The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Best tip up  (Read 8217 times)

Offline Jason1817

• Team IceShanty Regular
Best tip up
« on: Jan 19, 2016, 06:29 PM »
I'm looking to buy some new tip ups ( going to order 15) and I'm not sure which to get? I was considering beaver dam tip ups or maybe the Round HT polar thermal....there are so many choices....

What makes 1 tip up better then the next ?
Smoothness ?

I know I'd  like a tip up that doesn't give me allot of trouble  and that is so smooth the fish has no idea there's something on the other end....

I'm just getting into the tip up fishing....I've been jigging fish for awhile....

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Offline rt dak

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Best tip up
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2016, 06:37 PM »
Really depends on how much you want to spend. I have Indian Hills and I love them, but 15 of them is going to run you $500 at the cheapest. Why do you need 15 anyway?

Offline Eddie Spaghetti

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2016, 06:39 PM »
I like Beaver Dam. They are smooth, and well built. But I have a mixed bag, a beaver dam, frabill hardwood, HT Husky tip-ups, and a bunch of the plastic rail style. I bought some new cross style last year when I found them on sale. You'll drop @ $40 each on a BD.

Offline Tripper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2016, 06:46 PM »
I like Jack Traps the best. Why?  Because they are built to last and perform without any modifications right out of the box. They hold plenty of line for deep spots and can be set really sensitive for trout.  :tipup:  They aren't cheap but you can find them one sale at places like KTP.

Indian hill's are a nice trap as well.

Offline Jason1817

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2016, 06:47 PM »
I have 2 boys that love to ice fish and my wife surprisingly likes to go as well....with that said I actually only need about 12 bc they all like to sit in the tent jig and eat snacks lol.... I actually never handled a beaver dam tip up my bait shop doesn't have them....and I did t grow up ice fishing just started about 4 years ago....

Would u say there is a big difference in smoothness between beaveer dam and some of the others ?

Offline Jason1817

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2016, 06:48 PM »
Those jack traps are they pretty smooth ?

Offline Jason120

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2016, 06:52 PM »
As others said depends what you want to spend. I've never had issues with the regular HT tip-ups. Also I did buy three windlas tip-ups last year and honestly I wouldn't buy them again. Too much of a pain in the rear end to set up as far as I'm concerned. Never had a flag on them all last year either. My dad is going to try them this year so I'll see if he does good with them or not. I almost bought some Jack Traps but ended up spending the money I saved on a power auger so it worked out in the end. One other note, if you buy the regular HT tip-ups, buy the ones with the metal spools. They're a bit more durable.

Offline Mt.Mike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2016, 06:57 PM »
I have a mixed bag of traps and rail types. Recently (end of last season) I have been using the Frabill Arctic Fire tip up and seem to like it so far. It seems smooth to me but I have nothing to compare it to, like the beaver dams. I've seen them on sale for $12 recently. Anyone else have feedback on the Frabills?

Offline Jason1817

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2016, 07:07 PM »
I'd rather buy them one time, I have the tendency to buy something and not really like it....get rid of it and get something a bit better....with that said if it's a bit more on initial investment I'm not too worried about that....just don't wanna have to buy them twice...lol

I'm open to all suggestions

Thanks very much

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2016, 07:09 PM »

these are 40 ups the brown ones are 25 years old and the green ones up to 20 years old they served me well and now you can get 15 for less than300 complete
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline MFDIRT13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2016, 07:14 PM »
Jacks traps and heritage lakers, with a few small HT orange flat traps for bows n brookies!
On the hunt for TROUT!!!

Offline treesparrow1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2016, 07:20 PM »
I probably have 30 tipups and can honestly say they all have their +'s & -"s. Beaverdam tipups I believe fish better than any I own (I am unfamiliar with Indian Hills, and I told my wife I needed no more tipups, imagine that). However with powder snow and a windy day you will go nuts uncovering them as you will any low sitting tipup. That's when the old standup magnetics are the tipup of choice. With that said the new magnetics that I have bought are junk. They are super fragile even though they were capable of fishing well. The old Worth magnetics were durable and fished well but have not been made in 20+ years. Wish some manufacture would build a standup magnetic with some of the features of the new ones and be durable like the old worth. I have PVC pipes that I painted bright and stand them up beside my sets so  I can find them after dark and in drifting snow ( that from experience).
   Beaverdams are super smooth and well built, and fish supper. They are my go to tipup.

Offline Jason1817

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2016, 07:25 PM »
1mofish
I'm checking those out online right now....they look pretty nice I seen u have a bobber on a few
Of those how does that come into play I'm sorry I've only ever fished with the flat trap style tip ups

One thing I left out is most of the fish we are after is panfish/perch/and a occasional walleye....maybe some trout depending on the lake

Offline hardwaterwalker814

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2016, 08:02 PM »
I always used the 40 ups still have ones from when I first started ice fishing they're also nice when theres snow on the ice with them being taller you can see the flag  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
A watched flag never flies

Offline IceRebel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2016, 08:07 PM »
Artic fire are by far the best I've ever used.

