The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Braving the brutal temps this weekend  (Read 1918 times)

Offline iceflippin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Braving the brutal temps this weekend
« on: Feb 08, 2019, 12:08 PM »
I'm a little nervous, but I think I might give it a go this weekend despite the wind and temps. I think if I get my insulated hut up and anchored down fast and not leave the tent I should be good until it's time to pack up. I'll keep my propane in the truck cab on the drive so my heater works and bring my hand auger incase the gas wont fire. I just know I'll be disappointed if I just sit on the couch and look out the window when I could be fishing. Anybody else going to give it a go, got any good tips?

Offline mtcommonwalleyeguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Braving the brutal temps this weekend
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2019, 12:36 PM »
Sounds like you have the right idea. During college over in NoDak, used to fished with no hut in -20, we would drive on the ice and sit on the "calm" side of the vehicle and fish. If you can get your hut up and your heater going you'll be fine. I would advise going to lake where there will be a good chance of other fishermen, or bring a jump pack in case your vehicle decides to clam up. Also, if it's windy where you're at, avoid heading to lakes where you could get drifted in or have to fight them with no other fishermen around. Not ideal. Good luck!

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2019, 01:59 PM »
Nope. Between crappy roads, dangerous windchill and a probable jaw-locking roller-coaster barometer, sounds like a good weekend to make sausage, tie flies and sharpen auger blades.  🍺

Stay safe out there!
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline Ktfunk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2019, 03:53 PM »
Stay safe and keep warm

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2019, 04:08 PM »
I got back an hour ago and it was down right western out there.  Walked and the wind was coming from my right side to go out and coming on my left side on my way back.  It was awful and no fish but now am glad I went.  Got my fix.
wish you many hook-ups

Offline iceflippin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2019, 05:11 PM »
yea, I will prob be 300 yards max from the truck, so it should be do-able, plus I'll have 2 other folks with me. I need my fix too.

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2019, 05:20 PM »
I only went maybe 100 yards  from shore and left a note at the coffee maker for the wife of my location.  I gotta stop being lazy and take the hut.  It would help with the wind and cold.
wish you many hook-ups

Offline SLIMMETT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2019, 06:33 PM »
Weather conditions deteriorating rapidly this afternoon in North Central Montana, tomorrow doesn't look good.  Be prepared if you go,  good luck!

Offline missoulaicebeerdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2019, 07:32 PM »
Going to Ft. Peck in the A.M.  Been out there in -20 + blowing 15.  After the brutal ride on the sleds, we set up the pop-up immediately, (riding with propane canisters under the jacket to keep warm), (and bring the beer in a yeti to stay liquid) a wicking layer, 2-3 fleece, a wool then down.  Similar layering on the bottom, but I just wear oversized insulated carhart bibs on top of the layering.  Gloves under mittens.  We hit the warm(ish) pop-up when needed through out out the day, and before you know it..... suns going down.  Plenty snacks and whisky during the day..... its like the boy scouts- be prepared!

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2019, 08:45 PM »
You bet your sweet a** I'm going.  'Tis time to break out the shelter and the buddy heaters!  Pick a schooling fish that doesn't require a lot of movement throughout the day and you'll be fine with the setup you're describing.  Buddy heater + shelter = fishable in bitter cold temps.  Good luck, stay warm!

Offline slickice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2019, 08:55 PM »
I'm a little nervous, but I think I might give it a go this weekend despite the wind and temps. I think if I get my insulated hut up and anchored down fast and not leave the tent I should be good until it's time to pack up. I'll keep my propane in the truck cab on the drive so my heater works and bring my hand auger incase the gas wont fire. I just know I'll be disappointed if I just sit on the couch and look out the window when I could be fishing. Anybody else going to give it a go, got any good tips?

Offline slickice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2019, 09:08 PM »
Oops.  Plan to hit Ft. Peck when the weather isn't quite so cold.  I prefer to "run & gun" which makes sheltering difficult. Trying to keep holes open becomes a challenge if setting tip-ups.  Winds over 15mph with sub zero temps is really tough when chasing "eyes".  That's what's in store for the hi-line (10 day forecast).  I'll wait a few more days before pulling the trigger. Getting soft in my old age. 

