Author Topic: Garmin Striker 4+ ice bundle  (Read 1714 times)

Offline Fonzie2

• IceShanty Rookie
Garmin Striker 4+ ice bundle
« on: Nov 22, 2023, 12:29 PM »
Ice Fishing Garmin Striker 4+ ice bundle

Does anybody use the Garmin Striker 4+ ice fishing bundle ?
I'm looking for opinions...

I like it's simplicity as I just need a graph/flasher. It has other features, but the price point is what I like.

Thinking of picking up this particular unit for when I get out with one of my sons, that way we'll each have our own graph.

(I have my old trusty Lowrance 4x Ice Machine for myself.)

Offline jeremywhorf

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Garmin Striker 4+ ice bundle
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2023, 07:24 PM »
Following this thread as well...

Currently, I have a Vexilar FL18 and am looking for other options.  I would like to use the "2nd unit" as a portable unit with my Raddison canoe.
I currently run Lowrance Hook Reveal 5X.  It is an ok unit, but looking to upgrade.

Can someone explain the benefits / drawbacks of using Garmin Striker 4+ compared to a Vexilar when ice fishing?

*I have been using my Vexilar for several years now with little complaints.

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy
Let your life proceed by its own designs
Nothing to tell now
Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2023, 08:15 PM »
Great unit, easy to use, graph or flasher mode, gps, can't beat it for the price.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2023, 08:44 PM »

Can someone explain the benefits / drawbacks of using Garmin Striker 4+ compared to a Vexilar when ice fishing?

The Vex is probably a bit more dialed in with regards to speed and target separation.  The Striker, or any other graph for that matter, gives you a lot more options as far as how you set up your display and it's all displayed vertically so it's very intuitive for vertical jigging.  Plus you've got a few seconds of past data on the screen which is nice when there's a lot of things moving around down there.  I personally keep mine zoomed in to the bottom 8' as I usually fish walleye and perch, and there is a bottom lock feature if you've got holes spread out over different depths.  You can split screen it with the whole water column on one side and a custom set zoom on the other, or even different frequencies on each side.  It has GPS so you can drop waypoints wherever you want, and when you're in the canoe you can even use it to make depth maps and use down imaging if you've got the right transducer.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2023, 08:52 PM »
Here's a brief sample.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Walks on Water

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2023, 09:01 AM »
The dual beam on the Striker is why my FL-18 mostly stays home. I'm usually in less than 20 fow and the 45 degree cones lets me see so much more.  The 15 degree is handy on slopes or other uneven signal-return situations, but if it is fairly flat the wide beam sees fish way further out and shows me how they are reacting. It also shows suspended fish better. I've seen a lot more fish cruising up high and reeled up to engage them.

I bought the summer unit and threw together my own caddy and saved some money.

Offline Fonzie2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2023, 12:19 PM »
Good info up thread.

The Striker4+ will be purchased soon.

Offline DawntoDusk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2023, 05:38 PM »
I have been using this bundle for the past 2 seasons. Excellent value for the price

Offline Fonzie2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 24, 2023, 08:22 PM »
Here's a brief sample.

That video is the exact reason I want to keep my kids hooked on a graph...

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 24, 2023, 08:34 PM »
I just bought the Striker 4 and iceducer separately. It was a lot cheaper than the kit. I don't know what price you were paying. It's quite easy to set up in a cooler bag or an older type hard plastic tackle box, as I just did.

If you are going the kit route be careful which one you choose. Garmin sells something called a "portable kit" that had a foam float. I mistakenly thought it had an iceducer----apparently not! They also sell another more expensive kit that has an iceducer.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Fonzie2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 28, 2023, 11:03 AM »
I bought the Garmin (and other items) yesterday at BassPro.
It was easy to put together and the kid at the checkout said he loves his unit.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Nov 28, 2023, 11:11 AM »
This guys Playlist on Garmin Striker units is quite nice ...some dosent apply to on ice in particular but some nice informational tutorial(s)

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline fatty crusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 28, 2023, 07:04 PM »
I have the striker combo for maybe 5 or 6 years? It will do everything you want it to do. The traditional flashers may be a bit quicker to pick up fish in regards to response time, but not enough to really matter. It is a top quality fish finder. I have had the panny the first year it came out and I still take the striker out for hole hopping, mobility, weight, and ease of use quite often. It is light, mobile and a good bargain choice for covering ground and locating.

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2023, 07:16 PM »
Side by side, my vex fl-18 was slightly faster and more detailed than my buddy's older striker, but only barely. He still had the edge on me when it came to catching until the beer caught up with him, then I took over.

The newer Garmin units are even better, plus more features and transferability to open water a lot easier/nicer.  Definitely can't go wrong
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Offline Dan in NH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 26, 2023, 08:08 AM »
I took my lowrance elite 5 off my boat and got the ice bundle for it. (The bag with ice transducer). I like the split screen flasher w/ chart option

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.