Offline MO FISH jr.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2016, 09:36 PM »
1mofish
I'm checking those out online right now....they look pretty nice I seen u have a bobber on a few
Of those how does that come into play I'm sorry I've only ever fished with the flat trap style tip ups

One thing I left out is most of the fish we are after is panfish/perch/and a occasional walleye....maybe some trout depending on the lake
I also have the 40 up's handed down from my dad, so they're at least 36 years old. We use the bobbers as depth gauge for quick reset,some people use buttons or knots.

Offline oneman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2016, 11:48 PM »
I have Beaverdam's and a buddy of mine has Jack Traps. Both are very nice. The reason I prefer the Beaverdam's is because you can easily see if the fish is running or not with the little spinner on top. My buddy has actually stated he would rather the BD's now also. We notice the Jack Traps get many more wind flags also even though they aren't supposed too. The major advantage to the Jack Traps to me would be if you were fishing in deep snow as they sit much higher.
There is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Offline perch assasin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • jig em' up
« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2016, 12:22 AM »
i like the heritage lakers fish any species highly visible very sturdy and if you do break something on them
 replacment parts are easy to find

Offline Keithw99

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 20, 2016, 04:20 AM »
I personally use frabill yellow plastic ones. Have them for 6 years and never had a problem. I use polar 15 lbs line.

Offline Tripper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 20, 2016, 05:11 AM »
I have Beaverdam's and a buddy of mine has Jack Traps. Both are very nice. The reason I prefer the Beaverdam's is because you can easily see if the fish is running or not with the little spinner on top. My buddy has actually stated he would rather the BD's now also. We notice the Jack Traps get many more wind flags also even though they aren't supposed too. The major advantage to the Jack Traps to me would be if you were fishing in deep snow as they sit much higher.

If you're getting wind flags on Jacks there's a problem. I have used these traps for years and have had zero wind flags.  On super windy days place the trap in the hole so the wind is facing the triper hook. Are you adjusting the flag height for bait size?

I have no experience with BD, but jacks are super smooth and dependable. :tipup:

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 20, 2016, 06:22 AM »
I think POLOR tipups were the best ever made.

Offline I tie flies

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 20, 2016, 06:41 AM »
I'm new to this forum but have been fishing for many years and have a hodgepodge of tip-ups collected over the years. I use all of them for one reason or the other - windy, snowy, frigid, etc. Worth magnetic, Polar insulated, and the regular wooden X tip-up all work nicely. I've even made some homemade tip-ups that work well - they are actually a holder for a jigging rod that has a trip mechanism then you can fight the fish with the rod. Enjoy the day.
gettin' old ain't for sissies;-)

Offline russelln114

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 20, 2016, 08:04 AM »
For me it's the jawjacker for sure. I have many types of tip-ups that i don't use anymore including polar. pm me and i'll give them to you at a fair price.

Offline JustTheTip?

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 20, 2016, 08:06 AM »
I've used a few different type and my fav by far are my new frabill calibrator line counter tip-ups..

Quick and easy to setup, smooth, reliable, pack small, and have the cool line counter/calibrator lcd that tells you depth of your bait, time of bite, time since bite, and how much line has been taken.

I target the large toothy critters and have been very pleased with these.
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You have to set yourself on fire."

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 20, 2016, 08:56 AM »
Polar HT, under $10,very easy to use,very durable. The eye by the reel is directional and turns the way the fish runs which means less drops.Some of mine are over 30 years old. The thing that caught my eye,was you mostly Panfish. Although I've caught perch and crappie on tip ups,jigging is way more productive. The thing about polars,you have 4 settings from the get go,lightest,light,medium,and heavy. That just out of the box,you can adjust the main shaft that the reels on up or down,for lighter or heavier setting. I  raise the shaft when use jumbo baits for pike so the bait does not set the flag off. Another good option would be the new magnetic HT with the hole cover. I had a couple of old magnetic pop ups years ago the could be tweaked to go off if a fish breath on the bait, I caught many Lake Arthur giant crappie on those,still to this day 16.75 inch on a tip up. Hope this helps.

Offline Ridge runner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 20, 2016, 12:29 PM »
I have tried many kinds but the best ones are HT thermal tip ups cabelas has them for $15 I think they work great easy to use and the best part is your hole will not freeze up on you causing you to miss flags, I was out Monday with it being 5 degrees I think and there was a pretty good wind all day, never had to clean the holes or make sure they weren't frozen in, unlike my buddy's they iced up every couple minutes.

Offline treesparrow1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 20, 2016, 05:20 PM »
I made some homemade plywood plates for under my Beaver Dam and others like the B.D. That keeps the ice out and snow. However with drifting the low tipups have the habit of drifting in. That is where any of the standups shine.

Offline Jason1817

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 20, 2016, 06:28 PM »
Thank you all very much for the information....I really appreciate it

Offline Killianman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 20, 2016, 07:54 PM »
Best is building your own

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 21, 2016, 09:39 PM »
Jawjackers, I just purchased my first one of my own but I've seen them in action before. Definate set on thr hook, You get to rod fight vs hand lining, and super compact to transport and store. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.