Author Topic: Going walleye fishing for the very first time! Tips?  (Read 1725 times)

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
Going walleye fishing for the very first time! Tips?
« on: Nov 05, 2013, 09:41 PM »
A friend from college, who is fairly experienced in catching walleye offered to take me out this winter. I jumped on the offer. He fishes for them with tip-ups. I prefer to jig for everything. Any tips on jigging walleye? Ive been told to think of them as an oversized perch and to fish with that mindset. Anything special about these fish that I should know?
"Guys, Come look! This perch is as big as my house!"

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Going walleye fishing for the very first time! Tips?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2013, 12:53 AM »
I use jigging rap's, PK's spoons, slender spoons in almost that order. Some times I start with a PK's, as the fish slow down a jigging rap shines. I don't tip much but if I do I use pearch eys or a walleye eye ball. I don't camp in a hole unless it's hot. I drill a bunch of holes and move around until I find fish.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 2013, 12:36 AM »
I use rapala jiggin raps and swedish pimples. I dont tip the raps usually, but do tip the swedish pimples with a minnow head. They are a frustrating fish to figure out around my area and Im still learning too, but those 2 things have produced the most for me. Alot of times ill be on some crappie and get an eye. Youll see the crappie come in slowly on the flasher, but the walleye will scream in and devour! Exciting when it happens!

Edit: Almost forgot the rattlin flyer spoon. I think thats what its called anyway.

Offline thewyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go hard or go home
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2013, 10:01 AM »
99% of the eyes iv caught are on set lines but for jigging  the northland version of the jigging raps are great as well as buck shots and rattlnflys
go hard or go home

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2013, 07:26 AM »
 Rattl'N Flyer is my go to tool of choice for walleyes. I start with an 1/8 oz and if the bite looks tough I will drop to a 1/16 oz.
Where I am at a Techni-Glo in Red usually gives me an idea of what the day is going to bring. The main thing is to fish a lake that has a fair number of walleyes in it and try to get into the general area'

Good luck and have fun!

WS

Chute82

« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2013, 04:42 PM »
Watch your flasher if you have one.. Walleyes tend to slide in on the bottom to check out your jig or bait.  If the walleyes keep watching and not hitting,  change up your jigging technique.  Either bring the jig up higher and drop it, or tap the jig off the bottom turning up the bottom.  Hope that helps you..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.