The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Strikemaster 40v 10” cutting out at end of cut. Normal? UPDATE w ION VIDEO  (Read 8169 times)

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
Strikemaster 40v question. I just ran my new SM 40v 10” lite for the first time. The auger would cut out / quit at the bottom of the hole. No pressure, light, medium. Didn’t matter. Normal? Anyone else experience this or have a different experience!! Watched a bunch of videos and they didn’t seem to cut out.

Here’s the footage if anyone is interested in seeing how it cut!

Ion footage!!
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Re: Strikemaster 40v 10” cutting out at end of cut. Normal??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2023, 05:37 PM »
Never had an issue. Hunh!!! Three years so far. One time I forgot to charge it. After about 20 holes in 16+", I had to put in the back up battery. I've punched around 50 holes in deep ice. Bogs down a little if ya get slushed and don't pull it while drilling
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline dr cusk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2023, 05:52 PM »
Maybe your hand came off the safety switch as you got to the bottom?  I haven’t had that stall out issue with mine but have had some instances where it wouldn’t kick on as the safety wasn’t all the way depressed….usually when it’s zero and I can’t feel my fingers….oh and get ready for the 10” hole haters to jump on you…haha!!

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2023, 06:01 PM »
The wider those holes the heavier and more resistents it puts on Battery.!!!!

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2023, 06:10 PM »
How come I haven’t heard about the 10” lite til now?

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2023, 06:26 PM »
How come I haven’t heard about the 10” lite til now?
Just came out this year. Effortless cut until the last inch!!
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2023, 06:29 PM »
Maybe your hand came off the safety switch as you got to the bottom?  I haven’t had that stall out issue with mine but have had some instances where it wouldn’t kick on as the safety wasn’t all the way depressed….usually when it’s zero and I can’t feel my fingers….oh and get ready for the 10” hole haters to jump on you…haha!!
It happened on several of the holes. Out of the first 20, 10-12 cut out. Then had a run without any, but was in less ice than the first 20.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2023, 07:17 PM »
I agree with Dr. Cusk. If the safety button is similar to last year's powerhead, (square button) it can be very sensitive and cut out with very slight release of pressure. Mine would cut out until I figured out the cause and made a conscious effort to hold it down.

Offline darby74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2023, 07:29 PM »
Could be safety switch like mentioned.  You said it's new, did you charge it to full the first time?  Have heard that if only partial charge the first time, the battery can get that "memory" and not work correctly.  3 years, never had that issue with mine.  Even with a 10" hole, it's kicked the crap out of all the drill augers I've been up against that only have to go 7" ;D. Unlike some though, I say "Use whatever you prefer, not for me to judge🤔  Hopefully it's just getting used to safety button and trigger.   Good luck

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2023, 08:13 PM »
Could be safety switch like mentioned.  You said it's new, did you charge it to full the first time?  Have heard that if only partial charge the first time, the battery can get that "memory" and not work correctly.  3 years, never had that issue with mine.  Even with a 10" hole, it's kicked the crap out of all the drill augers I've been up against that only have to go 7" ;D. Unlike some though, I say "Use whatever you prefer, not for me to judge🤔  Hopefully it's just getting used to safety button and trigger.   Good luck

I agree with Dr. Cusk. If the safety button is similar to last year's powerhead, (square button) it can be very sensitive and cut out with very slight release of pressure. Mine would cut out until I figured out the cause and made a conscious effort to hold it down.

Yes, fully charged. Short walk. 30 degrees. It did much better in slightly less ice. May be user error too, with the safety switch. Was just surprised after running their Lazer Pro 10" 3 hp gas auger for nearly 10 years, and lite flite since they came out. I'll pop another round in a day or so.

Offline pikehater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2023, 02:32 PM »
This is what mine was doing before something let loose inside.  Now you can hear the motor working but there is no drive to the auger pin.  It's like something is stripped.  Only two seasons old with little use really.  I've talked to Strikemaster, H2Outfitters (their primary service center in MN), and googled everywhere.  No one has ever heard of this type of issue.  Now it sits at the local Strikemaster service center.  Haven't heard anything in two weeks.
“Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not fish they are after.”

