The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Maine order traditions  (Read 1916 times)

Offline MikeOGNR

• IceShanty Rookie
Maine order traditions
« on: Feb 01, 2023, 05:23 PM »
Too all Mainers what would you say our some traditional hunting and fishing related things that are typically mostly only practiced in Maine? Examples

Smelt Camps
Trolling streamers for salmon
Tracking bucks on snow.

Offline 413iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Maine order traditions
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2023, 05:36 PM »
Red hot dogs and brook trout

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2023, 05:40 PM »
Cribbage

Offline MikeOGNR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2023, 05:59 PM »
Red hot dogs and brook trout

I totally forgot about the red hot dogs they indeed are the best

Offline MikeOGNR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2023, 06:04 PM »
Buddy who lives in bar harbor says Allen’s coffee brandy is big along with something called whipping twigs where they collect twigs in a bundle if you get 25 they give you a dollar don’t know what that use the twigs for but seems interesting along with fiddlehead picking

Offline Bosshog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2023, 06:10 PM »
Fiddle heads brook trout and Saturday night baked beans.
Bait goes on the hook... hook goes in the water...smelt is in the water...OUR SMELT!!!

Offline mzhoward

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2023, 07:21 PM »
Gitcherdeeahyet!

No d’you?

Offline Sherpa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2023, 07:34 PM »
Copper Penny Cinnamon Whiskey. Used to be whoopie Pies. Maine blueberry pie. Surf Clamming in the snow. Going Upta Camp

Offline Wallace3716

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2023, 09:34 PM »
Buddy who lives in bar harbor says Allen’s coffee brandy is big along with something called whipping twigs where they collect twigs in a bundle if you get 25 they give you a dollar don’t know what that use the twigs for but seems interesting along with fiddlehead picking

Sounds like Dylan outdoors. Used to love his YouTube stuff but I think he was further down east than bar harbor.

https://youtu.be/sbmyBAYyPqE

Offline Wago14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2023, 07:25 AM »
Canned Brown bread with your beans, red hot dogs for sure.

Those delicious little bites of heaven (needhams).

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2023, 02:10 PM »
Although we can't do it these days shipping the first Atlantic Salmon of the year caught on the Penobscot to the president.  Started with Taft in 1912 and the last one went to Bush Senior.  Perhaps with enough effort invested in environmental restoration it can be done again. It's a lot more profitable and easier to trash something than clean it up but there is still hope. 

Offline geofisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2023, 06:09 PM »
Polling canoes, the big motor canoes (Grand Lakers), and the landlocked salmon and partridge cast and blast were all new to me coming from West Virginia and Wyoming.

The tradition of public access to private land like in Maine also is pretty special.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2023, 06:20 PM »
geofisherman   
                  Its nice to know these special  facks in Maine are Recognized by folks like you! Welcome to Maine

Offline Fin Reaper

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Expect the unexspected"
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2023, 11:23 AM »
     YUP, Grew up on Saturday night beans, red snappers, coleslaw and home made biscuits/yeast rolls.
  Hated it when I was a kid.  Always wanted pizza.  Today, I would kill for that meal along with a good boiled ham dinner w/ all the fixings.

Also, My mother also made wild Rasberry pie, Bread Pudding, soft molasses cookies and Blue Berry cake.
     Sorry, all I could come up with is food.  Now i'm hungry.

Offline Bosshog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2023, 12:19 PM »
Anyone remember the term "scridge"?
Grammie do you have another piece of pie? I might have just a scridge.
Bait goes on the hook... hook goes in the water...smelt is in the water...OUR SMELT!!!

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 04, 2023, 12:27 PM »
Anyone remember the term "scridge"?
Grammie do you have another piece of pie? I might have just a scridge.

Yes, but growing up on the coast it was called "smidge "🙂

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live on for those that have been lost.
« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2023, 01:08 PM »
Maybe not just an "Old Maine Tradition" but one the "Maine Boys" taught me was right after getting your deer in the Fall hunt, you cut those inside tenderloins from the freshly killed deer and cook them in a hot cast iron skillet with butter, green pepper, onion and mushrooms. Mind you do not overcook the tenderloins, pre-cook the the onion, green pepper and mushrooms, then add the venison tenderloins and cook about three minutes turning halfway through the cook time.  Add salt and pepper and serve, absolutely delicious!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #17 on: Feb 04, 2023, 01:16 PM »
Maybe not just an "Old Maine Tradition" but one the "Maine Boys" taught me was right after getting your deer in the Fall hunt, you cut those inside tenderloins from the freshly killed deer and cook them in a hot cast iron skillet with butter, green pepper, onion and mushrooms. Mind you do not overcook the tenderloins, pre-cook the the onion, green pepper and mushrooms, then add the venison tenderloins and cook about three minutes turning halfway through the cook time.  Add salt and pepper and serve, absolutely delicious!

Yup. Even the outer loins/chops. I usually cook 'em 3 minutes...total. Still gotta have some blood in there. Over cooked?  :sick:
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline darby74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 04, 2023, 01:27 PM »
Long story as short as possible, back in the mid 90's my father and I were hunting with the guy that taught me to hubt the Allagash.   Came across 3 guys from Connecticut that had shot a small bull.  We were bird hunting, but helped them get it to the road and Dale asked "You guys need help dressing the moose?"  They looked at each other, and 1 guy said "yeah, this is a first for us."  "Darby ,grab you knife"  I was only 21, so dressed the moose, and then Dale asked "Do you guys know the glands the biologists want to test for mercury?" They shook their heads, he went over and cut out both loins, put them in a bag and told them he knew one in Presque Isle, and would drop them off.  My father and I didn't say a word.  Got a mile down the road and Dad looked at Dale and said "Really, seems kind of harsh?"  Dale replied "Serves them right, we're circling back for the heart in an hour."  We ate well at camp, not sure if they ever figured it out

Offline Bosshog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 04, 2023, 02:55 PM »
I have also heard the term smidge, Lee , Springfield area not sure anywhere else it was scridge. Good ole grammie always had a slice though.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #20 on: Feb 05, 2023, 09:44 AM »
Long story as short as possible, back in the mid 90's my father and I were hunting with the guy that taught me to hubt the Allagash.   Came across 3 guys from Connecticut that had shot a small bull.  We were bird hunting, but helped them get it to the road and Dale asked "You guys need help dressing the moose?"  They looked at each other, and 1 guy said "yeah, this is a first for us."  "Darby ,grab you knife"  I was only 21, so dressed the moose, and then Dale asked "Do you guys know the glands the biologists want to test for mercury?" They shook their heads, he went over and cut out both loins, put them in a bag and told them he knew one in Presque Isle, and would drop them off.  My father and I didn't say a word.  Got a mile down the road and Dad looked at Dale and said "Really, seems kind of harsh?"  Dale replied "Serves them right, we're circling back for the heart in an hour."  We ate well at camp, not sure if they ever figured it out
That’s brutal haha Christ.

Offline Fish Wayniac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 05, 2023, 04:32 PM »

I also cut the inner loins out when the deer is swinging in my shed. I like to take them out before they dry out and it a reward for the work . 🦌

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.