The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: St A Bay Wednesday 2/21: anyone?  (Read 15481 times)

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
Re: St A Bay Wednesday 2/21: anyone?
« Reply #120 on: Mar 02, 2018, 02:16 PM »
I just got wind from Crayfish2 that the ice is looking very grim and sketchy. If anyone else can confirm or otherwise, please let us all know.
Thanks.
Chasing Ice

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #121 on: Mar 02, 2018, 02:50 PM »
Ice Fiend told me that there is 6 to 7 inches of ice inside the point with 4 to 5 inches off of the point. Ice around old holes is only about 3 to 4 inches. I called Bayside Bait and Tackle and they said that there were a couple people out there today, but they do not recommend going out there. Doesn't sound good at all.  :(
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline sonny88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #122 on: Mar 02, 2018, 03:13 PM »
I drove up through the islands today on business. No one was fishing either side of sandbar or in Keeler's Bay. The Gut is 60% open water and all of the north end is open, no ice. There were a few people fishing Carry Bay  and in front of Holliday but there is a lot of open water out in front of Holiday. Dillenback didn't look bad from the road but no one was fishing there. One constant everywhere was lots of erosion on the shoreline. Depending on where you want to go on the ice you're looking at 4-6' of open water to cross. Unless it gets a lot colder soon i think we're done.

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • im a die hard ice fishing addict 'nuff said
« Reply #123 on: Mar 02, 2018, 03:58 PM »
I got out there and promptly got my butt right off I’m going to carry bay tomorrow if anyone wants to join
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline CJiceaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #124 on: Mar 02, 2018, 05:05 PM »
I drove up through the islands today on business. No one was fishing either side of sandbar or in Keeler's Bay. The Gut is 60% open water and all of the north end is open, no ice. There were a few people fishing Carry Bay  and in front of Holliday but there is a lot of open water out in front of Holiday. Dillenback didn't look bad from the road but no one was fishing there. One constant everywhere was lots of erosion on the shoreline. Depending on where you want to go on the ice you're looking at 4-6' of open water to cross. Unless it gets a lot colder soon i think we're done.

We are staying on the south side of the gut. We brought some plank material and are able to get out on about a foot of ice, the wind is really opening stuff up. The north end is gone and if the wind keeps howling or it gets warm again the whole south side will be shot too. We have 14ft planks and it’s ok but an an 8-10 footer ain’t got do it now

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #125 on: Mar 02, 2018, 07:11 PM »
I got out there and promptly got my butt right off I’m going to carry bay tomorrow if anyone wants to join
Crayfish2 and I will be out there as well. Hopefully we'll have some good luck on the gills and seeds! Last time out on the hardwater for us this year unless the weather takes a turn. See you tomorrow Ice Fiend.
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline cbice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #126 on: Mar 02, 2018, 07:58 PM »
The shoreline at Carry is still solid.  It was the only place I saw this morning that looked safe.  I still didn't bother going.  I hadn't bought bait and glad I didn't.   The wind was cranking.  I was bummed to see the Gut wide open. 

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • im a die hard ice fishing addict 'nuff said
« Reply #127 on: Mar 02, 2018, 08:10 PM »
Yup I’ll be there I planned on fishing whites for docksides derby but I guess I’m going for northerns
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline got1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #128 on: Mar 06, 2018, 07:46 AM »
So how long do the whites stay in the bay in numbers? Is the ice going fast is a boat gonna be able to get in in the next week to 10 days?thanks..

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #129 on: Mar 06, 2018, 10:39 AM »
They hang around for quite a while.  We've caught them right in the same spot that people are ice-fishing them now well into May.  The thing I found with the boat, though, was that the school would scatter if the boat was directly over them.  Kind of tricky, but I think you need to find them and then back off a little ways and cast to them.

Also, I doubt if the bay will be boatable in the next week, unless we get some serious wind.  Pretty much the whole inland sea is still locked up so there's no place for the ice to go yet.

Offline HardWater518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #130 on: Mar 13, 2018, 08:40 PM »
Is the ice fishable at St. A? I haven't been on any ice in a few weeks. I'm sure it took a beating...

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
« Reply #131 on: Mar 14, 2018, 05:38 AM »
Is the ice fishable at St. A? I haven't been on any ice in a few weeks. I'm sure it took a beating...

