Author Topic: I think I need to try something other than jigs?  (Read 4395 times)

Offline BigDVO

• Team IceShanty Regular
I think I need to try something other than jigs?
« on: Jan 31, 2011, 08:50 PM »
I am living in Northern Manitoba Canada and the only thing people seem to use ice fishing here is a jig and minnow. I have went out twice in the last week with my new Lowrance x67c. I fished for about 2.5 hrs each evening just before dark (prime time). Both times I caught the first eye that showed up on the screen (Purple Jig). The rest didn't seem to bite. I tried changing colors (Pink, White, Orange, and Yellow) and nothing seemed to intice them. Im wondering if I should head to Wal-Mart or Canadian Tire and buy some new hooks for my collection? Or maybe they are just not hungry???

Any info or advice would be excellent

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: I think I need to try something other than jigs?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2011, 11:47 PM »
Get some spoons to go with those jigs.  Sometimes the wobble and flutter action from a dropping spoon will seal the deal on the bite.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline BigDVO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2011, 06:48 AM »
Get some spoons to go with those jigs.  Sometimes the wobble and flutter action from a dropping spoon will seal the deal on the bite.

Thanks. I will try that today after work :) I have also read the previous threads about people's favorite lures and purchased some swedish pimples and jigging raps to try as well. I could not find any Slamo Chubby Darters at Canadian Tire or Wal-Mart. I may have to order online.

Offline 2fastwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 1 Man 1 Mission
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2011, 09:05 AM »
Try chartruse. northland jig with stinger, also try to put the hook through mouth, out gills, and back into side of minnow. thus creating a wounded dieing minnow that is a easyer target for a slow feeding fish.
Remember walleye move. you might just not me on them. I dont know the lake but it is something i found to work if there is eyes around just they are being finiky to bight. If you catch some or anything, try to match the bait they are feeding on. for ex, the walleye were feeing on fresh water shrimp heavy early on, i would use a dark jig with a minnow tail, now they are on to larger prey such as small perch and minnows.
just something a guy can try.

Offline BigDVO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2011, 08:09 AM »
Im happy to say that after reading the posts on peoples top 5 fav eye lures and others like it I decided to go down and purchase some swedish pimples and jigging raps. The swedish pimples did not seem to get any action but I did catch 4 nice eyes on the Jigging Raps. 3 of them on a blue and white one and 1 on a glow in the dark. My father and I were both surprised as we have never caught any walleye without using a minnow or somekind of bait (hell we have never tried). This sure opened my eyes. My father stuck with the white jig and minnow. He had a couple bites and caught one just before we packed up. It seems that the Jigging Rap was good early in the evening and the Jig and minnow produced near the end. Nice information to know :). I was not able to find any Salamo Chubby Darters at Wal-Mart or Canadian Tire, I am intrested to find out how they would work. I also want to try those new PK Lures that everyone is raving about. Anyways, I would like to tip my hat to you folks on the message boards. Without you guys I would have never tried any of these crazy hooks :)

Offline walliceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting to ice that first eye!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2011, 10:01 PM »
BigDVO,

Grats on nailin em! I still haven't landed an eye through the ice, maybe next week though. Also this is the first year where I have all the neccessary equipment to truly give an honest shot. Glad to hear you had some luck though!

Offline walleyeslayer1978

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Walleye Gods are angry, that's why.
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2011, 10:22 AM »
chubby darters work okay, but one lure you need to add to your arsenal is the northland buckshot rattle spoon. 3/8 oz, super glow perch. You'll be glad you did.
Still counting.....

Offline BigDVO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2011, 01:44 AM »
chubby darters work okay, but one lure you need to add to your arsenal is the northland buckshot rattle spoon. 3/8 oz, super glow perch. You'll be glad you did.

Awesome. Ill be sure to add it and report back asap ! Thanks for the tip

Offline BigDVO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2011, 03:07 PM »
Started hammering them on a Rapala Jigging Shad Rap (light blue and white with red chin). I used a 1/2 minnow on the nose hook and a dab of Berkley powerbait attractant. I caught 8 nice ones and the jig and minnow folks caught 2. I will post some pics in the next couple days. 

Offline steelheader

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2011, 07:08 PM »
Another thing to keep in mind is how you work the lure , it definitly depends on the walleyes mood , but they can be picky on presentation , I mostly jg for them , so I usually dead stick one rod and work the other one until I get some type of response , from what I noticed they will mostly come in check out the lure and if I don't instantly start pulling it away from them they will come up to it and not touch it and leave , so usually I will work it away with a slight jigging motion as I raise it up to 5' off bottom and if they pause and quit rising i will instantly jrop the lure back to the bottom and wait for them to chase it down and this cat and mouse deal usually takes about 3 to 4 time , but I think it just agrivates them enough where they finally just hammer it , I also tend to hit some dead sticked also , definitly depends on there mood , and I will use any thing from rapala's , sweatish pimple , cast maters , but my favorite this last couple years has been the discontinued red with yellow belly jig rap with a 2'' dropper hook off treble with bait on both . Just thought I would shre what works for me in upstate ny , good luck and keep putting those eyes on the ice .

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2011, 03:08 PM »
Blade baits, northland buckshot, and macho minnow spoons,  custom jig and spins slender spoons.

Offline nodak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2011, 08:05 PM »
I am also a huge fan of the buckshot. My go to 'eye lure is a 1/4 oz. yellow or white glow buckshot glow with a minnow head.  Keep a fresh head on there.  I like to quivver it about a foot off the bottom and raise it up as fish come in.  Another strategy I like is to take a jigging lip-less crank (chubby darter, Live target, lindy darter....) and jig it right next to a dead stick.  The lip-less crank does not always catch the fish but they draw fish in and you catch the eye on the dead stick.  It can work very well.  IMO Koopers Live Target lipless cranks are the best but they run about $12 a pop.  They look amazing and make quite a ruckus when you jig them.  I can hear the rattle fishing in 25 fow.  Good luck!  I am jealous you are fishing hard water already.

Edit: Didn't realize this was from last year.  I guess I am just so excited to get out that I don't read dates.
Big pike thru a hole are fun!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #12 on: Nov 21, 2011, 07:38 AM »
I fish the Bay of Quinte as much as I can each season (jumbo walleye capital of the world!) and what i use and see used the majority of the time are jigging raps (sz7) and then longer spoons with good action. It the heavier current areas of in deeper water the buckshot spoon can replace the longer flutter spoons.

The jigging rap is my first choice each time

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #13 on: Nov 22, 2011, 05:49 PM »
From Minnesota, land of the Walleye, and an ex-Waldo Tourney fisherman: Spoons and Rapala's for the Wallies; also good success with 1/8 oz yellow lead head jig with yellow twister tail, tipped with a black leech... jusy my .02. :thumbsup:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline eyesntightlines

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Beer on the ice is always nice!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2011, 10:51 PM »
Lots of good advice here thanks.

Offline grem3000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2012, 07:00 PM »
I have had two smaller ones hit Powerbait atomic teasers

Offline BigDVO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2012, 01:04 AM »
I have had two smaller ones hit Powerbait atomic teasers

Cool I will have to try some of those out !

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2012, 06:19 PM »
Spoons man, spoons

Offline gooseblaster49707

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 09, 2012, 09:17 PM »
big fat sucker minnow on a dead stick close to your jigging hole.    bring them in with the jig, give them fresh meat on the bobber to eat.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.