Author Topic: strange winter  (Read 1664 times)

walleyechaser

strange winter
« on: Feb 14, 2006, 12:07 PM »
Hello all,

Its been a very different winter than usual and I've managed to catch a couple eyes in shallow water although not legal size.  I was wondering if this weather combined with minimal ice cover will keep the eyes shallow all winter long.  Or would you still go deeper during the mid winter months. 

I can't remember a winter like this so I'm kind of stumped.

dwayne

Re: strange winter
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2006, 11:57 AM »
The walleye bite here in upstate NY (at least for me) has been slower than years in the past.  I personally feel it has to do with the constantly changing weather patterns and lack of any stable conditions along with the constant run-off keeping the water colder than normal.  Typically I catch 20 to 30 keeper eyes during the hard water season but this year I am only at 6 total.

The eyes will go shallow in the low light contitions all winter long.  They can be caught shallower for longer periods of time in the early season but the twi-light times are good all season.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: strange winter
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2006, 06:42 PM »
The walleye bite here in upstate NY (at least for me) has been slower than years in the past.  I personally feel it has to do with the constantly changing weather patterns and lack of any stable conditions along with the constant run-off keeping the water colder than normal.  Typically I catch 20 to 30 keeper eyes during the hard water season but this year I am only at 6 total.

The eyes will go shallow in the low light contitions all winter long.  They can be caught shallower for longer periods of time in the early season but the twi-light times are good all season.

Dwayne..when you say shallower water...are you talking 8 foot or less??  9-15 foot??  I'm a novice to say the least for 'eyes through the ice and really don't know....I've got a spot over on Chaumont Bay thats 18-20 foot at the deepest and have an area where it comes up to around 10-12 foot,,,a nice rocky/flat bottom with minimal weeds.....and the eyes are caught in the deeper water during open water months....sound like a good place to try a night time trip???  Thanks, Esox
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.