The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Looking for some snowmobile advise, 1991 indy 400  (Read 1206 times)

Offline thedirtydirtyfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Looking for some snowmobile advise, 1991 indy 400
« on: Dec 17, 2018, 10:32 AM »
Hey guys,

having some fits with a snowmobile i purchased.  Its a 1991 indy 400.  So the issue im having is that it wont pick up fuel from the carb bowl.  If i pour gas down the cylinders it will fire and run but then dies out.  I have cleaned the carbs twice and all the passages are open.  I have taken off the lines connected to the carbs, and when i pull the engine over, gas does pulse out.  I replaced the spark plugs as well.  Im kind of stuck on what the issue is.  I am new to snowmobiles so kind of learning as i go.  The last thing i can thing of is the the choke lever is broken so ive been unable to choke the engine, so im gonna replace that, choke it and try and start it.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Looking for some snowmobile advise, 1991 indy 400
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2018, 11:06 AM »
Double and triple check the carb for blockage. Not sure if by "cleaning"  you meant disassembly or just spraying in cleaner. Some disassembly required.  ;) Then if fixing the choke doesn't work, and you're sure everything in the carb is clean, you might need a new fuel pump. One that's weak may still spit fuel to open air. They can be had for around $35. Best of luck with your new machine.  :tipup:

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2018, 11:42 AM »
Sounds like a loose piece of dirt in carb that loosened up when you cleaned it and it is blocking the out flow

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2018, 03:02 PM »
Turn the fuel on. There is a shut off in the line. make sure it is on.
If you fish the wrong lure long and hard enough it will eventually become the right lure!

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2018, 03:14 PM »
Turn the fuel on. There is a shut off in the line. make sure it is on.

I thought that too at first, but he mentioned fuel was flowing.

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2018, 03:20 PM »
Sounds like the fuel pump.  You should be able to buy a rebuild kit. 

Offline tipman14

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2018, 05:01 PM »
Check vacuum tube for fuel pump for cracks if not I would just replace the pump they are pretty cheap good to do even if it isn’t your problem while your there in it .
I’m here for the cusk !!!!

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2018, 05:14 PM »
Hey guys,

having some fits with a snowmobile i purchased.  Its a 1991 indy 400.  So the issue im having is that it wont pick up fuel from the carb bowl.  If i pour gas down the cylinders it will fire and run but then dies out.  I have cleaned the carbs twice and all the passages are open.  I have taken off the lines connected to the carbs, and when i pull the engine over, gas does pulse out.  I replaced the spark plugs as well.  Im kind of stuck on what the issue is.  I am new to snowmobiles so kind of learning as i go.  The last thing i can thing of is the the choke lever is broken so ive been unable to choke the engine, so im gonna replace that, choke it and try and start it.
make sure the main jets are free from debris or blocked. There are a few jet areas that are hard to get to, to disassemble. Like eiderz mentioned. The carbs need to be completely cleaned inside and out. Another issue, already mentioned, could be fuel pump. A good way to check it would be to remove the pulse vacuum tube from the engine cylinder base. If gas pours out of that tube, it’s a good indication the pump is bad. It will fill the base of the engine and put it in a very rich scenario. Even though it pumps fuel, doesn’t mean the pump isn’t going bad. Extra gas will create a rough starting issue. Good luck!!
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2018, 08:24 PM »
Good point about filling the bottom end with gas.  There should be some drain plugs in the front of the bottom end that you should pull.

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2018, 11:49 AM »
If you’re going to spend time cleaning the carbs. But new needle and seat kits while you’re at it. They could be pitted and leaking by. Creating more fuel than needed.
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline thedirtydirtyfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2018, 06:42 AM »
well thank you everyone for the advice, i did end up replacing the fuel pump and the gas lines but that didnt fix it.  What did fix it was the new choke lever i put in haha.  I guess it really loves its choke because as soon as i was able to get those plungers up it fired right up.  O well at least its running, now i just have to adjust the air mixture and she should be good to go.

Offline csiacd78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2018, 08:35 AM »
Awesome! 2 strokes love choke for sure!

Offline saltyshores

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 25, 2018, 10:43 AM »
I bought a generator that used to start well, but then the ethanol fuel reacted with something in the fuel lines or metal parts, creating a carburetor bowl that my mechanic said was full of a "Vaseline consistencygoop" that required some persistent cleaning, but it now works. Try that, maybe.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #13 on: Dec 25, 2018, 10:47 AM »
well thank you everyone for the advice, i did end up replacing the fuel pump and the gas lines but that didnt fix it.  What did fix it was the new choke lever i put in haha.  I guess it really loves its choke because as soon as i was able to get those plungers up it fired right up.  O well at least its running, now i just have to adjust the air mixture and she should be good to go.
thats what was wrong with my 96 arctic cat puma 340 only my choke plunger was stuck up in the carb.fouling plugs and flooding until i fixed that.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.