New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Sandy pond  (Read 28953 times)

Offline traveler05

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Sandy pond
« Reply #240 on: Jan 28, 2011, 05:32 PM »
We walked out off the elms this morning and it wasnt too bad. Coming back was a little worse, but if you consider it just a workout you can deal with it.

Offline piker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here fishy,fishy
« Reply #241 on: Jan 28, 2011, 05:42 PM »
Went off wigwam today with son and grandson , walking not bad . Some spots was slushly ,think cold air coming in will set it up good 8-10 in. ice. bite not bad just have to sort out the dinks .... got some nice ones today , enough for meal .... ;D
If your not fishing, your not living.....

Offline fayrendel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #242 on: Jan 28, 2011, 07:21 PM »
So went out today drilled one hole and completely ruined my relatively new blades on my hand auger, so we had no holes. Three guys and one hole that bottomed out there was 1 inch of water, must have been a bar or something, I was not aware of that. Anyway after borrowing a 4 inch auger from a nearby fisher (Thanks again big time) got some holes drilled in an area with a little bit of debth. 3 guys fished from 12:00 till about 5 and brought home approximately 11 good size perch mostly 12 inches and above and one crappie. All in all did alright but only because some people left and i was able to use their holes and catch some decent fish. Sorry to look like a lurch just using others holes but it was my only option and I dont exactly live close to sandy pond.

Offline pondskipper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • AT THE SOUND OF MY NAME, FISH TREMBLE!
« Reply #243 on: Jan 29, 2011, 06:09 AM »
I am confused!

Offline hollywood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #244 on: Jan 29, 2011, 06:32 AM »
Sorry to look like a lurch just using others holes but it was my only option and I dont exactly live close to sandy pond.

There aren't too many guys that wouldn't let you borrow their auger if you asked. As long as you keep in out of the sand... ;D

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #245 on: Jan 29, 2011, 07:11 AM »
I am going to miss it this year. Is the Sportsmans club having theres on Presidents day weekend?

MAY YOUR FLAGS FLY HIGH & YOUR LINES BE TIGHT.

Offline gill catcher13126

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #246 on: Jan 30, 2011, 02:13 AM »
hey fellow hard water enthusiast im bringing a friend out tomarrow afternoon for sum gills and crappies prolly gunna go to gp, just wondering wat the conditions are,as far as slush and if theres fish there. hes never ice fished before so im hopen to get him hooked on the hard water like we all are.
thanks
if there there ill catch em

Offline darkdoug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • What? ANOTHER wind flag? @!*/ !
« Reply #247 on: Jan 30, 2011, 05:57 AM »
hey fellow hard water enthusiast im bringing a friend out tomarrow afternoon for sum gills and crappies prolly gunna go to gp, just wondering wat the conditions are,as far as slush and if theres fish there. hes never ice fished before so im hopen to get him hooked on the hard water like we all are.
thanks
Hey GCatcher. I'm heading for Oneida right now for a long walk, but yesterday was totally awesome at GP. If your getting a new guy going, might better go where 50 + fish days keep him busy. Spikes far out fished my new plastics, but just keep it small and you will do great. Magic spot was 7 fow.

Offline gill catcher13126

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #248 on: Jan 30, 2011, 06:12 AM »
thx for the info doug i really appreciate it. hopefully i can get him sum fish and get him hooked on it  :icefish: :thumbsup:
if there there ill catch em

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #249 on: Jan 30, 2011, 07:19 AM »
There aren't too many guys that wouldn't let you borrow their auger if you asked. As long as you keep in out of the sand... ;D

thats true but i learned the hard way if a man needs holes drilled you drill for them, once i let a guy borrow mine he drilled one hole and banged it on the ice and i was left with a auger needing a new set of blades ,i have drilled lots of holes for other guys i don't mind doing it at all ,but thats just me

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #250 on: Jan 30, 2011, 07:36 AM »
I agree ,blades cost too much.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #251 on: Jan 30, 2011, 07:56 AM »
I agree ,blades cost too much.

hey bud hows the pack ?

