Author Topic: Bluegill help  (Read 3117 times)

trying2fish

Bluegill help
« on: Jan 15, 2004, 08:08 PM »
  ??? Why when i go to ponds that aqre so loaded with blugillsw in the summer, im talking catch them on anything, its sickning, big too. And when i try to ice fish them, with small #10 with a spike i get maybe on all day if that,  im talking about a pond the size of a football eild it gets 12feet deep. Help?

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
Re:Bluegill help
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2004, 09:16 PM »
you didnt say what gear your using,summer tactics dont work very well in the winter. lets start with the pole,it needs to have a very soft tip and even a strike indicater will help. Next look at the line, 1#or2# max. any heaver means less strikes! Then on the buisness end #12or#14 jig with bee moth, spike ect. ect. Most of the time on a pond I like to start in the deepest water 2"to 6" off the bottom. Works for me 8 out of 10 times but not always. Guess thats why its fishing and not catching, good luck

Offline Tburt 27

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2004, 07:56 AM »
What i like do do when fishing a pond is start out by find the deepest hole in the pond.  Then use 2 #12 jigs about 7 to 10 inches apart.  The color of the jig depends on the water color sun and so on.  Most of the time i use a darker one on the bottom jig tiped with spikes and a lighter color on the top jig with a bee month or a wiggler.  Then when i start catching gills the will tend to tell u what they like that day.  Thats just one of the things i like to do when ice fishing ponds in the winter.

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2004, 09:59 PM »
ive fished some small 1 acre ponds loaded with panfish / spring fed the whole deal and wont even read a fish put the camera down there last year adn saw fish but they were totally inactive so it leads me to bleieve that smaller ponds are not productive in the winter     but i have fished a pond exactly liek u are talking about foorball field size 12ft deep and jsut slam the pumpkinseeds and crappie in there all year long
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.