Author Topic: deadsticking: Bobber vs Rod Tip  (Read 5812 times)

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
deadsticking: Bobber vs Rod Tip
« on: Jan 03, 2020, 08:36 AM »
What did you guys prefer for your deadstick setup? I've always preferred a slip bobber to allow light biting fish to really get ahold of the bait, but I see a lot of guys going with just a soft tipped rod.

Why do you prefer the method you use?

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: deadsticking: Bobber vs Rod Tip
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2020, 08:44 AM »
I have only ever done the bobber method, but I'm going to switch up to a rod rocker setup for this year.  I found the bobber might be long gone before I notice.  I think I'll be more likely to notice the rod moving than a finesse bobber going under.  Following this thread closely.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2020, 08:50 AM »
soft tip with a little backbone for my perch dead sticks. Line tightens up and the tip starts dropping time to set the hook. It shows up on my flasher so can drop it back to same depth fast enough and see if fish chsed the other one up and stop on them if they did or start jigging to get multiples

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2020, 09:05 AM »
I haven't decided which way I like the best, but I'm leaning toward just the correct rod for the tactic rather than a float.  I've obtained a bait runner reel, so I'm hoping my bobber days are mostly over.

Offline MC_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2020, 09:39 AM »
What did you guys prefer for your deadstick setup? I've always preferred a slip bobber to allow light biting fish to really get ahold of the bait, but I see a lot of guys going with just a soft tipped rod.

Why do you prefer the method you use?

Whynotboth.jpg

I generally use a slip bobber weighted to have the top just barely above the surface, and a fairly soft tipped rod. Few inches of line so the bobber can be taken under. If I notice, great. If not, the rod tip acts just like a normal deadstick

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2020, 09:44 AM »
 Slip float with just enough weight to keep top of float above or just below the water surface. Also about 2' of slack line. #16 treble w/ minnow. I only dead stick for Walleye.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2020, 11:28 AM »
I don’t like a lot of clutter on my line or rods. The more I can get away with not using unnecessary terminal tackle, the better. I like a somewhat soft rod tip and a baitfeeder reel. Works well for pike. Don’t see why it wouldn't work well for other species although I haven’t tried yet.

If I’m deadsticking panfish I also prefer a soft tip. I use a TUCR Precision Noodle or a Bullwhip depending on bait selection. Crappie minnows work pretty well on the Bullwhip. Enough tip strength to monitor your minnow without looking like a bite but soft enough for the fish to confidently take it. With the PN I stick with smaller tungsten jigs and spikes. Half of jigging for pannies is deadsticking, ime, and just leaving whatever I’m using alone for a minute is more often than not enough to seal the deal on tough days.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2020, 11:32 AM »
I use a slip bobber that is weighted so that the tip is just above the water.  Then I pull out about 18" of slack in the line.  There is minimal resistance when the fish hits the minnow. A lively minnow will drag the bobber back and forth across the hole.  If the bobber rests up against the side of the hole, I pull the bobber across the hole to keep the minnow moving.

Offline snow snake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2020, 11:50 AM »
YES   
  those were the days
watching bobbers in ice holes
with  these new rods a small floating bobber  is not needed
but if younger children are fishing  they are   
Isn't that how we all started ? .
watching rod tips   has taken over.   these newer rods lighter
But still one can use a spring bobber ,some bites are hard to detect
still miss using small bobber !
snowsnake

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2020, 02:06 PM »
My rod is right next to me and I can see the tip.  The hole is further up and usually blocking the bobber from my view.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2020, 02:42 PM »
I, like many others, prefer a bobber that is weighted so that a lively minnow can pull it down a ways and the bait runner set to pay out line with little resistance. FISH ON!!  :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2020, 06:25 PM »
I have been using pencil style slip floats exclusively for over ten years now on all my ice rods, much less resistance than even a limp tipped rod. On a light bite with a correctly weighted pencil float and a bit of slack line there is virtually no resistance and the fish gets an extra second or two to ensure a good hook set. I probably see more fish lost in the winter to guys without a float due to an early hook set than anything, especially for walleye and perch. On a really light bite for walleye the jig can be set right on the bottom with the float laying flat, when the jig is picked up the float stands up.............once again almost zero resistance. Success equals confidence............ ..fish with whatever you have confidence in, for me it is a float.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2020, 06:31 PM »
I dont use a deadstick anymore.i quit that when i got a vexilar but if i did set out a dead stick it would have a thill mini shy bite float on it.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2020, 06:37 PM »
I have been using pencil style slip floats exclusively for over ten years now on all my ice rods, much less resistance than even a limp tipped rod. On a light bite with a correctly weighted pencil float and a bit of slack line there is virtually no resistance and the fish gets an extra second or two to ensure a good hook set. I probably see more fish lost in the winter to guys without a float due to an early hook set than anything, especially for walleye and perch. On a really light bite for walleye the jig can be set right on the bottom with the float laying flat, when the jig is picked up the float stands up.............once again almost zero resistance. Success equals confidence............ ..fish with whatever you have confidence in, for me it is a float.