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #252 on: Jan 30, 2011, 09:12 AM »
The Pack has been tough this year. Not many walleye. The perch bite has been on and off too. I have about 60 hrs. in there with not much to show.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #253 on: Jan 30, 2011, 09:57 AM »
The Pack has been tough this year. Not many walleye. The perch bite has been on and off too. I have about 60 hrs. in there with not much to show.

ya but there big

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #254 on: Jan 30, 2011, 10:15 AM »
Fished GP yesterday from 8-2, 52 keepers.  I'm gonna try to post pics.  Thought I saw a IS sweatshirt on someone not too far from me.  Met a couple guys in the lot that fished Wigwam, said it was a zoo, and they were just checking out the bay.  They wanted to see my fish, one said "it's ok I'm not DEC." I laughed said who cares the 52 is almost half & half perch & Gills.  Not a limit, but nearly a bucketfull so good day.  He said "whoa you got those here?"  he even had to pickup one for a closer look saying looks like it came from Oneida.  Biggest so far this yr from the Pond @ 9 3/8"  Gotta love HUGE gills & Sunnies.
Slush not so bad in the middle, lots of the middle is solid with none.  However near shore 8-12" of slop for a good 100+ yards. 
The bite is certainly mid-winter pattern.  Lots of people complaining they only got a dozen or so.  The only ones you'll easily notice are the dinks.  The slobs, pay attention........ Even the perch. I wound up with 11 at 10" or better, they too not so aggressive.  Tried several rigs, not really one thing better than another.  Plastics did ok, Lost 3 fiskas, got lazy & didn't re-tie as often as I should've.
Good luck.

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #255 on: Jan 30, 2011, 11:34 AM »
Fished GP yesterday from 8-2, 52 keepers.  I'm gonna try to post pics.  Thought I saw a IS sweatshirt on someone not too far from me.  Met a couple guys in the lot that fished Wigwam, said it was a zoo, and they were just checking out the bay.  They wanted to see my fish, one said "it's ok I'm not DEC." I laughed said who cares the 52 is almost half & half perch & Gills.  Not a limit, but nearly a bucketfull so good day.  He said "whoa you got those here?"  he even had to pickup one for a closer look saying looks like it came from Oneida.  Biggest so far this yr from the Pond @ 9 3/8"  Gotta love HUGE gills & Sunnies.
Slush not so bad in the middle, lots of the middle is solid with none.  However near shore 8-12" of slop for a good 100+ yards. 
The bite is certainly mid-winter pattern.  Lots of people complaining they only got a dozen or so.  The only ones you'll easily notice are the dinks.  The slobs, pay attention........ Even the perch. I wound up with 11 at 10" or better, they too not so aggressive.  Tried several rigs, not really one thing better than another.  Plastics did ok, Lost 3 fiskas, got lazy & didn't re-tie as often as I should've.
Good luck.
Hey next time say *HEY I am BCONS* nice to meet you ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) i paid $75.00 for that sweat shirt so i might as well use it. it smells like fish ;D ;D ;D ;D
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline WaynefromMaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout and about
« Reply #256 on: Jan 30, 2011, 11:40 AM »
  Hey Kevin is that chris holding that pike ??
Enjoy the pleasure of others pleasure

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #257 on: Jan 30, 2011, 01:17 PM »
Hey next time say *HEY I am BCONS* nice to meet you ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) i paid $75.00 for that sweat shirt so i might as well use it. it smells like fish ;D ;D ;D ;D
Sorry bout that, I was REALLY late getting off the ice.  Counted my fish had 47, wasn't leaving without 50, and frustrated as S&^%.  Lost 3 pigs at the hole in 15 minutes, right around that time. .  The extra 2 came jigging my tipup holes while packing up.
Didn't notice you till you walked about 40 yards west to sit on the bucket jigging that old hole around 1:30.  I was in the Eskimo quickfish another 40 yards west of that hole.

