to get out to some other lakes looking for some bigger fish.  For the most part during the hard water season I'm out to have some fun and the freezer already has enough fish for me to eat so it a quick pic and back in the hole it goes.  Any advice is more then welcome.

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
« Reply #231 on: Nov 02, 2011, 11:24 AM »
Can I be an honorary team Alaska member?  I spent the summer working for the University of Alaska Fairbanks on their forest growth and yield project. While I was there we traveled to work all over Alaska and with that comes fishing of course. When I flew into Fairbanks (May 21) I saw some lakes with ice on them and my heart began to pump at an excessive rate. A large piece of me will always be in Alaska, until my return.

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
« Reply #232 on: Nov 04, 2011, 12:40 AM »
Yes, you are hereby Blessed  as an Honorary Member of Team Alaska!

Conditions of membership are to boast about Alaska and all her glory that exists year round and second, you must remember to defend her honor when anything is said negative about our state.

Welcome

Offline ShortStick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #233 on: Nov 12, 2011, 11:43 AM »
Hello my fellow hard water enthusiasts,

I stumbled upon this site just yesterday afternoon and couldn't get registered fast enough.  I have been in Alaska for exactly 4 weeks now and I can't wait any longer, I need to fish. Problem is, I don't know much about the area lakes or where to go to find current ice conditions. I'm hoping that is going to be solved by joining this forum. I'm new to AK, but have been ice fishing the mountain west for over a decade. I wasn't able to bring much when I moved, but I made certain that two ice rods and a small winter tackle bag made the trip with me.  I am in Anchorage and have been reading up on the local lakes that are stocked, but other than that, I haven't found much information. I'm glad to have found this site and hope I will soon be contributing with reports and pics from around my area. Any info or advice will always be welcome. Thanks for letting me join.

C'ya on the hard deck,

-ShortStick

Offline coathangerscar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #234 on: Nov 16, 2011, 09:39 PM »
Hello all, I'm brand new to this site, and fairly new to ice fishing all together. Grew up in Alaska but lived in Homer, so never really felt the need to drill holes to fish. Been in Fairbanks since '95 and still haven't done much winter fishing yet. Fished Quartz a couple times last year and kind of caught the bug I guess. Hit the Tanana last weekend for burbot with the kids. It's snow-go distance from my house so I imagine I'll spend quite a bit of time down there this season.

Anyways, thanks for the site, I've already learned a ton from you guys!

Rob

Offline ChiDormeNonPigliaPesci

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #235 on: Nov 18, 2011, 06:43 PM »
Hi.  My name's Colin.  I'm fairly new to Alaska...this will be my first winter here in Anchorage.  I came from western Montana where most of my icefishing was for perch and pike.  I've seen this iceshanty website before...I used to read the posts to get an "idea" of where to go...but I've never been a member.  I guess it's my turn to contribute!  :)  Any advice on where to go would be helpful. 

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #236 on: Nov 19, 2011, 01:38 AM »
Welcome new guys!!! :)
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Great White Char Hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I'm all jacked up on mountain dew chip!!!!!!!!
« Reply #237 on: Nov 22, 2011, 06:33 PM »
im 28 from eagle river and like to go after big char. im hoping to catch my first lake trout or burbot this year. ive been here in AK since 08'

Offline JigginH2Oat40BLO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #238 on: Nov 23, 2011, 02:36 PM »
Hello Team Alaska!  My name is Brian.  I've dropped by Iceshanty several occasions over the years and figured it was time to drill down membership and get to jiggin' here.  Some of you know me already from the rafting, kayaking, sport-fishing, and fly-out float trips scene --- summertime through late fall.

Winter season is a timeline when I enjoy cruising the snowbound reaches of Alaska in search of just about anything that swims 'neath the ice and stalks a presentation.  I reckon most on here feel the same. 

This season, I'm seeking to specialize more on certain species such as larger Lake Trout... focusing on prime habitats and better techniques.  Information, experience, and local practice... even dumb luck is key --- that is the primary reasoning for my membership (always more to learn every day). 

Growing up in Alaska, I've been on the the ice fishing seen for many years and raft/fishing guided the past 29 years.  When on the ice, I still hand auger my holes (mostly reliability, fitness, or weight-savings) and go about it somewhat traditionally.  Go with the jiggin' rod/real most of the time.  The best thing about ice-fishing ----  I like sharing and showing others the fun and chill of the sport.

Cheers, hello all, and a Happy Thanksgiving! :)
Brian

Offline Zfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #239 on: Nov 29, 2011, 02:06 AM »
Hi I'm Zfisher and I am a fishing addict.
I moved back to Ak last Dec from my farm in NW Missouri and have been having the time of my life. I fly fish in the summer and started fishing the ice about 4 years ago. I got into some nice dollie fishing last winter near Seward but am trying places a little closer to town(ANC) too.
I have an Eskimo Stingray and a portable shelter now so wanting to learn more about ice fishing and have fun on the forum.
thanks for the great site!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.