X2...perfect setup and scenario. I use these.
https://www.wingitfishing.com/product-page/quick-swap-bobbers

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2020, 08:22 PM »
Right now, my deadstick rod is an old cheap Shakespeare graphite that I have to use a bobber with because that tip isn't bending. I like the Thill pencil floats. Since I can no longer find a fiberglass Ugly Stik, I'm going to get a Jason Mitchell or Scheels deadstick rod and try it without the bobber.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2020, 08:52 PM »
Those Beaver Dam fiberglass noodle rods are noodly.  They are rated UL.  So by comparing to the old Ugly Sticks, they'll be much softer.  Compared to HT Ice Blues, the Beaver Dam has more backbone.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2020, 09:13 PM »
I was kind of worried the Beaver Dams wouldn't have enough backbone.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2020, 09:27 PM »
Fish with any size to them makes the Beaver Dams feel under powered.  They are just UL rated.

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2020, 03:16 PM »
Interesting read, thanks for the replies. I guess the biggest thing keeping me using a float is not wanting to watch two rod tips. I tend to focus in on my jigging rod and can check my bobber quick with peripheral vision rather than having to watch a rod tip. Plus I fish at night a lot in a very dark shanty so a fluorescent float is just easier to monitor. I'd also worry about a deadstick with zero slack line getting pulled down the hole by a fast moving fish. To each their own though, watching rod tips seems to work extremely well for a lot of guys.

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2020, 03:40 PM »
There are many options, but my preference is a slip float with the bail left open.

I have been doing this for many years with great results. Often jigging will bring in finicky fish that will hit the dead stick but not the jig.

It's also easy to see when your minow is not lively and fresh one may be needed.

2x  that your peripheral vision picks up the float easily. 

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2020, 03:45 PM »
There are many options, but my preference is a slip float with the bail left open.

I have been doing this for many years with great results. Often jigging will bring in finicky fish that will hit the dead stick but not the jig.

It's also easy to see when your minow is not lively and fresh one may be needed.

2x  that your peripheral vision picks up the float easily. 

(Image removed from quote.)

Yup. Bail open, slack line AND hi-vis line helps that peripheral vision (clear leader however) 😉

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 05, 2020, 12:50 AM »
Interesting read, thanks for the replies. I guess the biggest thing keeping me using a float is not wanting to watch two rod tips. I tend to focus in on my jigging rod and can check my bobber quick with peripheral vision rather than having to watch a rod tip. Plus I fish at night a lot in a very dark shanty so a fluorescent float is just easier to monitor. I'd also worry about a deadstick with zero slack line getting pulled down the hole by a fast moving fish. To each their own though, watching rod tips seems to work extremely well for a lot of guys.
No need to watch a jigging rod if it is good quality and you have quality braid/ fluoro. I watch a Thill pencil bobber out of the periphery of my eye while I am jigging and watching a fishfinder. If I get a strike on the jigging rod, I feel it.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Jan 05, 2020, 02:11 AM »

If I really need a strike indicator...bobber or bead.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 05, 2020, 03:33 PM »
i go for a bobber. i can adjust a million different ways, and it works with whatever rod or line i'm using, so i can set up for 8 inch bluegill or 5 pound trout and still rely on the same sensitivity.

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 05, 2020, 04:34 PM »
For those that use slip bobbers, how do you keep the line marker in place when reeling in a fish? Seems like I always have to reset the knot after reeling in a fish with any heft to it and it really slows things down, especially fishing deeper.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Jan 05, 2020, 04:42 PM »
For those that use slip bobbers, how do you keep the line marker in place when reeling in a fish? Seems like I always have to reset the knot after reeling in a fish with any heft to it and it really slows things down, especially fishing deeper.

I use the string type on the small plastic sleeves. Snug 'em up good. Never an issue.

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 05, 2020, 04:46 PM »
That's all I use, too. Last weekend fishing LOW, had to reset the knot after almost every fish, no matter if I was using braid or mono. Same for my fishing buddy, so it wasnt just me. I just can't seem to get them tight enough to stay put.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Jan 05, 2020, 04:52 PM »
That's all I use, too. Last weekend fishing LOW, had to reset the knot after almost every fish, no matter if I was using braid or mono. Same for my fishing buddy, so it wasnt just me. I just can't seem to get them tight enough to stay put.

Are you leaving enough tails on the knot to tighten up now and then?  I need to periodically.

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 05, 2020, 04:54 PM »
There are a few variables in play (target species, bait, weather, etc.) but in general for my deadstick I most often use a lite-bite ice slip bobber cut/sized to just barely float above the water line so as to provide as little resistance as possible. I've found that even a really soft tip rod (that still has proper backbone) starts to load up within a few inches of deflection and builds resistance that a finicky fish will feel and spit.

I've also found that the bobber allows me to "see" better what is happening below such as did the fish grab and run or did they slowly, very slowly, grab the bait. Slow descents happen a lot with walleye, even monster walleye. I swear they suck it in and then just sit there or swim off in slow motion. I will often wait and watch the bobber sink several more inches before setting. Quite often when it's a slow descent I'll see a second bob that I infer to mean the fish has now inhaled the lure deeper.

I don't often have an issue with the marker moving, maybe because I use braid. It does sometimes shift and I'll just reset using my flasher so not to mess around too much trying to find bottom. I either use the thread type (https://shop.northlandtackle.com/terminal-tackle/slip-knot-stop/) tightened up real good or this type (http://www.clearlyoutdoors.com/fnimall/smart_stop_bobbers_micro.phtml).

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 05, 2020, 09:47 PM »
Yeah, but how do you reel it up if you are fishing in 40 feet of water?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.