Author Topic: Anyone have stories on finding something in the lake while ice fishing?  (Read 4374 times)

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
This was told to me by a old guy I got to know when I started fishing wealth of info he taught me. Interesting story A pal of his went out spearing in a central MN lake. A pike came by and he speared it but could not get his spear and the fish back. It was stuck to the lake bed roughly in 8 feet of water. He finally started throwing a pitchfork at it to dislodge it. The motion of movement moved the lake bed. He had speared the roof of a 70's Chevy station wagon. Later found out it was some well known drunk who lost it out there years ago. what luck that would have been. Any other interesting stories of finding or getting something from the lake bed?

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Few years back i reeled up an icefishing rod that i had snagged while bouncing bottom. It had been there for atleast a couple years judging by thr amount of mud and corrosion.
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
Jigging once hooked on to something solid, after unlodging it I pulled up almost 30' of shoreline.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
Not icefishing but on my boat my fluke type anchor got stuck. We pulled and pulled and lifted a huge chunk of tree up to the surface. Had almost 30 trolling/ type lures stuck in it.

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
Got some nice lures there ;D

Offline grababrewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
This was told to me by a old guy I got to know when I started fishing wealth of info he taught me. Interesting story A pal of his went out spearing in a central MN lake. A pike came by and he speared it but could not get his spear and the fish back. It was stuck to the lake bed roughly in 8 feet of water. He finally started throwing a pitchfork at it to dislodge it. The motion of movement moved the lake bed. He had speared the roof of a 70's Chevy station wagon. Later found out it was some well known drunk who lost it out there years ago. what luck that would have been. Any other interesting stories of finding or getting something from the lake bed?
I said "It must of been in Minnesota" even before I saw your location. Great story!
(I was raised in northern Minnesota, not sure where I'm going to grow up.)

Offline Fishy Fishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Not ice fishing, but casting a shoreline for bass noticed a trolling motor on the bottom.  Snagged it and dried it out, got three years of use out of it.

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
I found a cell phone last trip out, it was not locked so I started calling the last numbers called. His buddy answered the phone, he was sitting by him, not sure the chances that I called that number but it worked. Met the guy mid lake and returned the phone.

I will never lock my phone with a passcode for this reason

Offline Super-ice-bird

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That's a fifth next to that brown!
I was fishing for king salmon in the Kenai river in Alaska and snagged into something. We had to back the boat down on it and when I got it to the surface I realized it was a small outboard boat moter wrapped up in thousands of spin-n-glows and quickfish. Right at the moment I realized what I had on the end of my line it snapped off. It would have been a great trophy, but now it’s just another one that got away story!
Come on fish!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Dead deer carcass on ice.  Seen some coyote once.  Bald eagle stealing fish on ice.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline greenbulldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
Found a couple full beers floating in the weeds casting from shore when I was about 14 or 15.  They had been there a while and were pretty bad, but the much younger me persevered. 

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
While fishing from my boat I caught a hat one time. 

Another time in a club tournament I had drawn my ice fishing buddy as a rider.  I hooked into something on a jigging spoon that felt funny, so I thought I had one foul hooked.  Called for the net and we were both excited since it had been a slow day.  Finally got it to the boat and it was about 30' of heavy rope.  We still laugh about that, and it's still in my ice sled as a safety throw rope.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline StevenB

• Team IceShanty Regular
It is a little embarrassing, but here goes....I had just caught a nice salmon on my trap closest to sure, re-baited and started jogging again.  Ten minutes goes by and another trap goes off. Great! I start fighting the fish and bringing in the line and notice there's my shiner with another line wrapped on the hook. I start pulling in the second line and there's a nice brook trout on it.
I figured I hooked someone else's lost gear and retrieve all the line until it would not give anymore. My buddy suggested I just break it off but I wanted to "play it" and see what was it connected to. I give some steady pull and nothing. So I jerked the line a couple times and noticed the trap close to shore shake a little.
Sure enough. When I had reset the trap I caught the salmon on, I did not set the release correctly. The trout hit and ran and tripped a different trap.
Nice surprise.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
When I was a kid fishing on a local pond mid summer I rowed up to (but didn't hook) a dead body.
What surprised me then as well as today is that nobody from shore saw him floating only 15' from shore?
(The report was that he either fell near the shore and knocked himself out as he fell into the water and drowned, or was killed and dumped there.)