Anyone else notice the colors of the Perch in there this yr?  Or is it just me?  Got 2 blue dinks yesterday (not quite blue enough for a good pic), a couple more with stripes barely visable, and it seemed half or more of the 6-8" fish were much blacker than yrs past or perch from the other end of the pond.

Offline weels

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #258 on: Jan 30, 2011, 03:01 PM »
Good luck.

Lets see them photos!!!
Fish heads, fish heads.
Rolie polie fish heads.
 Fish heads, fish heads, eat em' up.
Yum.

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #259 on: Jan 30, 2011, 04:05 PM »
Lets see them photos!!!
Here's an attempt at one from my phone, sorry bout the quality.  1st timer trying to post pic.
[img] http://s1026.photobucket.com/albums/y325/bcons1/?action=view&current=0129111430.jpg [img]

Also realized nothing to give fish scale, but I guess look at the skirt to my shanty, It's what 7-8"? Don't know sorry again, new to posting pics.  :-\

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #260 on: Jan 30, 2011, 07:14 PM »
ok next time tell me that you needed 3 more fish and i will help you with that problem ;D ;D
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline crayfishbob

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #261 on: Jan 30, 2011, 08:09 PM »

bcons ,   Somehow the forward slash got missing from your post. Here's the pic. Nice catch !

Retired , but still recovering ice fishing addict.

Offline weels

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #262 on: Jan 31, 2011, 08:38 AM »
NICE!!
Thanks for sharing.
 - W
Fish heads, fish heads.
Rolie polie fish heads.
 Fish heads, fish heads, eat em' up.
Yum.

Offline Pantucci

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #263 on: Jan 31, 2011, 09:16 AM »
Hello to all on iceshanty.com! 
First time out to Sandy Pond on Sat--I've been fishing Canadarago the last few years--they have some huge perch, but the bite is pretty slow going much of the time.  Really enjoyed the constant action--caught about 30 keepers and over 100 dinks using minnows, spikes, perch eyes and small pieces of a charteuse grub tail.  And a really cool black lab stopped by and hung out with us for a while.  Great day on the ice!  Can't wait to try out the pond in the summer!

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #264 on: Jan 31, 2011, 09:28 AM »
ok next time tell me that you needed 3 more fish and i will help you with that problem ;D ;D
Oh yeah that'll help smartaz  ::)  :P  thanx! I know you're in the running for "his majesty of the pond", but one of these days I'll say hello, & I'll be loaning you the fish  :flex:

Offline FishTank19

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #265 on: Jan 31, 2011, 09:54 AM »
That black labs name is Nell, she is a pond local and always comes out and visits the fisherman.. She has been coming to visit me for about the past 5 years consistantly. She is a very nice pup!

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #266 on: Jan 31, 2011, 10:33 AM »
We saw Nell too, she was with us for a good 10 minutes.....what a sweet dog! 

Too bad she didn't bring us much luck in the fishing department......

BTW, when someone posts they "fished at GP" what does that mean???   I am not a Sandy Pond regular.

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #267 on: Jan 31, 2011, 10:48 AM »
We saw Nell too, she was with us for a good 10 minutes.....what a sweet dog! 

Too bad she didn't bring us much luck in the fishing department......

BTW, when someone posts they "fished at GP" what does that mean???   I am not a Sandy Pond regular.

A mile or 2 North of "Nell"  ;) Green Point Marina. 

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #268 on: Jan 31, 2011, 10:52 AM »
Nell is the coolest dog Ive ever seen. She smelled us cooking dogs a couple weeks back and it was best friends from that moment on haha
It'll eat.

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #269 on: Jan 31, 2011, 11:39 AM »
A mile or 2 North of "Nell"  ;) Green Point Marina. 

Thanks Bcons!  Going to need the sled.

Otto

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.