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2023, 02:36 PM »
This is what mine was doing before something let loose inside.  Now you can hear the motor working but there is no drive to the auger pin.  It's like something is stripped.  Only two seasons old with little use really.  I've talked to Strikemaster, H2Outfitters (their primary service center in MN), and googled everywhere.  No one has ever heard of this type of issue.  Now it sits at the local Strikemaster service center.  Haven't heard anything in two weeks.
My 18v Ridgid Octane + 8” SM LF is leaps and bounds ahead of this unit. Granted, I know the gearing is different, and a difference between the 8” and 10”, but it was no where near what I was expecting. And I ran my old 10” steel SM gas auger bit on my octane and it cut better than my new 40v. My guts telling me there is something wrong with the unit. Doesn’t feel right. Landed on returning it. Just deciding on exchanging it for another 40v, or go with the Ion Alpha Plus.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2023, 02:45 PM »
My 18v Ridgid Octane + 8” SM LF is leaps and bounds ahead of this unit. Granted, I know the gearing is different, and a difference between the 8” and 10”, but it was no where near what I was expecting. And I ran my old 10” steel SM gas auger bit on my octane and it cut better than my new 40v. My guts telling me there is something wrong with the unit. Doesn’t feel right. Landed on returning it. Just deciding on exchanging it for another 40v, or go with the Ion Alpha Plus.
From everything I’ve read and seen I’d go with the Ion no question. 

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2023, 06:42 PM »
From everything I’ve read and seen I’d go with the Ion no question.
I’m leaning that way

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2023, 09:04 PM »
Do the blades look good? I had a similar issue after running my blades through some seriously sandy ice the first year I got mine.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2023, 04:34 AM »
I’m leaning that way

Stop farting around then Josh, at $600 , I'm waiting for you to be the Guinea pig!  😁  I agree with you on the octane although I have it with the jiffy torch,  my son and his buddies have beat the crap out of that package,  no problems. Chipper blades over these finicky shaver blades are my preference.   I just my have to risk with the alpha plus, 10" hole .😎

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2023, 06:51 AM »
I can't help you because I'm still running the Nils/Tanaka combo.
If you fish the wrong lure long and hard enough it will eventually become the right lure!

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2023, 06:58 AM »
Do the blades look good? I had a similar issue after running my blades through some seriously sandy ice the first year I got mine.
Yes. Brand new, out of the box.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 19, 2023, 06:59 AM »
Stop farting around then Josh, at $600 , I'm waiting for you to be the Guinea pig!  😁  I agree with you on the octane although I have it with the jiffy torch,  my son and his buddies have beat the crap out of that package,  no problems. Chipper blades over these finicky shaver blades are my preference.   I just my have to risk with the alpha plus, 10" hole .😎
The 10” Alpha Plus is en route. Good deal at Sportsman Guide for $570. Should be here in 4-5 days.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2023, 07:01 AM »
The 10” Alpha Plus is en route. Good deal at Sportsman Guide for $570. Should be here in 4-5 days.
You got the 10” alpha for $570? 😲

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 19, 2023, 07:15 AM »

I wish you had said something, I have the membership, even cheaper.  Other place I'm contemplating is pro fishing supply but just worried its a scam.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 19, 2023, 07:49 AM »
I wish you had said something, I have the membership, even cheaper.  Other place I'm contemplating is pro fishing supply but just worried its a scam.

You got the 10” alpha for $570? 😲

I got the membership on this order. Came to 540ish with the membership discount. And I saw a few other sites had them on sale, but didn’t recognize them, so I went with SG.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #22 on: Jan 19, 2023, 10:12 AM »

I got the membership on this order. Came to 540ish with the membership discount. And I saw a few other sites had them on sale, but didn’t recognize them, so I went with SG.
Smokin deal. Pretty sure most places the alpha is over 700

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 19, 2023, 10:43 AM »

I buy most of my gear from SG, my wife would say too much. ;D  Just shows up in good time, no problems.  Between there and Amazon prime, I never have to go to Walmart and look at all the pajama wearers! :sick:

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Jan 19, 2023, 11:05 AM »

Did use use coupon code : HEGSHOT87 for $20 off @ SG

If not contact them ...they may add it or have you cancel the order and then just reorder .

Also Scheels Thorne Bros and FishUSA all price match ..
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 19, 2023, 12:30 PM »
Smokin deal. Pretty sure most places the alpha is over 700
Scheels was 630 before going out of stock. Amazon was 620. SG was the cheapest I saw

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 19, 2023, 12:30 PM »
I buy most of my gear from SG, my wife would say too much. ;D  Just shows up in good time, no problems.  Between there and Amazon prime, I never have to go to Walmart and look at all the pajama wearers! :sick:

Haha

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 19, 2023, 12:31 PM »
Did use use coupon code : HEGSHOT87 for $20 off @ SG

If not contact them ...they may add it or have you cancel the order and then just reorder .

Also Scheels Thorne Bros and FishUSA all price match ..
I used a different code and got 10% off. Didn’t see the one you mentioned

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Jan 19, 2023, 12:41 PM »
I used a different code and got 10% off. Didn’t see the one you mentioned

Do you remember the 10% off code by chance ...buddy looking to make a big purchase soon.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 19, 2023, 01:48 PM »
Code SG4252 for 10%. Lots of ice stuff on sale.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.