That memory will stick with me, not only because of the sadness of the event, but because I freaked out (I was a kid, ok?) and rowed back across the pond fast enough that when I hit the dock I rowed up ON the dock! People that saw me coming said I was flying across the water.

To this day I ALWAYS keep a wary eye out, not for unpleasant things, but for salvageable things. You wouldn't believe how many lures I've found hanging from trees that were only retrievable from the ice?
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Michigan Mafia

• Team IceShanty Regular
Not really finding but retrieving.

My wife set a package of hot dogs on her lap and asked for my knife. She got distracted by a group of fish on the camera and stood up and the pack of dogs went right down the hole.

A treble hook and a few beers later we were laughing our butts off while cooking the retrieved dogs on the buddy heater.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I the one who loses all the stuff you guys find.... Phones scoops flashlights rods you name it ive dropped it in a hole
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
I haven't found that much but I sure have lost a lot of stuff. Cell phone, forcepts, jaw spreaders, ice scoop, spud bar, glasses, nail clippers, gloves, hats, minnow bucket lids, depth finder sinkers, rod & reel, I have to stop now I'm getting depressed.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
We were riding back to the boat landing at dark when we noticed, after a 5+ mile trip, that the sled cover came off and my buddy lost his LX7. We rode back up and down our path and found a few other things, but not the LX7. Stopped by a group of of guys who swore up and down they didn't see it. So after about 3 hrs of looking, we chalked it up as gone.

Next morning we headed back out off the same landing. Rode past the same group of guys who had 2 atvs stuck about 1/4 mile from where they were the night before. I stopped and asked if they needed a pull. Got the straps out, pulled both atvs to spots where there was less slush and everybody was happy. We're about to pull out when one dude says, "hey? were you the guys who lost the sonar last night?" We said, "yup, sure are". Dude walked back to his sled, opens his cover, pulls out an LX7 and says, "We found this after we talked to you guys last night".

It pays to help other guys out I guess.

Offline Genzer

• IceShanty Rookie
While checking an area for structure with an aqua view camera saw what looked like a 7' Fischer snowplow with lights and everything.

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
I once pulled a fish out of  lake when ice fishing...
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
pulled up a pair of boxer shorts one time

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
I found a cell phone last trip out, it was not locked so I started calling the last numbers called. His buddy answered the phone, he was sitting by him, not sure the chances that I called that number but it worked. Met the guy mid lake and returned the phone.

I will never lock my phone with a passcode for this reason

Was this on Facebook?   I saw someone on FB who caught a iPhone X.   
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
A rod and reel with 2 perch on the line.

Offline SHUBA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Shuba
Few years back while fishing my home lake Oneida, was out in 23 feet east of
Dunahams Island ,we had almost 2 feet of ice that year ,well I was drilling my first hole
with my power auger and I hit frozen in the ice under the snow a f#*%>*g cinder block...
Destroyed my blades ,thankfully had my 6in lazer in my shanty, would have made for a long
grumpy walk back to truck.. At least the day was not lost had lots of saying FISH ON
   All I could figure is someone used the block as an anchor for his hub and left it on the ice to freeze
SUCKED
       STAY SAFE AND FISH HARD WATER
Shuba<br />Hardwater Fanatic

Offline Edm87

• Team IceShanty Regular
Caught a dead striper and a clay pigeon.  Both were open water catches

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
If anyone pulls up a 7' 2" Shakespeare Big Water rod with a Shimano Mooching reel with about 20 colors of lead on it out of South Richardson Lake, Maine... you're welcome!!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Not ice fishing, but I was pulling up an anchor on my buddies 28 foot trophy where he had it parked right offshore from a campground. I noticed the anchor felt a little heavy, and when I got it to the surface I found out why. It was an almost brand new mountain bike. His kids still ride that bike to this day

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Not on the ice being that it was Texas, but I was fishing right off of a bridge in Killeen. Was fishing for Cats and reeled in not one but two rod and reel combos with one cast.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
Not in the lake but on the ice.  Several packages of condoms.  Haven't figured out how to use them for actual ice fishing yet. :roflmao:

Offline mc1984ss

• IceShanty Rookie
Not through the ice but on a couple of very clear northern WI lakes I've found some interesting things. On one lake there are two small sunken row boats, probably sank on purpose. On another lake right down the road you can see every shape and size oof home made anchor, cinder blocks left in the water front docks, many many man made fish structures and lots of big PC's from several snowmobiles including body parts windshield and even an engine

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.