The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: What do you do for auger tune-up  (Read 2025 times)

Offline Hoppes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2021 Hardwater - Another Maine Super Season
What do you do for auger tune-up
« on: Dec 05, 2005, 04:51 PM »
  As I gazed lovingly on my Jiffy auger leaning against the garage wall I wondered if it was time for a tune-up.  Thing was awful cold blooded last year on ice fishing trips.  Any of you do annual tune-ups of sorts?  Change to a hotter plug?  Am running the 100:1 oil like last year.  No smoke and oil out the exhaust.  I live in Topsham and even though I'm fairly good with small engines I thought I take her over to Brunswick Lawn and Garden and have those boys give her some care.  They treat me well and are quite knowledgeable.  Any suggestions???
Hoppes
Hunting and fishing!  God's gift to mankind
Strike master 40 V Electric
Otter Insulated
2019 Ski Doo Expedition
Jack Traps

Offline TogueHunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: What do you do for auger tune-up
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2005, 05:56 PM »
Here's what I do to my auger before I go out, and I have had the same auger for 10 years now without a problem.

1. Install a new plug new plug, and buy a spare and make sure you have a sparplug wrench with you.  When you buy a new plug I would stay with the recommended plug for your particular engine.  A parts store can look that up for you if you're not sure.

2. Drain the gas tank and rinse out any crud and water/ice from it. It's easy enough with an auger to just tip it upside down for this and catch the gas in a coffee can.

3. Unscrew the float bowl underneath the carb and rinse/blow it out.  Be careful when you do this that you don't lose the needle valve, but if you don't mess with the float itself the needle valve should stay in place. 

4. Remove the breather cover over the carb and wipe/blow the front of the carb with compressed air. 
You didn't say what kind of an auger you have but if you  see a small foam air filter (usually green) you should either replace it, or rinse it out well with gasoline and let it dry before putting it in.

5. Fill it up with fresh gas, and you should be good to go on the engine.

6.  Look for a filler plug on the gearbox, of you have one, remove it and stick your finger in the hole. You should feel lubricant.  If you can't you should add some gear oil, but don't overfill it... just high enough that you can reach it with your finger is fine.

7. Last check your cutting blade for bent sections and take care of those.   If it's got lots of dings and nicks you may need to use a file and dress it up slightly but go easy on it so you don't mess up the blade angle.  Try to stay with the original blade angle on any filing you do.

If any of this makes you squeamish, then I would definitely take it to a professional!

One of the other things I feel I should mention is that it's a good practice to warm up your engine before you start cutting.  I've seen guys crank up a cold engine and start right in.  IMHO, you should always warm it up before you put a load on it.
Are you SURE it's safe to walk on? Looks questionable to me!

Offline Niner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2005, 06:24 PM »
Hoppes,

Newer Jiffy?

Mine was cold blooded for a season or two.  I emailed them and they advised me which adjustments to make to the air and gas mixture screws.

It rips now.

I drain the gas in the spring.  Put a new plug in it, and carry two spares.  I just started running the synthetic oil last season.  great stuff.

Offline TogueHunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2005, 06:25 PM »
I just started running the synthetic oil last season.  great stuff.

What brand/ratio?
Are you SURE it's safe to walk on? Looks questionable to me!

Offline yukoncornelius

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2005, 08:02 AM »
good stuff here, thanks...printing this one out!

Offline Fish Monger

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Maine
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2005, 09:09 AM »
nothing..... I pull the cord and let her rip   ;D

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2005, 09:23 AM »
nothing..... I pull the cord and let her rip   ;D
iam surprised you didnt say keep your father inlaw away from it
in god we trust

Offline Niner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2005, 11:20 AM »
Per the advice of my boat motor mechanic......he said to run it at whatever your auger calls for.

as far as brand......I don't recall what I was dumping in last season.  but that reminds me i have to get to the hardware store and pick some up :o

Offline chillywillie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2005, 02:37 PM »
My auger is over ten years old.  Never done anything including changing the plug.  I did take the gearbox apart last weekend and put some fresh grease in.  The synthetic oil is much better.  I started using it last season and won't use anything else now.

Offline Corso

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2005, 06:12 AM »
the first 5 years..nothing..no new plug..nothing...the last couple yrs..i take it to a small engine repair shop and have them do a onceover(re:Hoppes) and they charge me around $30..im dropping it off today lol..itll be ready by Belgrade area ice...im dreaming of an ICE christmas...ps guys..thanks for the frabil iceshack tip at Mardens!

Offline Slacktide

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2005, 12:35 PM »
Hey Hoppes I recently moved to Bowdoinham and was wondering where brunswick L&g is? Do they sell augers? If I don't buy a new one I am going to have a pro tune my old jiffy. In the past I have had a hard time finding people to work on augers. Where is a good spot in this area to buy Ice fishing equip. and bait? I hope you don't mind me asking ques. on your post, if you do sorry!

Offline Hoppes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2021 Hardwater - Another Maine Super Season
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2005, 06:17 PM »
Heck no I don't mind, for those asking my Jiffy was new three years ago.  I usually buy my bait from Jim's Bait Shop on 196, just past Townline Auto.  Jim's has quite a bit of ice fishing gear also.  Is he open this year is my question.  Stone's Pet store in Lewiston has a great selection of ice fishing gear and is a good bait shop also.  Brunswick Home and Garden is just off Pleasant Street, 26 Stanwood St.  Go past Brunswick Ford towards downtown, last light where the road splits going to Rt 1 and downtown will be the junction of Stanwood and Pleasant.  Knowledgeable people run the shop.  Thank you all for the auger advice.  Enjoyed reading it all.
Hoppes
Hunting and fishing!  God's gift to mankind
Strike master 40 V Electric
Otter Insulated
2019 Ski Doo Expedition
Jack Traps

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.