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2019, 09:08 PM »
Also, smile.  Temps in my neck of the woods won't top freezing for well over a week (if then).  I look at this as a season extender!

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 11, 2019, 02:58 PM »
I went out this weekend. It was -9 when i left the house. Got to the lake and it was +14 up there. A pleasant surprise. Fishing was unfortunately slow but I did ice my first ever grayling which was cool. Got back to town and the temps were -4 so it was a doubly good thing I went. Not only was it warmer up at the lake, but I also got out fishing :)
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2019, 03:43 PM »
We are letting the cold temps make ice on Peck.  We usually hit Crooked or Hell Creek but may go fish the dam and Duck creek in a week or so. 

We often camp on the ice and night time temps usually get below zero, but when they stay below zero all day it gets tougher.  As a younger man we used to do the same on Devils Lake but then we had three feet of ice, plowed roads and a pickup to haul a camper/ice house out there.

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2019, 04:04 PM »
but I did ice my first ever grayling which was cool.

That is cool, Noon, congrats!  Before you mentioned that, I hadn't even considered chasing them through the ice.  Were you targeting trout and one just hit the same setup?

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2019, 04:50 PM »
That is cool, Noon, congrats!  Before you mentioned that, I hadn't even considered chasing them through the ice.  Were you targeting trout and one just hit the same setup?

That is exactly what happened. Was using a tiny glow jig and had a light hit, set the hook and was thinking "This is a much nicer trout than the little brookies I'd been getting into!" popped it out the hole and it happened to be a grayling. Second one I have seen come out of the ice in this spot but everyone I have ever talked to said you can only catch them in the summer, so I have no clue haha.
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2019, 06:27 PM »
They're fantastic fighters. I love chasing them on a 4-5 wt. fly rod in the summer and will definitely be adding them to my target list under the ice.  Thanks for the info!  I'm curious, have you ever kept one for the table?

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 11, 2019, 09:13 PM »
They're fantastic fighters. I love chasing them on a 4-5 wt. fly rod in the summer and will definitely be adding them to my target list under the ice.  Thanks for the info!  I'm curious, have you ever kept one for the table?

They're good eating, we used to go get them a few times in the summer for my grandmother to cook. Wed catch some nice ones on the river chasing whitefish in the winter, but had to throw them back.

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 11, 2019, 09:27 PM »

First one i ever caught and cant keep them where i was fishing. No idea how they are to eat but it looks like meandcuznalfy has enjoyed them. I wouldnt even know how to target them but im sure they are a blast on a light fly rod

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 12, 2019, 04:12 PM »
They're good eating

Good to hear.  I went and fished Handkerchief Lake before they rotenoned it and fully intended to bring some home since the limit was lifted.  However, it appears that people have mixed opinions about them.  I read that unless you eat them streamside/lakeside they're not very good.  I guess it's like duck: you either love it or hate it.

I wouldnt even know how to target them but im sure they are a blast on a light fly rod

They are indeed.  I hadn't a clue how to catch them when I went to Handkerchief, but found that they behaved much the same as the cutties that were in there.  I found them at the inlet and over weed beds and was able to pick them off with same small flies as I'd use for trout (prince nymphs, pheasant tails, etc.)  Seemed like the non-beaded variety performed better for me.

Offline elkstalker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 12, 2019, 05:59 PM »
We fished, warm in the shack but never got above 0 outside, when the fishing got slow up I tied prospecting around and only made it about 5 minutes before wind and cold chased me back to the warmth of the heater.  Few things I learned, ATV took 10 minutes of constant cranking to start at -20 temps, thankful for jumper cables, also the toggle switch on my eskimo auger broke (looks metal but just plastic inside), if you disconnect the wires from the switch housing the auger will run, you just have to touch the wires together to kill it.  Even so, never hurts to throw in the hand auger.

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 13, 2019, 10:07 AM »

They are indeed.  I hadn't a clue how to catch them when I went to Handkerchief, but found that they behaved much the same as the cutties that were in there.  I found them at the inlet and over weed beds and was able to pick them off with same small flies as I'd use for trout (prince nymphs, pheasant tails, etc.)  Seemed like the non-beaded variety performed better for me.

This one I just caught and the one I saw caught a few years ago were both caught over weed beds.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.