Drove from st albans bay up to missisquoi yesterday.......saw one portable in st albans bay before hathaway pt rd. Quiet everywhere!

Since I didnt have boots or a spud bar I am not able to verify any access. The snow also didnt help.

Think it is over for me......best options now are up in the NEK if you are willing to travel.

Be safe out there!

Wdy
The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #132 on: Mar 14, 2018, 08:25 AM »
Drove from st albans bay up to missisquoi yesterday.......saw one portable in st albans bay before hathaway pt rd. Quiet everywhere!

Since I didnt have boots or a spud bar I am not able to verify any access. The snow also didnt help.

Think it is over for me......best options now are up in the NEK if you are willing to travel.

Be safe out there!

Wdy

Woody, thanks for the report! How did the shorelines look around St albans? Could you see ice toward the point?
Chasing Ice

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #133 on: Mar 14, 2018, 08:42 AM »
I drove around as well. Ice is accessible with boards BUT.....how much ice is out there?  And the snow is covering weak spots. Sucks...this weekend will make shore ice but the snow is insulating the junk ice.

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
« Reply #134 on: Mar 14, 2018, 09:33 AM »
Woody, thanks for the report! How did the shorelines look around St albans? Could you see ice toward the point?

With the snow on top it was difficult to gauge......in some places it looked like there was only a few feet of water, but the snow on the ice edges could easily be a few inches.  Could not see out by the point due to the low visibility because it was snowing.

Suppose one could get on the ice........the other issue is old holes that are now filled with snow that can't be seen. 

Hope it helps.....wdy
The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #135 on: Mar 14, 2018, 10:08 AM »
Striker suit, ice picks, a long rope, boards, and a friend standing on shore.  Who's in?

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #136 on: Mar 14, 2018, 10:22 AM »
Sitting today out......wind is brutal here at the house. Colder weather coming should make the shore better.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #137 on: Mar 14, 2018, 10:39 AM »
Striker suit, ice picks, a long rope, boards, and a friend standing on shore.  Who's in?

Matt, Ive got all of the above (except for the guy on shore, but tie a 100' rope to a tree... that'll do) and Im in for Sunday if its likely to be able to get on. 2hr drive for me, so I need more confirmation... BUT IM IN for one more white perch run!
Let me know if you want to get out!

Joe, If you read this, give me a holler
Chasing Ice

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #138 on: Mar 14, 2018, 10:56 AM »

Good luck guys stay dry!

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #139 on: Mar 14, 2018, 12:22 PM »
I was the only idiot out on the ice on Saturday off Hathaway point. Getting on was tricky, but wearing waders I could get on after getting in to about my knees on the north side of the point. Ice thickness varied from 6 inches to about 12, with the thinner ice around the open water at the north end of the point. There's a big crack in the usual spot, running off the tip of the point eastward out to the green can. I didn't get close to it, and I wouldn't, but it doesn't look like you could cross it anywhere, which rules out accessing anything north of it if you access from kilkare. You would need to get on near where I did if you are trying for north of the point, or walk down from the north somewhere. I am sure there are whites in there somewhere, but I wasn't able to find them.

Offline Lord_of_the_Perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #140 on: Mar 14, 2018, 06:36 PM »
Fished the last 8 days... today was probably my last. Everywhere I have fished, I have noticed the ice has degraded significantly. I cannot recommend a place to go without risk. 

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #141 on: Mar 18, 2018, 08:25 AM »
Went out to Kilkare/Hathaway yesterday morning (3/17). With the recent snow and cold weather, and conditions have improved. Accessed from the camps on Hathaway point, and fished the cove on the north side of the point, and also out toward the green can. There was a good 10-12 inches of ice, with a couple inches of snowy/slush/crust on top that was in the process of firming up. There was still open water in a very wide crack running from the point out to the green can, and perhaps beyond. This morning we had calm winds and lows around zero, so I would not be surprised if the crack froze over.

I drove past the kilkare access, and saw some footprints leading east from just north of the gate to the park, leading out toward hathway. I can't vouch for the thickness there, but it looked decent.

If you are interested in getting out there for whites, I would be optimistic, but still cautious. Forecast should continue to build more ice this week. Bring your ice spuds, a friend, and perhaps some rope, just in case. Drill frequent test holes. STAY AWAY FROM THE CRACK off hathaway point. Do not try and go around it either. Ice tends to be thin around the tip of the point as well, so swing wide if you walk out. There was no open water getting on the shoreline at kilkare or by the camps at hathaway on the north side.

