The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: East Musquash Lake, Topsfield  (Read 3928 times)

Offline phoebes

• IceShanty Rookie
East Musquash Lake, Topsfield
« on: Dec 09, 2005, 08:55 AM »
Hello To All,
I have been a quite observer of this forum for several seasons now.  Seems like a great bunch of sportsman/women with a wealth of information and experience. Have any of you had the opportunity to fish East Musquash Lake in Topsfield, Maine.  Good luck to you all on the rapidly approaching hardwater fishing season. Let the flags fly and rod tips bend!

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
Re: East Musquash Lake, Topsfield
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2005, 11:44 AM »
welcome to Iceshanty Maine lone wolfe...pull up a bucket and warm your feet!! good snowy day to jump in the sahnty

Offline The Voice o Reason

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2005, 12:11 PM »
I have fished East Musqoush many times and have stayed at the Birches. It's sporadic. Times we have caught some really nice ones. They stocked some brood stock brookies in there a while back, the salmon population is alright, but mostly people fish for the big togues. Nice lake, but due to location the wind rips right down there.
West Musqoush is the place to go. Super fat togue. Little harder to get to, but it's a great lake.

Maine Dog, As far as Forest City is concerned, where are you located in town? I'm very familiar with town and the locals.

Offline phoebes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2005, 12:51 PM »
I actually live in South Portland.  There is 15 of us that get together to icefish a different lake each year during Martin Luther king weekend.  Last year we went up to Pleasant lake in Island Falls. The first day we were up there it was 55F and raining.  My traps kept blowing out of the holes and zipping across the lake.  The next two days the fishing was great. I must have caught and released 2 dozen salmon ranging from sub-legal to 20".  The largest fish caught was 23"-3.5lbs. This year we thought we would give East Musquash a try.  We will be staying at the Birches. I have heard that West Musquash is a beautiful lake with some decent fishing.

Offline The Voice o Reason

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2005, 03:12 PM »
Yes. It's a great area. If you guys have some snowmobiles try West Musqaush for a day. The Togue are giant in there and it receives little pressure.
One big issue you might have on East is the wind.
Right off the point from the birches is not too bad. Ask the owner Gil, he might put you into some good spots.
Another hot spot of course if where all the locals have their shacks. Deep hole, good for togue.
Don't be afraid to fish right off the picnic area either. I have caught numerous salmon there.
Good luck.

Worst case scenario take a day trip to East Grand and catch your limit.

Offline Corso

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2005, 08:45 AM »
you just never know do ya? im convinced its a smelt situation...take Deering lake for instance(which is a few rocks throw from EGrand) we used to do dip smelts goin into this...now theyve stopped allowing smelting there(yrs now) and Baboooooom...nice salmon being caught...i cant help thinking that the salmon are still plentiful at EGrand as well..BUT..with the alewives now in there..stradegy changes i guess...as im no longer fishing "just under the ice" and have been getting ALOT better numbers...back to the post..BIG TOGUE in E Musquash!

Offline Toastie

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Be a giver
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2005, 07:13 AM »
Ditto on that Lone Wolfe---could somebody tell me what a touge is---I'm from R.I. and was introduced to ice fishing about three years ago and I now I'm ready for the big time.---Nice to see people talking about lakes other than the usual big two or three. 

Offline Corso

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2005, 07:37 AM »
Togue=Lake Trout...i believe that some out your way call them MACS  :-\

Fish On!

Offline Toastie

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Be a giver
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2005, 07:45 AM »
Togue=Lake Trout...i believe that some out your way call them MACS  :-\