The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: buying a shanty  (Read 3432 times)

Offline icepal

• IceShanty Rookie
buying a shanty
« on: Dec 22, 2005, 10:07 AM »
Fellas I am interested in buying a shanty.  Does anyone have any suggestions on which model to purchase?  I have been looking at the clam.  What is the best model and are they really worth having? 

Thanks for your Help!

Offline Red Lund

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish like Kastmasters!!!
Re: buying a shanty
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2005, 10:19 AM »
Ice Pal,

I have the fish trap scout, and cant believe I ever fished without it.  Your able to dress way less bulky, because between the wind break and how the sun heats up the dark colored fabric, you can be warm in much less clothing and if you use a small heater, or lantern at night, you can fish for any amount of time in total comfort, no matter how cold and windy.

Also, if your jigging for panfish, without the wind, you will be able to detect even the lightest strikes, that you may miss outside on a bucket.

RL
NJ by address, PA by heart

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2005, 12:17 PM »
The HT Polar escape, is by far the best, in my opinion.  I have owned 3 other shanty's none of them comes close to this one. 

A buddy and I put 28 hrs a week on the ice for 3 months 2 years ago and last year I'm not really sure but 15-18 hrs a week all in that shanty.  They are great.

Do a search on ice fishing supplies hit the Scott peterson's sight he is local, you can view then there, and he will match any price around.

Snapper

Offline R.V. ICEMAN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • VEX, is sure an expensive depth finder..
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2005, 12:20 PM »
buy the clam 2000, its roomy, lights, great protection from the wind, bought one last year, and love it.    buy a coleman heater, wild cat, i think is the name. you'll be fishing in a t shirt.  its very roomy. and compact when traveling.
The more fish we release, is more fish we all can catch.  b/c we all like to catch.   Catch, Photo, Release!!  Such an easy concept, but so hard for others to understand!!!!!

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2005, 06:11 PM »
Clam 6800. plenty of room. easy to set up.

HIMO

It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline g3

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • life is good!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2005, 01:59 PM »
i have the scout too,does everthing i want from a shanty!!

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 25, 2005, 11:08 AM »
I got the fishtrap pro for x-mas. I had shoulder surgery recently and wont be able to get out for at least another week. >:( Hated to miss this early ice season but i gotta take care of this old body. :'( Hope everyone is having a merry christmas and have a happy new year too. :tipup:

Offline Fetters

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 25, 2005, 06:44 PM »
Frabil Ranger solo, if you want light weight, if you want super durability, otter or clam,  but they weigh twice as much.

Offline BCJensen

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ICE IS ON FLAGS UP!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2005, 07:56 AM »
I have a clam 2000.  I love it.  You need to mount it to a sled for pulling in snow cover it likes to plow,  making it a bit of a pain in the butt.  You do not need a hole lot of heater to keep it very cozy.  I have a 3000 BTU Coleman Catalytic Heater.  Makes it very nice.

Offline CAMOTIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2005, 04:36 PM »
I have a clam 2000.  I love it.  You need to mount it to a sled for pulling in snow cover it likes to plow,  making it a bit of a pain in the butt.  You do not need a hole lot of heater to keep it very cozy.  I have a 3000 BTU Coleman Catalytic Heater.  Makes it very nice.

bc-give me a PM to CAMOTIM. I may have a solution for your Clam transport

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2005, 02:45 PM »
I've got a Fish Trap Pro...Love it.  Been awesome for me.  IMO the way to go is the flip over portable one.  I can fish a spot and stay toasty and if I have to move I just flip it over my back and move, get to my new hole, sit down, and flip it back over my head and I'm sitting toasty again fishing a new spot in seconds.  Compared to other types of shanty's, I can fish many more spots quickly than I could otherwise.

Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline BCJensen

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ICE IS ON FLAGS UP!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2005, 08:54 PM »
bc-give me a PM to CAMOTIM. I may have a solution for your Clam transport

did you get my pm??/

Offline R.V. ICEMAN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2005, 09:10 PM »
brent,  did you get the PMs
The more fish we release, is more fish we all can catch.  b/c we all like to catch.   Catch, Photo, Release!!  Such an easy concept, but so hard for others to understand!!!!!

Offline BCJensen

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ICE IS ON FLAGS UP!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2005, 07:25 AM »
no i would like too

Offline R.V. ICEMAN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2005, 12:13 PM »
brent congrats on your promotion at work :bow: :clap: :thumbsup:

Offline BCJensen

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ICE IS ON FLAGS UP!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 30, 2005, 01:21 PM »
brent congrats on your promotion at work :bow: :clap: :thumbsup:

What are you talking about..  I think that I am stepping in to something.

Offline R.V. ICEMAN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 30, 2005, 04:01 PM »
being a regular

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #17 on: Dec 30, 2005, 04:21 PM »
I have the shapell 3000 dx.  It is extremely roomy for one person to fish out of with all his gear inside out of the elements.  I have alot of gear also.  I have a aqua vu, vexilar and all the other stuff that is all inside with me.  It also fits two guys both over 200 pounds with plenty of room also.  it is also very light to cary or drag so far, but i have yet to drag it out through heavy snow.  i think that it weighs either 32 or 42 pounds.  Best investment yet this season. 

Jiggerman

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline R.V. ICEMAN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 01, 2006, 07:16 PM »
the clam 2000 works for me,,,,,lots of room...lite,,,,,,buy a coleman,,,,,black cat heater, and you'll be warm as hell

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
« Reply #19 on: Jan 01, 2006, 08:46 PM »
Hey, I'm a South Central PA native, Alaskan by chance.

I bought a HT Enterprises Polar Deluxe 2-man pop up shelter @ wallyworld for $130. Weighs in  @ 10lbs and has a fast set up. Comes with a carry case, ice screws, skirt. Best choice for the dime store fisherman, Check it out below.
http://www.htent.com/Shelters/polar%20deluxe.htm

Offline Irrgang131

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 12, 2006, 08:40 AM »
Depends on how you fish.  I have a clam 5600 its nice and roomy and easy to set up.  It holds 3 people with enough room to fish or its made for 4 with a little tighter space.  Its not bad to move still up unless the snow is deep then it acts like a plow.  I use it more when i'm fishing somewhere that I am not going to move alot.  If you move a lot a recomend the fish trap style.  They flip over you and when you move you can easily put your gear in the sled part.  If I fish somewhere I have to move alot I use my homemade shanty its a little heavy but its alot more convinent. 

Offline icepal

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 12, 2006, 11:53 AM »
I am looking at buying the clam 2000.  I am not a large person and I can just about stand up in it and it seems to be the most practical if I have a pal along.  Thanks for all your opinions there appreciated.  Hope to see some of you on the ice if it lasts.

Offline R.V. ICEMAN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 12, 2006, 12:10 PM »
icepal,,the clam2000 works great :o :o :o :o :o,,,roomy , light, and you put your seat where you want it, its not already built in,,,,,,,get a heater,,,and in 5 min you'll be sitting there in shorts ;)

Offline slocum

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 12, 2006, 02:19 PM »
Hey Ice Pal,  I have a Fish Trap Scout and like it alot, but am trying to lightning my load and still be able to take my flasher and other goodies so i have been looking at a company called gooseview. They make a two man shelter that only ways 20lbs. and more room than i have. ican fish two jigging rods at once and it sets up in less than a minute, also cost only $199.00 at cabelas. I do like my fish Trap Scout but can't fish two jigging rods very effectively when it is closed up. Either way good luck!!! :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.