The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Brown Trout Set-up/ Gasblaster Xmas Card ho ho ho  (Read 1490 times)

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Brown Trout Set-up/ Gasblaster Xmas Card ho ho ho
« on: Dec 22, 2018, 03:55 PM »
Well... I’m thinking I’ll target some browns a couple times this winter. I don’t want any coords or secret spots. Just looking for some method tips on depth, tip-up set-ups, smelter or shiners where, anything jigging... Never targeted them. Caught them on salmon setups and swedish pimple with small minnow tip. Thanks! PM please. I know......
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Brown Trout Set-up Advice???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2018, 04:29 PM »
My biggest brown was on a jig rod with a piece of cut bait . Had him in my 10" hole and the jig came out he had a nice hook jaw and was close to 2' long he was able to turn and left me with a little slime and a memory for the rest of my life. They have a very tough jaw .which is why I like Garmargatsu  hook on my jigs now . no hook is stronger and sharper. Good luck.

Offline fishbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2018, 04:45 PM »
i also say very sharp hooks.....clear light line ...lively bait......and try all 3 water colums....the bottom.the middle and 3 ft under the ice....

Offline fishbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2018, 04:51 PM »
also dont ignore shallow water.....got my best one in only 6 feet of water

Offline Sawyerjosh

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2018, 07:39 PM »
Fish for everything else and you’ll cast him em by mistake.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2018, 08:12 PM »
That’s what I’ve heard and read lol. They can literally be anywhere as they roam almost without reason.

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2018, 09:12 PM »
You should have no trouble finding browns ..

It looks like your setup for it below

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2018, 11:51 PM »
You should have no trouble finding browns ..

(Image removed from quote.)
Find what you’re looking for up there? Seems to be they only place you ever look.  :roflmao: :icefish: Merry Christmas!
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2018, 11:53 PM »

OK, so I set up like I was fishing for brookies in 100’ of water and cusk along the shore line in broad daylight! And avoid eye contact...  :tipup: :icefish:

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Re: Brown Trout Set-up/ Gasblaster Xmas Card ho ho ho
« Reply #9 on: Dec 25, 2018, 08:59 AM »
I just couldn’t find the words to express my sentiments.  ::) Merry Xmas GassBlaster!!! Just so yo know I am thinking of you ;D ;)2 :icefish:(It probably won’t stay up long. HO HO HO! )

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #10 on: Dec 25, 2018, 09:05 AM »
Fresh stocked browns can usually be caught near shore fishing for brookies. Like most guys have said on here they can be caught anywhere. I have seen a lot of fish caught in 20-40 FOW anywhere from 10-20’ below the ice. Good luck.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #11 on: Dec 25, 2018, 09:21 AM »
Fresh stocked browns can usually be caught near shore fishing for brookies. Like most guys have said on here they can be caught anywhere. I have seen a lot of fish caught in 20-40 FOW anywhere from 10-20’ below the ice. Good luck.

I am looking at some fish that are holdover types for many years. Some may actually be natural spawn in this place. They do put quite a few in there too. The ones I was shown were in the 10 - 24” range. All whole fins and solid bodies. At least I couldn’t see fin clips in the picks. Nor scrubber though given the nicely firmly fins and bodies.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 25, 2018, 09:28 AM »
I am looking at some fish that are holdover types for many years. Some may actually be natural spawn in this place. They do put quite a few in there too. The ones I was shown were in the 10 - 24” range. All whole fins and solid bodies. At least I couldn’t see fin clips in the picks. Nor scrubber though given the nicely firmly fins and bodies.
The browns they’ve been putting in the last few years have had really nice fins. They don’t always clip fins either. It seems to depend on the hatchery the fish come from. I’ve even caught freshly stocked brookies in the spring that had fully intact fins from some places, while others look like they went through a tumbler.

Offline saltyshores

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 25, 2018, 10:23 AM »
That’s what I’ve heard and read lol. They can literally be anywhere as they roam almost without reason.

When we used to check ice fishermen who were targeting  brown trout, many of them caught them at mid-depths. Many of the older experienced anglers caught them on bottom because they had learned from opening brown trout stomachs that they were full of small snails that lived on bottom.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #14 on: Dec 25, 2018, 10:34 AM »
When we used to check ice fishermen who were targeting  brown trout, many of them caught them at mid-depths. Many of the older experienced anglers caught them on bottom because they had learned from opening brown trout stomachs that they were full of small snails that lived on bottom.
Thanks Salty! Years ago, I targeted browns on occasion. I still will only target them to see if I can figure it out. When I dd fish for them, I frequently saw the snails. The most that I caught were up in close to the inlet and on an incline to 20’ water. I’m pretty much a panfish guy anymore (whitefish are panfish in my pan :) ) , but it’s good to keep a broad view. I’ll have to ask Gregg a few questions.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.