We weren't able to find the whites, but we were only there a couple hours as the cold wind forced us off. They have to be there somewhere, perhaps in huge numbers, as they tend to thicken up and move shallower this time of the year. If you can find then, you may be rewarded with some big numbers.

Oh, and bring some sunscreen. :)

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #142 on: Mar 19, 2018, 10:24 AM »
I was out there Yesterday (Sunday 3/18). Shoreline ice had healed, we were able to walk on with no issue. The crack had skimmed over, but not safe to try and cross.
Like FishingWeatherman, we caught only 1 white perch, and it was small. Slammed dink yellows lol. I never saw a school of whites on my flasher all day. we were there from 8:00am -5:00pm We drilled tons of holes and fished south, east and north of the point. Fished from 8fow to 20fow and came home empty handed and sunburnt  :%$#!:. Wierd that they were that hard to find. good luck and dont be too brave around that crack.
Chasing Ice

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #143 on: Mar 19, 2018, 10:28 AM »
They've probably moved off the point and are staged closer to black bridge.
Typically they're near that area after just after ice out.
Best guess is to look towards the boat mooring area near the Hathaway boat launch and follow to the inner bay area to the river outlet.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #144 on: Mar 19, 2018, 04:18 PM »
I was out there Yesterday (Sunday 3/18). Shoreline ice had healed, we were able to walk on with no issue. The crack had skimmed over, but not safe to try and cross.
Like FishingWeatherman, we caught only 1 white perch, and it was small. Slammed dink yellows lol. I never saw a school of whites on my flasher all day. we were there from 8:00am -5:00pm We drilled tons of holes and fished south, east and north of the point. Fished from 8fow to 20fow and came home empty handed and sunburnt  :%$#!:. Wierd that they were that hard to find. good luck and dont be too brave around that crack.

That's frustrating...I may try after work this week and this weekend. Will post back later this week.

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #145 on: Mar 20, 2018, 08:56 AM »
That's frustrating...I may try after work this week and this weekend. Will post back later this week.
Thanks Matt. Yes, please report back. I wont be able to make a trip up this weekend (I've got UNCLE duty  ;D), but if the weather (and ice) holds, Im going to go up there for my final Bucket Ride on the 31st.
Good luck to you!
Chasing Ice

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #146 on: Mar 21, 2018, 08:42 AM »
I fished 8-2:30 Wed. 3/20, a dozen keeper yellows, bluebird day, couldn't find any whites.
When I'd left the ice there were 3 guys fishing close to the public boat launch but none were on any whites there either.
Covered a lot of ice, started out in front of the big yellow mansion on the shoreline leading to Hathaway Point, out in 12FOW, then went to 18FOW 2,000 yards from shore, then went to the drop off north of LLI and then out to the channel between the green can and LLI, hardly a fish to be found...nothing but nursery sized yellows every hole.

Steve Martell hadn't seen any whites for a while and only had 2 large ones brought in on Monday.
They're out there somewhere, but not sure if they've moved back out deeper near Burton or are gathering near black bridge.
Typically this late ice they cruise the shoreline from Hathaway Point to the public boat launch, and I checked every pin drop I've marked on Navionics the last 5 years I've caught whites on that shoreline and nothing on my flasher.

Not sure if they're in the shallow waters near black bridge, and that ice just reformed with this cold snap but looked too thin to venture onto...

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #147 on: Mar 21, 2018, 09:30 AM »
Whites were in there early this year, last week of January-first week of February was peak.
I woudnt waste my time, theyre near the rivers.
Couple weeks before that we were catching them near the sandbar by cowbanks
Champlain
Memphremagog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #148 on: Mar 21, 2018, 10:35 AM »
A few years ago we were pulling them off by the hundreds of pounds during the last week of March into the first week of April, from Hathaway point up to near the boat launch, close to shore. Not sure if they are changing their habits, or if we put a big dent in their population those years. Would be interesting to know if whites tend to spawn on the same areas they were born, like some fish. If so, the damage that was inflected a few years ago might explain this.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #149 on: Mar 21, 2018, 01:12 PM »
Last year was like that also. Maybe the numbers are depleting, that would be great but i doubt it.
Fish change patterns in lakes all the time. Just when you think you have them figured out.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.